The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Meesen

at the risk of being howled down......I still think there is more upside to Meesen that Maric in the long term.........TALENT WISE

The clinchers in this equation will always be desire, homesickness, and ability to stay injury free.

Re: Meesan

A well credentialled Sth Aussie lad who should not be judged on his performances in the Richmond system.

But I agree with Stiffy don't think we are looking for his type of player ....not saying he's bad or anything ....think he's more a HFF and I have no idea about his aerobic capacity or speed
Fairly quick I heard, believe he was a state 100m schoolboy champion. Thought of as a N.Brown gamebreaker type who can do some special things with the footy when given time and space. Could well be a handy addition to the Crows line up with their aging midfield and some kids moving into those positions, Meyer would be a handy player to have on a flank/wing. Think it could be something both sides consider at trade week given the Crows do have a number of ruckmen as mentioned while the Tigers have a number of mids but a lack of rucks.

at the risk of being howled down......I still think there is more upside to Meesen that Maric in the long term.........TALENT WISE

The clinchers in this equation will always be desire, homesickness, and ability to stay injury free.

I agree with this. Talent wise, he is far superior.

Fairly quick I heard, believe he was a state 100m schoolboy champion. Thought of as a N.Brown gamebreaker type who can do some special things with the footy when given time and space. Could well be a handy addition to the Crows line up with their aging midfield and some kids moving into those positions, Meyer would be a handy player to have on a flank/wing. Think it could be something both sides consider at trade week given the Crows do have a number of ruckmen as mentioned while the Tigers have a number of mids but a lack of rucks.

The Crows aren't that lacking in smalls, and a good tall is a lot rarer and more valuable than a good small.

I think Meesen could definitely be a first choice ruck for us, unfortunately he's been injured at times when he had shot. I also look forward to seeing him play - if he can get himself fit and switched on, I think he'll overtake Maric. Griff, I'm not sure - he's surprised the hell out of all of us and if he keeps developing at the rate he is, could be something special.

Ditto for me. I'm still of the belief that Meesen is the best potential ruckman of our new breed. Remind me more of a Rehn than a Pitto thought. For his & AFC's sake, hopefully he can stay injury-free & realise the potential.

Meesen + Maric/KT in the Ruck

KT, Sellar, Griff and Walker all tearing the competition apart up forward.

We can dream can't we :D

The Crows aren't that lacking in smalls, and a good tall is a lot rarer and more valuable than a good small.

I think Meesen could definitely be a first choice ruck for us, unfortunately he's been injured at times when he had shot. I also look forward to seeing him play - if he can get himself fit and switched on, I think he'll overtake Maric. Griff, I'm not sure - he's surprised the hell out of all of us and if he keeps developing at the rate he is, could be something special.
Was not suggesting you were lacking in smalls just with the older guys nearing the end a kid that has had 3 years in the system and a ready made replacement might not be to bad a pick up for Meesen if he is in fact homesick and wanting to move back. Both first rounders in 2004 neither has really established themselves at AFL level perhaps time to cut the losses if they are not working out as planned.

it would be frightening if he was........dare to dream.....:thumbsu: :D

He actually is mobile enough. Even more mobile than Sellar is I believe.

From afc.com.au

Tippett was sick at the AFL’s draft camp and could not complete the testing but he did a limited testing program in Brisbane in November. Despite limited preparation following minor surgery to clear his nose, he tested extremely well. His standing vertical jump of 73cm would have put him at the top of the list at the camp, and he clocked 8.11sec for an agility run that would have ranked fifth at the camp. Tippett also ran 2.99sec for 20m - the quickest time by a big man easily - and ran 13.2 for the shuttle.

Was not suggesting you were lacking in smalls just with the older guys nearing the end a kid that has had 3 years in the system and a ready made replacement might not be to bad a pick up for Meesen if he is in fact homesick and wanting to move back. Both first rounders in 2004 neither has really established themselves at AFL level perhaps time to cut the losses if they are not working out as planned.

As you can see from this thread, I think there is a fair bit of excitement at our Club about Meesen - we don't really need to cut any losses as yet. He's a big man whose had a few injuries, if we can't get real value for him I can't see us letting him go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused: not for Meesen ....we'll keep him thanks.

Your way over rating Hughes

It was a joke. I lol'd (which is crucial).

Seriously though, I'm not at all confident of him being on the list next year unless he EXPLODES back into the SANFL after injury. Edit: To clarify, we wouldn't outright delist him but try to trade him methinks.

As you can see from this thread, I think there is a fair bit of excitement at our Club about Meesen - we don't really need to cut any losses as yet. He's a big man whose had a few injuries, if we can't get real value for him I can't see us letting him go.

Agreed. Is Meesen out of contract?

It was a joke. I lol'd (which is crucial).

Seriously though, I'm not at all confident of him being on the list next year unless he EXPLODES back into the SANFL after injury.
That comment suggests that he will get delisted unless he performs. The only way he won't be on the list is if HE want out!

Thats was what I was talking about, if his injuries are preventing him from reaching his potential at Adelaide then prehaps getting in another player that canget on the field is worth a trade. There are 4 ruckmen on your list already with Sellar considered a forward/ruckman going by drafting reports. That would still give you 5 players capable of filling the role. As I said Meyer being a HFF possible winger would release a kid you have playing that role into a midfield role at best at the very least you add another midfielder to the list in case of injuries to those already established. Just get the feeling this is something the 2 sides could well be considering even at this early stage of the year.

Thats was what I was talking about, if his injuries are preventing him from reaching his potential at Adelaide then prehaps getting in another player that canget on the field is worth a trade. There are 4 ruckmen on your list already with Sellar considered a forward/ruckman going by drafting reports. That would still give you 5 players capable of filling the role. As I said Meyer being a HFF possible winger would release a kid you have playing that role into a midfield role at best at the very least you add another midfielder to the list in case of injuries to those already established. Just get the feeling this is something the 2 sides could well be considering even at this early stage of the year.

I don't think he had that many injuries previous to this one, just couldn't break into the side. This injury came at the worst possible time for him, he would've had serious gametime. Hopefully this encourages him to stay.

Just on Biggles, I really doubt he'll retain his spot on the list when he returns. I can see the club giving him some work in an off-field role.

yer pretty sure meesen signed on bfor biglands got hurt!!!

he has been a real disappointment tho!!! we really should have gone with cameron wood wen we had the chance!!! there wasnt much diff between the two and wood has been nominated for the rising sun this yr and has looked really good in brisbane!!!

im not sure y we would ever waste a first round top 10 draft pick on a ruckman tho!!! they always take a long time to develop and it just doesn seem worth it!!!!

we picked up hudson mature age and he has been really good for us!!! we should jus trade and pick up rookie ones so we can develop them over time!!!! not waste valuable picks on them!!!!

Besides being illiterate, you also don't seem to have much idea.

he has been a real disappointment tho!!!

You expected a ruckman, whom we drafted in 2004 to be seeting the competition alight at the start of 2007

we really should have gone with cameron wood wen we had the chance!!! there wasnt much diff between the two and wood has been nominated for the rising sun this yr and has looked really good in brisbane!!!

First of all 'The Rising Sun'? The best Japanese Player ?? :confused:

This is the same Cameron Wood who was rated far below Meesen and the same Cam Wood who was dropped from the Brisbane seniors?

im not sure y we would ever waste a first round top 10 draft pick on a ruckman tho!!! they always take a long time to develop and it just doesn seem worth it!!!!

Because he was and still is an awesome prospect. We needed a ruckman, he was the best by far in that draft class. So we took him. Simple enough to me.

we picked up hudson mature age and he has been really good for us!!! we should jus trade and pick up rookie ones so we can develop them over time!!!! not waste valuable picks on them!!!!

Yes, lets not draft to requirements. Lets not take the best on offer. Straight out of the Greg Miller playbook.

haha rising sun, but anyway Meese had bad luck this year when he got injured.. Griffin is probably only in the side because Meese and Maric and early season injuries and he has done alright with his chances.. don't write off Meesen yet hopefully he gets himself fit and pushes for a spot later in the season

RSunLogoH.gif

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back