The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: We MUST re-sign Meesen!

I really do think you have have a dilemma with Meesen. He was in the top 10 draftees of 2004 and he has not come on as Adelaide would have liked.

Once again, people don't understand ruck development. It's his 3rd year on the list and I'd expect him to play some AFL this year.

Another problem is he is a Victorian boy and he could go to one of nine Melbourne base sides.

Thats more of a good thing than a problem. If he wanted to go home, a bidding war would be very competitive.

Once again, people don't understand ruck development. It's his 3rd year on the list and I'd expect him to play some AFL this year.

Thats more of a good thing than a problem. If he wanted to go home, a bidding war would be very competitive.

I do understand with our ruck depth. We have no ruckman and it takes time understood :)

With the #1 draft pick, you're going to get a very special one.

I dont want Meesen because he is your player. This has been our problem for years taking other teams players. I would prefer to get our own. At the end of the day Meesen should stay in Adelaide and play for Adelaide :)

I dont want Meesen because he is your player. This has been our problem for years taking other teams players. I would prefer to get our own. At the end of the day Meesen should stay in Adelaide and play for Adelaide :)

I don't mean PSD. The real #1 pick.

I dont want Meesen because he is your player. This has been our problem for years taking other teams players. I would prefer to get our own.
Like your current captain. ;)

Release the Meese.

With Biglands coming back and Griffin and Maric developing we can afford to let John go

No we can't. Even if this is a pisstake it's trash.

Biglands won't be on the list next year anyway.

No we can't. Even if this is a pisstake it's trash.

Biglands won't be on the list next year anyway.
IF we keep Biglands he should never ruck again. Not that I don't rate his rucking abilities (well, I don't anyway...) but he can't afford to take up rucking minutes from Maric and Meesen. However the only way we are going to play both M&M is by playing Griffin up forward. Where does that leave Biglands? I know the club has been pleased by his work ethic in his recuperation, but he should be traded or delisted.

IF we keep Biglands he should never ruck again. Not that I don't rate his rucking abilities (well, I don't anyway...) but he can't afford to take up rucking minutes from Maric and Meesen. However the only way we are going to play both M&M is by playing Griffin up forward. Where does that leave Biglands? I know the club has been pleased by his work ethic in his recuperation, but he should be traded or delisted.

Biglands will be slotted into some role within the club I would've thought.

I don't really see much point in bringing back a bloke thats had a knee reco and is the wrong side of 30.

Biglands , iirc, has 1 more year of a contract.

I dont advocate having Biggy take the number 2 spot but to be our depth ruck back up and occassional forward player. Mainly playing SANFL he will be used only in an as required basis.

This allows the AFC to trade Meesen if he wants to go and maximise Meesens value.

Of course if Meesen re-signs then Biglands may be delisted

Biglands will be slotted into some role within the club I would've thought.

I don't really see much point in bringing back a bloke thats had a knee reco and is the wrong side of 30.

Especially considering the number of people that didn't rate him before the injury. I'd say if at least one of Griff, M or M haven't surpassed him at the beginning in 2008, there is something terribly wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you’re just talking trash. How many times have you seen Meesen play? What kind of position are you in to make these claims? Meesen is VERY good at ground level and has exceptional hands in heavy traffic. In fact it is one of his major strengths. He covers the ground very well and he looked more coordinated than ever last night.

And I can’t believe you're saying Kurt Tippett has "far greater mobility and agility" when he's played 5 odd games of SANFL football in his life. He’s a good prospect but let’s not go overboard. Meesen's mobility >> Maric's.

I agree with your comments that Meesen's mobility >> Maric's. But that's about it at the moment. Maric's ruckwork murders that of Meesen and he also marks better around the ground.

When it comes to mobility, both Griffin and Tippett murder both Maric and Meesen IMO.

Griffin has proven his mobility at AFL level and is the outstanding one in this respect, but I have also been impressed with Tippett's on the few occasions I have seen him play.

In fact, at the moment I can't think of any facet of the game that Meesen is better in than any of his younger or older rivals.

Tippett has incredible speed and mobility for a guy of 200cm plus.

I've heard that his performances at state screening rated #1 for agility, speed and maybe endurance in the whole country for big men.

He has done a 2.93 over 20m, althought that wasn't his state screening time.

Also, I don't know who else is going to make way on our list, I can't even pick 3 without including Biggie. Jericho & Hinge are the only other two I'd feel comfortable cutting (and I know there'd be plenty hating it). I'm presuming Campbell and Gill have 2 year contracts as new recruits? I can't see Roo throwing it in yet or any of our other veterans.

Roo will retire IMO.

Biglands, Jericho, Gill delisted. Campbell maybe.

Well this is the way I see things panning out in 2008:

Our main ruckman will once again be Ben Hudson. He’s not the greatest ruckman but his work at ground level and his hard ball gets are invaluable. He deserves to be the #1 ruckman, even if those behind him have far more natural talent.

Ivan Maric, assuming he re-signs, will be the backup ruckman as he was expected to be this year. His ruckwork was superb today and he has the potential to be an elite tap ruckman who can chip in with 10 odd possessions.

Griffin will be used predominantly as a forward, and I think we need him to play down there. If he used as a ruckman there’s very little chance of M&M developing into the players they are capable of becoming. Prior to this year he’s spent a lot of time up forward and whenever he’s been down there he’s looked dangerous. He can do the rucking in the forward 50.

Meesen will start 2008 as the 3rd ruckman but he could be the backup ruckman with a good preseason and NAB Cup. It’s all up to him though; if he finishes this season well and makes his AFL debut he will stay IMO. He just wants to be assured he is wanted and he will play.

Tippett looked a far better player as a ruckman this year but I would think he’ll be played up forward a lot more in 2008. As for Biglands, I honestly don’t see how he’s got a future at this club.

I agree with your comments that Meesen's mobility >> Maric's. But that's about it at the moment. Maric's ruckwork murders that of Meesen and he also marks better around the ground.

When it comes to mobility, both Griffin and Tippett murder both Maric and Meesen IMO.

Griffin has proven his mobility at AFL level and is the outstanding one in this respect, but I have also been impressed with Tippett's on the few occasions I have seen him play.

In fact, at the moment I can't think of any facet of the game that Meesen is better in than any of his younger or older rivals.
It's true, he struggles in the ruck. He's only just turned 21 so there is time but he has a long way to go in the ruck. As I've said before, for a ruckman taken with the 8th pick he does struggle more than expected. He averaged 13 hitouts per game last year, not bad, but compare that to Maric who averaged close to 20.

The main problem is his leap in that he just doesn’t get up high enough at centre bounces. And around the ground stoppages once he has been out bodied, which is relatively frequent occurrence, he’s no hope to win the contest. Yes it sounds like he’s a no hoper, but there are many things to like about his game. He has excellent mobility which seems to have improved during his time out. He has great skills and very good hands in traffic. He wins a lot of clearances off his own boot and he can rack up the possessions. Great athlete, but he needs to improve his ruckwork.

Well this is the way I see things panning out in 2008:

Our main ruckman will once again be Ben Hudson. He’s not the greatest ruckman but his work at ground level and his hard ball gets are invaluable. He deserves to be the #1 ruckman, even if those behind him have far more natural talent.

Ivan Maric, assuming he re-signs, will be the backup ruckman as he was expected to be this year. His ruckwork was superb today and he has the potential to be an elite tap ruckman who can chip in with 10 odd possessions.

Griffin will be used predominantly as a forward, and I think we need him to play down there. If he used as a ruckman there’s very little chance of M&M developing into the players they are capable of coming. Prior to this year he’s spent a lot of time up forward and whenever he’s been down there he’s looked dangerous. He can do the rucking in the forward 50.

Meesen will start 2008 as the 3rd ruckman but he could be the backup ruckman with a good preseason and NAB Cup. It’s all up to him though; if he finishes this season well and makes his AFL debut he will stay IMO. He just wants to be assured he is wanted and he will play.

Tippett looked a far better player as a ruckman this year but I would think he’ll be played up forward a lot more in 2008. As for Biglands, I honestly don’t see how he’s got a future at this club.

It's true, he struggles in the ruck. He's only just turned 21 so there is time but he has a long way to go in the ruck. As I've said before, for a ruckman taken with the 8th pick he does struggle more than expected. He averaged 13 hitouts per game last year, not bad, but compare that to Maric who averaged close to 20.

The main problem is his leap in that he just doesn’t get up high enough at centre bounces. And around the ground stoppages once he has been out bodied, which is relatively frequent occurrence, he’s no hope to win the contest. Yes it sounds like he’s a no hoper, but there are many things to like about his game. He has excellent mobility which seems to have improved during his time out. He has great skills and very good hands in traffic. He wins a lot of clearances off his own boot and he can rack up the possessions. Great athlete, but he needs to improve his ruckwork.

Spot on :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

McDermott's comments re Meesen in today's Sunday Mail are pretty close to the mark IMO.

He asks where has this young man's ability gone and believes that he should be traded for the benefit of all parties.

Unless there is a miraculous turnaround in the situation in the next 2 months I would support McDermott's suggestion to trade Meesen.

If he did asked to be traded (which I hope he doesn't) who would be in favour of packaging him up with our first pick (probably 10-11), and getting a significant upgrade in our first round selection to perhaps 3-5?

If he did asked to be traded (which I hope he doesn't) who would be in favour of packaging him up with our first pick (probably 10-11), and getting a significant upgrade in our first round selection to perhaps 3-5?

I'd certainly be happy with that.

Another alternative is to target an ex-patriate South Aussie player with talent and adjust with draft picks. Preferably a mid-fielder such as Monfries (that's ruling out the big Pavlova).

Either approach would be appropriate IMO.

Carlton and St Kilda might be interested. Unless Meese pulls one out big time he will most likely be gone. He's got a lot of talent no doubt, but with all our young ruckman vying for spots, he will hardly get much of an opportunity.

McDermott's comments re Meesen in today's Sunday Mail are pretty close to the mark IMO.

He asks where has this young man's ability gone and believes that he should be traded for the benefit of all parties.

Unless there is a miraculous turnaround in the situation in the next 2 months I would support McDermott's suggestion to trade Meesen.
Perhaps a straight swap with Danny Meyer.Danny has the skill but it seems he may be missing home to much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back