The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What to do With John Meesen

He played the sort of role that Perrie plays for us. Leading CHF further up the ground so he would create space for Passador. Stats are not be all and end all. He played some very good games. He got names in WWT best a number of times and when he was played deep, he kicked 10. His first year he was finding his feet. His 2nd year at WWT he was one of their key players because he allowed others to do their thing.

I will never understand the need of supporters to bag every player that leaves us. Sure I am dirty on him for stooging us and this is some sort of karma for him but he was a very good young player and he showed a fair bit of what he could do. Maybe not consistently but he did play some very good games. Stats are over-rated.

Correct - He played quite a few good game for the Eagles in the SANFL.

What an amazing thread.

548 posts on a young ruckman that has been disappointing as hell. :eek:

I just can't work out what happened to the player that I saw for the first time in Crows colours at Norwood Oval over 2 years ago and impressed me so much back then. Each time I've seen him he looks less likely to be an AFL ruckman with us than the time before.

Quite frankly, I don't think his heart is in it with us and that we won't see the best of him unless it's in another AFL team's colours.

I know you love him Drummond and want to marry him, but if he's true to form I think he'd let you down badly on the night of the honeymoon. ;)

I'd like to see the AFC switch him to another SANFL club that will play him at A grade level every week, get some form behind him, and trade him.

Griffin wants to be an AFL ruckman for the Crows. Meesen doesn't IMO.

Trade him.
How many of my Meesen threads have been merged into this gigantic masterpiece? :D

Ok here’s my honest assessment. No blindness, just cold, hard facts.

As a ruckman Meesen doesn't cut it, not yet anyway. Even the 10 minutes I saw of him on the weekend he would’ve only broke even in the ruck; this against reserves ruckman. So imagining him up against Dean Cox actually brings tears as he would be murdered. Maric averaged 19 hit-outs last year, Meesen averaged 13. In the Norwood v Crows game this year I walked into the ground with high hopes and I walked away bitterly disappointed. It was only a trial game but it was thoroughly disappointing nonetheless. Believe it or not he was beaten by McGregor in the ruck. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and convinced myself it was only a trial game and playing for a team that lost by 20 odd goals didn’t give an accurate reflection. So I went along to the NAB Cup game against the Power and even though he played a mere 10 minutes before getting injured he struggled big time in the ruck. And he only suffered the injury because of his lack of body strength.

So after all the hype about his improved strength, motivation and so forth I saw none of it. The injury came at the worse possible time but to be fair Griffin had already outperformed him in the pre-season matches they both played. He may have been given a chance if he didn't injure his knee but he wasn't ready IMO.

As for the rest of his game, there IS a lot to like. There's no doubt his movement is very good. I was at the game on the weekend with my Dad who saw him for the first time and when I pointed him out he said “he moves very well” which indeed he does. His mobility is his biggest asset. He has quick hands in traffic, and his desperation and work at the clearances is a strength. But as I’ve said many times before as a ruckman, which is what he was drafted as, he’s well below what you would expect for a #8 pick.

When I forget how much I like him I do doubt him at times, but there’s just too much ability for him not to be a good AFL player. He’s just taking a very long time, much longer than any of us thought.

Yeahhhh next to Sellar fk yeahhhh and Vince on a flank fk yeahhhhhh and Dougie Howser running in from the midfield fk yeahhh x 5 oh and dont forget the Gillmeister yeahhhh do it yeahhhh come on !!!!!

:eek:

Doogie Howser is a ****ing gun.

I honestly think we need to play Meesen, so at least if we trade him, we might get some value.

And our Forward line can't get much worse.

Why should we play Meesen? Pick him when he can actually get a league match and performs, the way he gets talked up.. he hasn't dominated the SANFL like some people on here seem to think. He is only playing reserves footy at the moment, if he plays As and plays well then pick him.

Re: What to do With John Meesen

Stats are over-rated.

Stats ARE over-rated - and whilst I'm glad he played that 10 goal game because it bumped up his trade value to a huge degree, having watched it, it was possibly the easiest 10 goal game ever. Almost every goal was from a chest mark, delievered beautifully to his lead. Yes you have to be in the right place, and beat the opposition defender for pace, and then kick straight, but firstly if I recall correctly, North's backline was decimated for that game, and he was getting absolutely perfect delivery from Inkster in particular. He had three opponents - a young Gilham, White and an injured Roe, who I believe had both a shoulder and hand injury. He played as an isolated full forward and all the play ended up with him. I seriously don't think you can read too much into that game. Any forward on our list, bar those who can't kick straight, would have kicked 10 that day. I would have kicked 10. He had very little to beat and his midfield made him look worlds better than he actually is.
I saw Watts play for WWT 4 times that year. 2 of those times he looked very very very ordinary and basically disinterested - once he was servicable, and the last was that final.
I never thought he was much to get excited about and I still don't.

Meesen

just wondering how he is performing at the moment in the SANFL? do you guys basically feel he is a definite to leave at the end of the season?

are we still on for meyer for meesen?;) he doesn't look interested here either

Re: Meesen

just wondering how he is performing at the moment in the SANFL? do you guys basically feel he is a definite to leave at the end of the season?

are we still on for meyer for meesen?;) he doesn't look interested here either
Im suprised you're not doing what the other Richmond fans are doing.

MEESON #1 in the PSD !!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

may i ask is meesen a dud, he is taking forever to debut:confused:?

Been the least impressive of our 3 young ruckmen thus far, but injury hasn't helped him. Was in line for a debut at the start of the season before screwing his knee up.
He's got plenty of talent, but there's a massive query over his hunger to succeed, at least at this club.
Been back from injury for a few weeks now, but hasn't yet played a game for the Norwood seniors (although most say his Norwood reserves form has warranted a seniors call up). If he breaks into the Norwood seniors and puts in a few good games, he'll probably get a couple of a games towards the end of the season, although Maric is now showing good form too and Griffin has been good for us thus far, so it's really hard to say whether he'll make his debut this year or not.
Unfortunate, as we all know he's got plenty of talent, but not many of us are confident he'll still be with Adelaide next year.
Wouldn't call him a dud, but doesn't seem interested in playing for Adelaide, at least compared to some of our other youngsters. Lacks the drive to succeed with us that Maric and Griffin have shown they have.

Take Meyer or we pick him up in the PSD....end of discussion! At least that's how I hope the discussion between Miller and his counterpart goes?

Been the least impressive of our 3 young ruckmen thus far, but injury hasn't helped him. Was in line for a debut at the start of the season before screwing his knee up.
He's got plenty of talent, but there's a massive query over his hunger to succeed, at least at this club.
Been back from injury for a few weeks now, but hasn't yet played a game for the Norwood seniors (although most say his Norwood reserves form has warranted a seniors call up). If he breaks into the Norwood seniors and puts in a few good games, he'll probably get a couple of a games towards the end of the season, although Maric is now showing good form too and Griffin has been good for us thus far, so it's really hard to say whether he'll make his debut this year or not.
Unfortunate, as we all know he's got plenty of talent, but not many of us are confident he'll still be with Adelaide next year.
Wouldn't call him a dud, but doesn't seem interested in playing for Adelaide, at least compared to some of our other youngsters. Lacks the drive to succeed with us that Maric and Griffin have shown they have.

Looks like the same situation with Meyer....So its Meyer for Meesen is it then? Done.:D

Take Meyer or we pick him up in the PSD....end of discussion! At least that's how I hope the discussion between Miller and his counterpart goes?

If he decides to leave what makes you think he'll go to Richmond?

All 10 clubs in Victoria will be interested in a young, talented ruckman. There will be a far better trade (if he wants out) than Danny Meyer.

If he wanted to go anywhere in paticular, it would be to the Cattery.

Once again, IF he wants out, we'll do a trade of far more value than Meyer and he certainly won't be in the PSD.

All you bleating idiots crying Meesen for PSD !!!1111one11 (Thanks DT ;)) are mistaken.

John Meesens end of season wishlist:

Play for the shittest team in the league with minimal future. Check.

Play for a team that has reached the finals once in the last 20 years. Check.

Won't consider options from clubs that he may win a premiership with sometime in his lifetime purely to **** the Crows over. Check.

No other clubs in Victoria would ever want a pick 8, 200cm fully developed 20 year old ruckman. Check.

Yep, Meesens off to Richmond for free.

Better count our losses and move on.

John Meesens end of season wishlist:

Play for the shittest team in the league with minimal future. Check.

Play for a team that has reached the finals once in the last 20 years. Check.

Won't consider options from clubs that he may win a premiership with sometime in his lifetime purely to **** the Crows over. Check.

No other clubs in Victoria would ever want a pick 8, 200cm fully developed 20 year old ruckman. Check.

Yep, Meesens off to Richmond for free.

Better count our losses and move on.
Wants to be close to family. Check.
Wants to be a walk up start in the seniors next year. Check.

Probably won't happen, but to say that it couldn't is Eagles supporter standard head in the sand.

PS. Meyer would probably be as good an offer as you'll get.

PS. Meyer would probably be as good an offer as you'll get.
Big men tend to have more value than midfield/forwards & usually take longer to develop. I reckon Meesen's value > Meyer's ... but obviously no longer worth a 1st round pick.

If he wanted out, I'd want to upgrade our first rounder. It's a weak draft really. Your 'stars' will all be gone after about #10.

What would be fair compensation for John Meesen? He's going to be a brilliant AFL ruckman, in many ways he is similar to Josh Fraser due to the fact that he doesn’t often get a ton of hitouts, but he’s extremely mobile and effective around the ground. He can always drift forward and kick the odd goal and he’s one of the smartest players I’ve seen.

He was draft pick 8, and with 2 years development I think we should be looking at a first round draft pick in return. With many Victorian clubs set to be interested, I think there’s a fair chance we’ll be duly compensated and be heading to the 2006 NAB Draft with 2 first rounders.

I don't understand how you can be so sure about Meesen. He doesn't even play well for Norwood and you see him as such a great player in years to come. I hope you're right but I think you are thinking with your heart rather than mind. It's the red and blue glasses you wear I think :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back