The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: We MUST re-sign Meesen!

Meesen is named on the extended bench with DeJognh & Minson for Norwood. Interesting to see who plays.

As long as there are not late withdrawalls I'd say Minson will miss along with Cockshell. Meesen to play. Fairly tough decision who they go for.

Re: We MUST re-sign Meesen!

Meesen is named on the extended bench with DeJognh & Minson for Norwood. Interesting to see who plays.

Norwood going tall in the wet :confused:

2 ruckman on the bench would drop out you would think. Hopefully Meesen remains.

It’s starting to become a bit of a joke now to be honest. 3rd year on the list, very promising young ruckman, and he’s currently stuck in the SANFL reserves. IMO his ruckwork isn’t AFL standard at the moment, but his mobility, engine, ball winning ability and skills make him a tantalising prospect. I believe he’s good enough to come into the side as a HFF or even play off the HBF.

He will play league football this week because you can’t not bring in a ruckman after you’ve been beaten in the clearances 36-12. I say give him 2 weeks in the seniors, and then give him a shot with the Crows to see what he’s capable of.

Time to finally unleash the Meese before it’s too late and he’s gone after 3 years without making his debut. Sure he might not be quite ready, and sure he probably doesn't desrve it, but it has to be done.

Re: What to do With John Meesen

Why play someone who clearly doesn't have a future at the Adelaide Football Club?

The only reason he would get a game at AFL level this year is if the Crows' finals hopes are dashed by about Round 19, and they want him to debut so they can trade him off easier.

But Neil Craig won't do that. And either of Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton or Collingwood would easily trade for him at the end of the year anyway. Just depends on what the Crows want for him.

He is a lost cause, Drummond.

Why play someone who clearly doesn't have a future at the Adelaide Football Club?

The only reason he would get a game at AFL level this year is if the Crows' finals hopes are dashed by about Round 19, and they want him to debut so they can trade him off easier.

But Neil Craig won't do that. And either of Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton or Collingwood would easily trade for him at the end of the year anyway. Just depends on what the Crows want for him.

He is a lost cause, Drummond.

Lost cause? How so?

Once again people really don't understand the development cycle of a ruckman.

I don’t understand – please explain.

Rucks like John Meesen take ages to develop. Probably because they're not really natural ruckman. He's got all the assets around the ground, but as Drummond has said many a time, his ruckwork is still a work in progress.

Look at Hamish McIntosh, sure he's played a few games here and there, but he has had two, yes two, extra years of development than John Meesen. This year he has finally come into his own. In fact Hamish when drafted was touted as a possible key forward IIRC. Well thats what I remember from Wisbeys writeup anyway. He moved well but his ruckwork was a bit dodgy when he was drafted.

CW on McIntosh

Up Against It - MCINTOSH, Hamish (9) [Kang] Flawed but improved pack-marking giant. Forward more than ruck. Query at AFL tempo.

Lost cause? How so?

Once again people really don't understand the development cycle of a ruckman.

I understand perfectly the development of young ruckmen. Meesen has shown very, very, very little. I'm not just bagging him for the sake of it, I really liked the prospect of him a few years back, but he has shown absolutely no signs of being a quality ruckman and I believe he wants to go home anyway. All signs point to him not being a part of the future of the AFC, and that is why there is no reason to play him.

I understand perfectly the development of young ruckmen. Meesen has shown very, very, very little. I'm not just bagging him for the sake of it, I really liked the prospect of him a few years back, but he has shown absolutely no signs of being a quality ruckman and I believe he wants to go home anyway. All signs point to him not being a part of the future of the AFC, and that is why there is no reason to play him.

He's shown steady improvement. He was easily Norwoods best ruck last year according to Drummond, who has probably seen Meesen play most weeks since he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's shown steady improvement. He was easily Norwoods best ruck last year according to Drummond, who has probably seen Meesen play most weeks since he was drafted.

I know another Norwood fan who sees Meesen a lot aswell. Finds it hard to bag any Norwood player. He reckons Meesen is ridiculously overrated.

It’s starting to become a bit of a joke now to be honest. 3rd year on the list, very promising young ruckman, and he’s currently stuck in the SANFL reserves. IMO his ruckwork isn’t AFL standard at the moment, but his mobility, engine, ball winning ability and skills make him a tantalising prospect. I believe he’s good enough to come into the side as a HFF or even play off the HBF.

Such ridiculous statements give you zero credibility.

Stop making threads about Meesen ffs.

Meanwhile, he should be moved from Norwood if they wont play him.

Anyone heard anything surrounding this topic? Any rumbling or rumour, if he doesn’t play this week in the seniors for Norwood he may as well as give up and start looking for a house in Melbourne.

BTW: Norwood Vs North Adelaide is the ABC match of the round.

If he doesnt play league this week then I would suggest moving him to another club, but surely it wont happen. I have a few friends who happen to be Norwood fans and they also think hes very overrated but I dont tend to agree. Hes talented enough but I fear he will be lost from Adelaide without playing a game, especially is Maric comes in this week and does do a good job. With this whole "Fev Trade" thing going around it might not be a bad idea for both clubs that Messe be involved in the trade. We will soon see...... Not a bad Messe thread number 3295.

I wish he was a local lad so we could sit on him a bit longer. But reality suggests if he isnt getting game time then either he isnt good enough or the word has gone out.

I think he was unlucky in getting the injury at the start of the year as I felt this was his year to step up. With 2 years developing and Clarke,Biglands and Hudson ( 2005) ahead of him he needed to show something special to even crack a mention and all reports failed to show this.

Is he a ruckman? Or can he be kept as a key forward? Or is it all too late?

I know another Norwood fan who sees Meesen a lot aswell. Finds it hard to bag any Norwood player. He reckons Meesen is ridiculously overrated.

My mate who I go to the footy with is a diehard Norwood supporter, I asked him about Meesen and said a guy on bigfooty said that Meesen is doing well and will be a good AFL player and he laughed at me and said that guy obviously must go and watch a different Norwood and John Meesen play. He also laughed when I said we (Adelaide) might be able to trade him for a second round pick. He recons if he got cut from Adelaide he recons that he might struggle to get a life line from one of the Melbourne clubs on the performances that he has shown.

He is going to struggle anyway because we have Maric who is next in line and so he is a 3rd string ruckman and with Tippett it could be possible that he might even end up 4th.

My mate who I go to the footy with is a diehard Norwood supporter, I asked him about Meesen and said a guy on bigfooty said that Meesen is doing well and will be a good AFL player and he laughed at me and said that guy obviously must go and watch a different Norwood and John Meesen play. He also laughed when I said we (Adelaide) might be able to trade him for a second round pick. He recons if he got cut from Adelaide he recons that he might struggle to get a life line from one of the Melbourne clubs on the performances that he has shown.

He is going to struggle anyway because we have Maric who is next in line and so he is a 3rd string ruckman and with Tippett it could be possible that he might even end up 4th.

He would have no trouble getting a lifeline with another Melbourne club. We would definately be able to get a trade for him, maybe not as good a trade as we like but there would be many clubs interested in him. He hasn't lived up to his reputation and has been IMO a huge disappointment. Having said that in terms of ruckman he is still young and most ruckman take a fair while to develop, thats why I can't understand why we spent a top 10 draft pick on him.

I would like us to keep him personally, but if we can't put him in a package deal that will get us some kind of key forward.

At AFL level obviously because he hasn't played a game. But you're not talking about SANFL are you? As a 19/20 year-old last year he averaged 13 possessions, 13 hit-outs and 5 marks per game as Norwood's #1 ruckman.

For what it's worth there's a lot of the Hamish McIntosh history that should be heeded when discussing Messen

McIntosh .....who had heard of him prior to this season .....in fact he was recruited in the 2002 draft at #9 (any similarities so far) ...... and b4 this season had played just one game in 4 seasons ......and in many peoples opinions was just "wandering"

Suddenly the light switches on at 22 years of age and in one season has just grabbed everyones attention.

So what is wrong with Meesen:

well Firstly.... IMO his ego was enlarged with being touted as a great ruckman and first round pick .....damn the media !!!

Secondly ... as a consequence his workrate was sub-standard .....did he expect to play quickly? ....I'd suggest something like that.

Thirdly ..... Meesen has a great motor and covers the game well .....however he is light in the trunk and that means he's easily pushed off the ball in man on man contests. That strength will come with body maturity ....but also a better workrate application that he's currently got.

Is he worth perservering with .....absolutely ....the question is how badly does he want it.

Interesting sideline that Fergus Watts is being touted for possible delisting this year ......teach him to leave us ;)

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back