The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What to do With John Meesen

Watts - I was a big fan. The kid had talent, lots of it. But his sooky return to VIC, demanding only to be traded to Saint Kilda put me off him for life. It was pathetic, I hope he rots in the VFL.

Watts - I was a big fan. The kid had talent, lots of it. But his sooky return to VIC, demanding only to be traded to Saint Kilda put me off him for life. It was pathetic, I hope he rots in the VFL.

Certainly had a tonnes of talent. If he didn't move he might be in our team parked at CHF.

If he had so much talent then why wasn't it on display for the Eagles? He only ever had one decent game. The same goes for Jericho, some of you clowns rave about how super talented he is yet we never see it.

Talent and application are 2 different things.

IIRC he had a few good games for the Eagles.

He was also a star in the U/18 carnival. We wanted a tall forward, at that stage he was the best available.

He was known for contested marking, and carved up the U/18 champs. Won All-Australian U/18 honours for Vic. Metro. Was a lock in first round selection and was expected by some to go top 10.

He had talent. Just didn't apply it over here too often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In answer to te question, AFC should move Meesen ASAP to an SANFL club in need of a ruckman.
Umm Norwood DO need a ruckman actually. We were beaten in the clearances last week against Sturt and slaughtered on Saturday against the Dogs. In actual fact the clearances were 36-12. We’ve been beaten 33-49 in the hit-outs over the past fortnight. It’s just that our coach isn’t smart enough to realise we need a capable ruckman, not a combination of an average one a makeshift one.

Meesen will play league football this week and he will cement his spot in no time.

Maybe I am the only one but I still believe had Watts stayed here he would have been a much better player than what he is now. He played some very good games for WWT and had one GREAT game in the finals against North Adelaide.

The biggest mistake Watts ever made was to leave Adelaide for St. Kilda out of all teams. Had he stayed with our club I think he would already be getting a game for us and showing us the ability that had him drafted. He was great overhead, his main weakness was his work when the ball hit the ground.

Umm Norwood DO need a ruckman actually. We were beaten in the clearances last week against Sturt and slaughtered on Saturday against the Dogs. In actual fact the clearances were 36-12. We’ve been beaten 33-49 in the hit-outs over the past fortnight. It’s just that our coach isn’t smart enough to realise we need a capable ruckman, not a combination of an average one a makeshift one.

Meesen will play league football this week and he will cement his spot in no time.
You have been saying he will play league for a while now.

The bottom line is if Norwood continue to play him in the reserves, AFC would be best to move him to a club that will give him league games.

Maybe I am the only one but I still believe had Watts stayed here he would have been a much better player than what he is now. He played some very good games for WWT and had one GREAT game in the finals against North Adelaide.

The biggest mistake Watts ever made was to leave Adelaide for St. Kilda out of all teams. Had he stayed with our club I think he would already be getting a game for us and showing us the ability that had him drafted. He was great overhead, his main weakness was his work when the ball hit the ground.

I was devastated when he left to be honest. He was the answer.

What an amazing thread.

548 posts on a young ruckman that has been disappointing as hell. :eek:

I just can't work out what happened to the player that I saw for the first time in Crows colours at Norwood Oval over 2 years ago and impressed me so much back then. Each time I've seen him he looks less likely to be an AFL ruckman with us than the time before.

Quite frankly, I don't think his heart is in it with us and that we won't see the best of him unless it's in another AFL team's colours.

I know you love him Drummond and want to marry him, but if he's true to form I think he'd let you down badly on the night of the honeymoon. ;)

I'd like to see the AFC switch him to another SANFL club that will play him at A grade level every week, get some form behind him, and trade him.

Griffin wants to be an AFL ruckman for the Crows. Meesen doesn't IMO.

Trade him.

Watts was very disappointing. I don’t think he ever kicked more than 3 goals in a game apart from that final. His stats for pretty much every game were 12-14 possessions, 6 marks, 2 goals. Decent but never took control of a game. I had huge hopes for him too.

I agree with that Stiffy and breaking his leg last year whist playing for the Casey Scorpions wouldn’t have help him find any extra pace he was looking for.

If he stayed in Adelaide he would have been given that CHF spot and Trent Hentschel moved to CHB rather than trying Scott Stevens.

Watts was very disappointing. I don’t think he ever kicked more than 3 goals in a game apart from that final. His stats for pretty much every game were 12-14 possessions, 6 marks, 2 goals. Decent but never took control of a game. I had huge hopes for him too.
He played the sort of role that Perrie plays for us. Leading CHF further up the ground so he would create space for Passador. Stats are not be all and end all. He played some very good games. He got names in WWT best a number of times and when he was played deep, he kicked 10. His first year he was finding his feet. His 2nd year at WWT he was one of their key players because he allowed others to do their thing.

I will never understand the need of supporters to bag every player that leaves us. Sure I am dirty on him for stooging us and this is some sort of karma for him but he was a very good young player and he showed a fair bit of what he could do. Maybe not consistently but he did play some very good games. Stats are over-rated.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official John Meesen Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back