The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate very much so as a tall defender, he was average up forward IMO.

Really liking the number of talls who have flourished down back: Jordan Roughead, Tom Lonergan (was a forward prospect before his comeback if I remember correctly) and Sauce Merrett just to name a few.
Sauce Merrett was always a defender though? He only played FF last year cos Brown couldn't

Mitch Clark. GUN. Very scrutinised because of his contract but he would have been right up there in the Coleman last year if he didn't get injured.

Matthew Stokes - Geelong fans have never rated him and always think he should be dropped for another more promising small forward, yet he consistently performs his role and kicks much needed goals.

nobody rates him, because he's overshadowed by the rest off the team, who are much better

hooker is a hack. everytime i see him play, he's either kicking it to the opposition or being monstered in the goal square by a power forward. Complete spud
Then explain how he kept the Coleman medalist to 1 goal last year off a mark that wasn't there? Explain how he dominated Drew Petrie round 1 to be a big reason why Essendon won the game? How he conceded a total of 12 goals in his first 10 games of 2012, coincidentally when he had protection from the midfield. He also conceded less than 2 goals/game for 2012 (36 goals from 19 games). I agree on the kicking point though.

Nick Lower (serious),
No one seems to realise he didn't play last year because of a serious concussion sustained at Peel Thunder while returning from an earlier injury, not because 'Ross Lyon didn't like him' or he was out of form. Frustrates me because he is a good player.

For the pies Cloke. Kicking is off at times but the guy is one of the best contested marks in the league. Never understood the knocks against him. For me personally didn't rate Toovey but converted.

Opposition admit I've converted on Taylor Walker.

No one seems to realise he didn't play last year because of a serious concussion sustained at Peel Thunder while returning from an earlier injury, not because 'Ross Lyon didn't like him' or he was out of form. Frustrates me because he is a good player.

Every time I have ever seen him play he has had 20+ disposals as a mid and kicked multiple goals.

Even as recently as the RFC v WBD practice much at Visy a few weeks back he did something many players could not - tag Cotchin pretty much out of the game.

Did it again vs Rich on the weekend.

Very surprised he is onto club 3. A very solid contributor IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One out of one of his games this year have been very good

It's a hard job being a FB in a undersized backline. I think he does an ok job and on occasion a great job. At 25 he will shine imo.

I never said otherwise, just indicated that he's old enough and experienced enough now for people to stop using the "he's only a kid" excuse. Obviously he's still a year or two away from being in his absolute prime as a player, but he's got enough miles under the belt so far that if he underperforms now, it's just a case of not being good enough.

It was Danyle Pearce (even many of our own supporters were guilty of it). Now maybe Westhoff? He's certainly no superstar but he's not the spud most people outside of Port think he is.

Also, most opposition supporters probably don't know who Tom Jonas is, but they should. The kid is a young Dale Morris. 14 games into his career and he's already beaten the likes of Hodge, Griffen, SJ, Martin, Rockliff, LeCras (admittedly only in a pre-season game) and Goodes (same as LeCras). Hasn't conceded multiple goals or more than 20 disposals in a game yet.
How Could you forget jay Schulz

It was Danyle Pearce (even many of our own supporters were guilty of it). Now maybe Westhoff? He's certainly no superstar but he's not the spud most people outside of Port think he is.

Also, most opposition supporters probably don't know who Tom Jonas is, but they should. The kid is a young Dale Morris. 14 games into his career and he's already beaten the likes of Hodge, Griffen, SJ, Martin, Rockliff, LeCras (admittedly only in a pre-season game) and Goodes (same as LeCras). Hasn't conceded multiple goals or more than 20 disposals in a game yet.
The frustration with westhoff is he plays one game where he is BOG, then goes on holidays for a month.

You'll hate the comparison, but he reminds me of when Matthew Robran played for the crows. Would win a game off his own boot with 5 goals playing CHF, then get 5 touches each game for a month.

I think we need to draw a distinction between different categories here. I can think of at least three:
1. Players who fly under the radar - unknown to, and unappreciated by, non-supporters of their team.
2. Players who polarise opinion: are considered spuds by some and good or even great players by others.
3. Players who are believed to be spuds by embittered supporters of the team they were traded from.
David Mackay falls squarely into category 1 for Adelaide. Would be one of the first picked each week by a lot of Crows fans, but never hear his name mentioned by fans of other clubs.

The frustration with westhoff is he plays one game where he is BOG, then goes on holidays for a month.

You'll hate the comparison, but he reminds me of when Matthew Robran played for the crows. Would win a game off his own boot with 5 goals playing CHF, then get 5 touches each game for a month.

Very good comparison IMO.

Matthew Robran was such a massive tease.

Brent Guerra has been an excellent, steady player down back for Hawthorn since 2006, but rarely been given any credit.
  • Port fans don't rate him because he cost them a 1st round draft pick, but he didn't do much in his 4 years there. He never really settled in or knuckled down and was traded.
  • Saints fans like Finey have always bagged Guerra because he was inconsistent at St Kilda as a small forward and left their club after 2 seasons. Slight bitterness from them, I think.
  • Geelong fans have hated Guerra ever since he knocked out Cameron Ling in the 2004 NAB Cup final. They have long memories for dirty play from opponents but have double standards regarding their own players.
  • Hawthorn fans have always crucified Guerra for the occasional glaring error that costs us a goal. He was often the guy at the back of our defensive zone and any mistake from him led to 6 points.
  • Everyone else seems to overlook Guerra because they're too busy praising (or bagging) Franklin, Rioli, Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, etc.
At 32, Guerra is getting a bit long in the tooth. He is also coming off badly torn hamstring from last September. I'm hopeful he still has something to give because he has been an underrated important player for us. We definitely could've done with him on Grand Final day.

Remove this Banner Ad

The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back