The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to draw a distinction between different categories here. I can think of at least three:
1. Players who fly under the radar - unknown to, and unappreciated by, non-supporters of their team.
2. Players who polarise opinion: are considered spuds by some and good or even great players by others.
3. Players who are believed to be spuds by embittered supporters of the team they were traded from.

Ben Howlett.

Mature age player with a high number, who no-one outside of Essendon rates.

If he keeps playing like he can, like last week, that will have to change one day

Followed him for a while now, just a terrific story how he got to the AFL and has grown in the system. People thought he was limited when he was at Peel, but he worked harder than the rest and got his opportunity at Essendon. Broke into the Essendon side just about straight away, and hasn't really looked back, improving every year starting from a tagger and developing into a genuine ballwinner and playmaker. He just keeps getting better, theres no knowing how good he could end up being.

*Agree with the post saying he doesn't belong in the thread though, don't think I've ever seen an opposition supporter or media rubbish him like they do with other players in the thread. He does fly under the radar though.

Why's that? You're not being very logical.

Gary Ablett Jr
Scott Pendlebury
Jobe Watson
Dane Swan
Trent Cotchin
Marc Murphy
Sam Mitchell
Joel Selwood
Scott Thomspon
Patrick Dangerfield

There's 10 players off the top of my head that are cleary ahead of Boyd as midfielder.

Using purely stats to try and say how good someone is or even more stupidly, how much someone has improved is an idiotic argument if ever there was one.

Ben Howlett.

Mature age player with a high number, who no-one outside of Essendon rates.
I rate him, have for 2-3 years.

Agree on the Conca calls for Richmond too. I have zero problems with us taking him ahead of Heppell and I wouldn't swap them now. Reece is fierce at the contest and has excellent vision and smarts. Disposal needs tidying up at times but I think that will come with increased fitness and body strength. Hasn't had a full pre-season yet.

And Jake King is a bloody ripper! :hearts:

Lindsay Thomas.
Yes, he dives occasionally.
But when people say that he's not a good footballer, well that's just an inane comment.
The boy can play and bloody well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett Jr
Scott Pendlebury
Jobe Watson
Dane Swan
Trent Cotchin
Marc Murphy
Sam Mitchell
Joel Selwood
Scott Thomspon
Patrick Dangerfield

There's 10 players off the top of my head that are cleary ahead of Boyd as midfielder.

Using purely stats to try and say how good someone is or even more stupidly, how much someone has improved is an idiotic argument if ever there was one.
The Brownlow wouldn't agree.

The Brownlow wouldn't agree.

Ohh boy, surely you didn't just make this argument? :rolleyes:

For a laugh, based on the latest Brownlow, here are players judged to be better midfielders than Boyd.

Patrick Dangerfield
Scott Thompson
Rory Sloane
Chris Judd
Marc Murphy
Dane Swan
Dayne Beams
Scott Pendlebury
Jobe Watson
Brent Stanton
Nathan Fyfe
David Mundy
Joel Selwood
James Kelly
Gary Ablett
Sam Mitchell
Brad Sewell
Nathan Jones
Trent Cotchin
Brett Deledio
Shaun Grigg
Lenny Hayes
Josh Kennedy
Kieren Jack
Daniel Hannebery
Ryan O'Keefe
Scott Selwood
Luke Shuey
Ryan Griffen

Now stop embarrassing yourself and learn to base your judgements on watching footy as opposed to looking at stats.

Tom Liberatore. One of the best young mids in the league yet gets no media attention or fanfare (unless he is passed out on the streets).

I rate him as a footballer. His ability to handle his googs is a different story however, certainly don't rate him in that department!

Every swans player by the melb media. Yeah one or two get talked up, but every year the same old. Even when we win the flag.

Exhibit A: Watch brownless, crawford and brown on TFS on Sunday. Laughing and being smug is the respect they showed the swans. Expect it on the thurs edition but not the serious version.

Plus countless herald Sun journos.

Jarryn Geary

Doesn't get much credit outside of St Kilda but the kid is a star and tough as nails. He was our best player against the Gold Coast.

no wonder you lost if he was your best. plugger you are a ********er and your dropping down the ladder faster then youon your knees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back