The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ohh boy, surely you didn't just make this argument? :rolleyes:

For a laugh, based on the latest Brownlow, here are players judged to be better midfielders than Boyd.

Patrick Dangerfield
Scott Thompson
Rory Sloane
Chris Judd
Marc Murphy
Dane Swan
Dayne Beams
Scott Pendlebury
Jobe Watson
Brent Stanton
Nathan Fyfe
David Mundy
Joel Selwood
James Kelly
Gary Ablett
Sam Mitchell
Brad Sewell
Nathan Jones
Trent Cotchin
Brett Deledio
Shaun Grigg
Lenny Hayes
Josh Kennedy
Kieren Jack
Daniel Hannebery
Ryan O'Keefe
Scott Selwood
Luke Shuey
Ryan Griffen

Now stop embarrassing yourself and learn to base your judgements on watching footy as opposed to looking at stats.
I watch plenty of football. Heppell hasn't improved since his first year.

Geary has a career average of 16 possessions and 4 marks up until yesterday when he got 28 possessions and 7 marks against one of the comps weaker sides. I'll wait a few more weeks before calling him under-rated. At almost 25 he was due to start performing sooner or later.

He quite often plays a shut down defender role so you can't just judge him purely on stats.

He quite often plays a shut down defender role so you can't just judge him purely on stats.

Regardless at age 25 he should have moved on now from the back pocket. I'll reserve judgement rather than base my assessment on one game against the Gold Coast. Saints dont have a lot to get excited about so I understand where youre coming from.

Not sure about "not rating" but Nathan Brown seems to have gone under the radar for the past two years since he demolished Riewoldt in 2010 and then demolished his knee not long after.

it's apparent he was a touch over the radar

Regardless at age 25 he should have moved on now from the back pocket. I'll reserve judgement rather than base my assessment on one game against the Gold Coast. Saints dont have a lot to get excited about so I understand where youre coming from.

He's played more than just one good game.

Andrew Swallow still seems to draw a lot of "he's a good ordinary player" sort of comments, for a guy who has won three best and fairests.

Which is patently ridiculous. The guy is a gun.

He has a rather mechanical looking kicking action which many people use as a basis to criticize his disposal even though he's actually a very effective kick, I agree with you he is an out and out gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your haircut affects your play, does it? Get real. Never once saw him take a backward step, even when he was a 70kg rookie.

Why would a young person who has a full head of hair go and cut it all off, anyway?

No - but I think that is why some people made pre-judgements on him. It's about perception - it wasn't that he had a full head of hair - it was the colouring etc - do you think people would have been so quick to refer to Dustin Martin as such a tough guy of footy if he started out with flowing highlighted blond locks?

I'm not agreeing, I always liked him as a player but I do think others had the perception of him as being soft purely due to his appearance. More fool them

No - but I think that is why some people made pre-judgements on him. It's about perception - it wasn't that he had a full head of hair - it was the colouring etc - do you think people would have been so quick to refer to Dustin Martin as such a tough guy of footy if he started out with flowing highlighted blond locks?

I'm not agreeing, I always liked him as a player but I do think others had the perception of him as being soft purely due to his appearance. More fool them

Whether he's hard or soft in a football context should be judged purely on how he plays. Judging it on anything other than that is pure idiocy.

Whether he's hard or soft in a football context should be judged purely on how he plays. Judging it on anything other than that is pure idiocy.

Yes but a lot of people doing the judging probably didn't watch him play - as I said it was just their perception.

People make judgements on other people without knowing anything about them everyday in all walks of life - rightly or wrongly.

I'd be quite happy if he played in my team & people under estimated him - especially if it were the opposition!!

How does one be ridiculous patently? Sounds like inventive use of the word. Blatantly?

No, patently. It's another way of saying (in that context), 'openly', 'clearly', 'plainly' or even 'obviously'.

'Blatantly' probably works too. :p

Schoenmakers . Everybody notices the mistakes but he's a 22 yr old key defender playing on monsters above his weight each week. He has the talent and with Lake able to take the big forward each week (as he should) Schoey will start to show his talent. Not to mention the fact that he spent his entire junior career as a forward, he's done quite well so far.

He had a fantastic grand final but I guess nobody notices him when he plays well, as is almost always the case with key defenders.

Hate the way BF jumps on kids and bags them, he's a kid playing KP and we bitch at him like it's an easy job.

From Essendon it's probably Hooker. Started like a house on fire last year- I think he conceded about a dozen goals in the first 8 rounds (including Cloke, Petrie, J Riewoldt, J Brown and Darling). Just don't let him kick it

hooker is a hack. everytime i see him play, he's either kicking it to the opposition or being monstered in the goal square by a power forward. Complete spud

Remove this Banner Ad

The one they don't rate (and they're wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back