The Perth Glory FC Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1058881/Glory-on-the-Brink-of-next-signing

This part interested me:

Glory has been seeking to forge links in Asia and South America to fascilitate future transfers from those continents and remains committed to bringing a marquee club to Australia for an exclusive showpiece game in 2012 after its looming clash with Celtic at nib Stadium on July 12.

“We are looking at bringing the very best here from across the world to games that will excite our fans,” Kelly said.

I know the Glory's PR guy has been over in Argentina recently. I wonder if this will net us the next Flores in the coming years?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1058881/Glory-on-the-Brink-of-next-signing

This part interested me:

I know the Glory's PR guy has been over in Argentina recently. I wonder if this will net us the next Flores in the coming years?

I'd take the next Edgar Junior at the moment.

So with this PR guy in that means the ego himself Steve Nelkovski is gone after only a year or is he still there as the media manager and they can afford to have both.

I can only vaguely remember the Dutch guy but I'm ignorant to a lot of Gold Coast players, bit young for the squad at 28. Hopefully he'll do well.

So with this PR guy in that means the ego himself Steve Nelkovski is gone after only a year or is he still there as the media manager and they can afford to have both.

No, it was Steve. I think he is the only one doing media, PR crap, running the Facebook and other stuff.

They have hardly anyone in the office since the sacked nearly everyone after the season finished.

And van der Brink is quality. Would be a great signing. Can play out from defense ala Sir Andy Todd, and even played as a holding midfielder at times for the Gold Coast with success.

Why Gold Coast delayed on signing him I have no idea. Another smart move from Clive and his crew.:p:eek:

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=39910

Robbie Fowler won't be returning.

No big loss as I think we can find a younger player with similar skill for half the price. Was good to see Fowler up close though for a season. Was clearly a level above skill wise.

Hopefully the replacement is a creative midfielder ala a new Flores or maybe Ergic?:thumbsu:

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=39910

Robbie Fowler won't be returning.

No big loss as I think we can find a younger player with similar skill for half the price. Was good to see Fowler up close though for a season. Was clearly a level above skill wise.

Hopefully the replacement is a creative midfielder ala a new Flores or maybe Ergic?:thumbsu:

Was gutted for a little bit when I heard that news but what fans he would have bought to the games have come and he was slow and expensive. I wonder which Glory player my mate will yell abuse at at the Leederville on Grand Final Day this year now Robbie's gone.

Ergic still has his family here but he turned his back on Australia and is still best mates with Ljubo who isn't exactly fond of Australia in this day and age. I'd prefer someone much younger.

Good signing.

Fergie has been hinting he will play 4-2-3-1 this season. I couldn't see us doing that if Fowler stayed as Tony would have expected both Smeltz & Fowler start, but now it looks much more likely.

Possible team:

Vukovic
Neville-Coyne-van der Brink-Heffernan
Burns-Hughes
Dodd-Miller-Sikora
Smeltz

Sterjovski will actually have to earn his spot this season which might make him pull his finger out.

Remaining players:

GK: Young
CB: Mitchell
RB: Risdon
LB/LW: Berger
LW: Howarth
CM: McGarry
RW: Sterjovski, Amphlett
CAM/ST: Makarounas
ST: Jelic, Taggart

We have one spot left (Assuming we sign van der Brink) which IMO needs to be a right sided CB who could also cover at RB if Neville goes down.

Well I have to admit that the Glory is looking like a title challenging team next season. Sign V D Brink and you pretty much have a complete squad. Still struggling to figure out how you have fit all of these stars under the salary cap!!!

Only Fergie can ruin it for you guys, if you had a top notch manager I'd have to say that Glory would walk the title next season with their current squad.

You might be forgetting a certain Brisbane team which should still be title favourites, even with the players they have lost.

My expectations are to play finals, hopefully a home final. Fergie in charge doesn't fill me with great hope for making finals though.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/so...in-next-48-hours/story-e6frg26u-1226071085588

Meanwhile, after five West Australians – including Glory youngster Jesse Makarounas – were picked in the Joeys squad for the under-17 World Cup in Mexico, Sage revealed the club was in the final stages of setting up a youth academy to stop the flow of raw young players heading overseas too soon.

An announcement on the academy is expected in the next 2-3 months.

“We want to keep the homegrown talent,” Sage said. “There’s about four or five West Australians attempting to play in Europe at the moment that we would loved to have kept here, and with a pretty well-funded academy I think we can in the future.

“We’ve been working on that feverishly with a couple of major sponsors. Obviously it costs a lot of money because we need professional coaches but that’s what we want to be able to do so they do see Western Australia as a career path and mainly through Perth Glory rather than at 14 or 15 trying to trial out with Liverpool or Manchester United etc.”
This would be a wonderful step forward for the Glory, and football in WA in general. Very much looking forward to this being set-up and to see in the years ahead how many players view the Glory as a place to develop instead of going overseas like they all are currently.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless of course this is all just moon beams from Sage to try and get people to renew memberships. I might be cynical but a club with a skeleton admin staff in some parttime offices on the bones of their arse are opening up a youth academy?

I would assume they would be hiring people specifically to manage the academy.

And I think you are a little cynical with this being a membership strategy.:p

For the record I haven't renewed my membership and I doubt I will until they release ticket prices. Currently if ticket prices stay the same I will just buy at the gate each game as it will be cheaper, but I have a feeling they will raise prices as they have royally screwed their membership structure this year as they clearly didn't account for the reduced season.

I would assume they would be hiring people specifically to manage the academy.

And I think you are a little cynical with this being a membership strategy.:p

For the record I haven't renewed my membership and I doubt I will until they release ticket prices. Currently if ticket prices stay the same I will just buy at the gate each game as it will be cheaper, but I have a feeling they will raise prices as they have royally screwed their membership structure this year as they clearly didn't account for the reduced season.

LIke I said at the top of the page on the official website they have the forms fro the 2011/12 season unless of course they've not changed the prices and just changed the year at the top of the form. $300 for gold, $250 for silver (GA) and $200 for some stupid bronze membership.

I'm talking about prices at the gate, not memberships.

Currently I could buy a ticket at the gate each week and it would be cheaper than getting a membership.

They only way there is value for me getting a membership was if they raised ticket prices at the gate...and that would be a PR nightmare considering how shit they were last season, and no Fowler to keep the bandwagoners coming.

They should have lowered the membership prices in line with the reduction of home games.

I'm talking about prices at the gate, not memberships.

Currently I could buy a ticket at the gate each week and it would be cheaper than getting a membership.

They only way there is value for me getting a membership was if they raised ticket prices at the gate...and that would be a PR nightmare considering how shit they were last season, and no Fowler to keep the bandwagoners coming.

They should have lowered the membership prices in line with the reduction of home games.
Ah, they're not that stupid surely. The tickets are already expensive for the league.

http://www.thefootballsack.com/2011/06/perth-glory-fan-forum-report.html

Good article reviewing the fans forum this morning. I didn't go as frankly, 9am on a Saturday morning is ridiculous, but sounds like a fair few topics were covered.

Can't believe the reaction for the cheerleaders. How could those fans possible want the same 10 & 11 year old girls doing cartwheels in front of The Shed when we could have real cheerleaders like the good ol' days?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Perth Glory FC Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back