Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

craigos Thanks mate, that was the plan as we both love the beach.

Now is the tricky part of building a social group as I've lived here before but I was previously in Byford when I lived here 3.5 years ago and my small social group all now have 2 weeks-3 year old children now. It's all on her and making uni friends, haha.

If you're FIFO earning good money and your partner is at the uni it would make sense to be close to the uni. If you haven't lived in Perth before RU_ (sorry unsure if you have or it's just your parents) get a place as close to the beach as you can, especially if you only plan to be there for a short period of time.

There's only several suburbs that actually have anything worth hanging around the local area for (restaurants, bars, cafes etc) so if it's not one of them you may as well be close to the beach imo.

Vic Park, Carlisle, Lathlain etc are all very close to 'restaurants, bars and cafes' - arguably the best strip in Perth = Vic Park.

All are close to the airport. All are within easy access to UWA, Curtin etc - actually very close in terms of commute.

The only thing they don't have is close proximity to the beach which you will pay for, and handsomely, whether renting or buying.

You will have easy access to pretty much any part of Perth and surrounds due to being essentially in the 'centre' in terms of freeways and main arteries.

You'll also have access to the Swan River and myriad other entertainment options.

Vic Park, Carlisle, Lathlain etc are all very close to 'restaurants, bars and cafes' - arguably the best strip in Perth = Vic Park.

All are close to the airport. All are within easy access to UWA, Curtin etc - actually very close in terms of commute.

The only thing they don't have is close proximity to the beach which you will pay for, and handsomely, whether renting or buying.

You will have easy access to pretty much any part of Perth and surrounds due to being essentially in the 'centre' in terms of freeways and main arteries.

You'll also have access to the Swan River and myriad other entertainment options.

You still have to change buses or trains to get to UWA, and the change will be done in the city. RU's girlfriend goes to UWA, not Curtin.

It doesn't really fit into RU's preferences.

In terms of nice suburbs basically anything west of the freeway is golden within 15km of Nedlands.

I have always been in the Vic Park/Bentley area for uni first moving to Perth (07-16) and been back in Belmont (no really) since and found everything nice in both areas for the most part in terms of shops/bars etc (Vic Park strip is brilliant). I did grow up in a country area and have zero affinity for the beach, so I genuinely would have no idea how much of an annoyance being 20-30 mins from the beach instead of 5mins truly is.

Girlfriend is in Woodvale and I am moving up there in with her in a few weeks. I look forward to turning into one of you NOR scumbugs.

In terms of nice suburbs basically anything west of the freeway is golden within 15km of Nedlands.

I have always been in the Vic Park/Bentley area for uni first moving to Perth (07-16) and been back in Belmont (no really) since and found everything nice in both areas for the most part in terms of shops/bars etc (Vic Park strip is brilliant). I did grow up in a country area and have zero affinity for the beach, so I genuinely would have no idea how much of an annoyance being 20-30 mins from the beach instead of 5mins truly is.

Girlfriend is in Woodvale and I am moving up there in with her in a few weeks. I look forward to turning into one of you NOR scumbugs.

I'm in Nedlands but the food out here does not compare to VicPark

being 6-8 degrees cooler than the CBD, on our hottest days has its advantages though

I'm NOR all my life and even I'd prefer Vic Park/Bentley over Woodvale. It's a great area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's her university? It might affect recommendations.

I always recommend north of the river because I find it's easier to access the city from there. Preferences will vary obviously.
I always recommend south because you pay less for the same kms from the city. Live 10 mins north and you’ll pay significantly more than 10 mins south.

Welcome, I hope you are ok with the initiation ceremony:

Innaloo, IMO, kinda sucks. It's not a bad area, it's just not that good for the price and proximity to the city. I had friends that lived in Woodlands right near the cinema (so on the border) and it wasn't convenient. Maybe over near Cedric St/Odin Rd is better for walking to Stirling Station, but the traffic around Scarborough Beach Rd, Liege St, Stephenson Ave etc. always seems to be horrible. So it has a train station and is only a few exits from the city on the freeway, but can be a total pain in the balls to get to either. If I lived nearby I would probably go further from home to the Farmer Jacks near the lake to avoid going to Westfield Innaloo. Meanwhile I have friends in Tuart Hill which is probably seen as less desirable (East of the freeway) and you can use Main St or Wanneroo Rd then Charles/Loftus and it doesn't seem that bad.

Agree that South > Norf generally in terms of value for money. If you are keen on CBD apartment living it's probably the only thing that is still cheap to buy/rent. Just avoid the riff raff in Kardinya.

Spitty you been dropping parcels off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back