The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do WA fans get the idea that distanced travelled is supposed to be equitable?

Why doesnt WCE charter a plane?

West coast and freo actually looked into the cost of buying a plane and chartering it out when not used by the sides. This was so there was extra room on the plane and the players could do certain recovery things on the plane, travel at lower altitudes etc. etc.

The Afl told us to **** off because of their contract with virgin.

Miniscule extra chance of cancer in old age = shorter football career?
And they travel what? 11-12 times a season. Strange we haven't seen nba or mlb players retiring early and sueing their leagues for the cancer they were exposed to as a result of their travel schedules. Pilots and aircrew appear to be at higher risk over half a lifetime of flying almost daily. not afl footballers.
west coast and freo travel about 26,000 k a season. seattle mariners over 70,000k. All teams travel far far more than the Perth teams
. The only cancer common to all mlb players is oral - don't chew tobacco!
My post should have filled in the necessary logical blank, I guess. Sorry to leave you confused or thinking I'm a moron :D

My point was, given that there is documented evidence that air travel has an effect on the body in terms of increased rates of cancer, it is highly plausible to suggest that air travel affects the body in other respects, such as recovery from injury and fatigue. Though these may not be measurable week to week or season to season, it seems to be measurable over the course of one's career, looking at the statistics.

At the elite level of any sport, even minor differences in a range of different factors has an effect on relative output/competitiveness. (In a very close game, for example, a fraction more speed in one player taking part in a single play could mean the difference between winning and losing).

It is rarer for individuals who have spent the majority of their career in WA to reach 300 games than those who play the majority of their career at a Victorian club. In fact, Pavlich is the only one thus far.

It would be possible to formulate an appropriate hypothesis and apply a statistical model to this phenomenon, which would identify if the perceived difference in length of WA players' careers is statistically significant. Of course, this would not automatically make air travel the main factor (food, water quality, training facilities, and local infection rates are other possible factors but that would take an entire controlled study to discern).

I hope that makes sense. I'm being purely objective here, and I am not implying that something drastic should be done by the AFL, especially until such a time comes that someone undertakes the necessary statistical analysis to prove and measure a reproducible effect.

By the way, your bit about the NBA teams - I don't know what the stats reflect, but I'd hazard I guess that the amount of travel over there is more evenly distributed that it is in the AFL. In our competition, I'd probably be quite correct to suggest that the distance travelled by the WA teams would be statistical outliers

Last edited:
But it wouldnt be the same...

West Coast would be travelling 30k km more than some teams!

According to WA fans in this thread, ALL other clubs should be put out to make up for the geographical location that their clubs find themselves in....that is the "fair" thing to do.

I might be in the minority but I don't want special treatment for being based in WA, just for the AFL not to made it harder than it is always going to be with 5/6 day breaks, guaranteed trips to Tassie etc.

H&A is always the fairest system. The AFL have a half arsed system where they still think it's a H&A comp (ie no conferences etc.) and pretend to equalise various things.

I might be in the minority but I don't want special treatment for being based in WA, just for the AFL not to made it harder than it is always going to be with 5/6 day breaks, guaranteed trips to Tassie etc.
Yep, it seems most WA fans feel travelling more kms should entitle them to special treatment.

8 six day breaks is tough, but Hawthorn, North also have that many, so if you say you dont want special treatment it is just the same as other teams.

Seriously the Tassie stuff is taking the piss, with Virgin putting on direct flights how is it any different to playing in Melb or Syd?

H&A is always the fairest system. The AFL have a half arsed system where they still think it's a H&A comp (ie no conferences etc.) and pretend to equalise various things.
Conferences would be fairest system.

You sit on your arse for a few hours how bloody hard is it. Is it the massive time difference. Cmon I've traveled between Perth and Melbourne a hell of a lot as I'm now based in perth. Now I'm no professional athlete but I get off the plain and go about my day no different than if I didn't travel at all. Its just an excuse IMO. One that doesn't really get brought up a lot when the team wins interstate. Unless of course they want to remind everyone how hard they have it.

Mate
There are some entitled Victorian fans on this site. The idea of losing, even marginally, their advantage sends them into a spin.
I'd love if Carlton played over here every second week. Id actually get to see them more than a hand full of times a year.

But it wouldnt be the same...

West Coast would be travelling 30k km more than some teams!

According to WA fans in this thread, ALL other clubs should be put out to make up for the geographical location that their clubs find themselves in....that is the "fair" thing to do.

Not fair, try equitable - that's a feature of sport yes/no? IF you want to play in a national comp it involves national travel, IF its a suburban comp you want, its the VFL for Vic clubs ?

hahahahaha.

then you don't need to buy more "home" games then :thumbsu:

Good to see a Hawks fan acknowledge the concept of home & away games is past its use by date - both the Hawks & the Cats use the rules to max advantage, & are successful on & off the ground.
The less successful Melbourne clubs hang on to the 20th century desperate for relevance tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sit on your arse for a few hours how bloody hard is it. Is it the massive time difference. Cmon I've traveled between Perth and Melbourne a hell of a lot as I'm now based in perth. Now I'm no professional athlete but I get off the plain and go about my day no different than if I didn't travel at all. Its just an excuse IMO. One that doesn't really get brought up a lot when the team wins interstate. Unless of course they want to remind everyone how hard they have it.

Is there an issue with recovery for you? Is recovery relevant?
I've FIFO'd out of Perth to Sydney for 10 months, the trip home was longer eh?

I'm guessing you're also not 190cm+ trying to squeeze into an economy seat either, given their are normally about 10 business class seats normally. If they are really lucky they might get an exit row!

I think it has a significant impact on recovery, which acrues over time.

WC have looked exhausted all year and not managed to get out of second gear with the shortened pre-season.

Interestingly, the AFL does nothing to mitigate the travel factor and still gives WC away games in Brisbane, or Tasmania.

They showed a graphic and WC had thousands more km traveled than even Fremantle.

For a comparison, WC had 33,000, WBD had 2,000.

When you look at the home ground advantage the WBD have, with umpiring every bit as favorable as WC's, plus many more home games a year, it is frustrating that the AFL does so little to minimise short breaks or long trips for the side and sits as a distinct disadvantage.

Stop being a sook!

More teams in WA, less travelling, a GF in WA, longer breaks for WA players, the list goes on.....

What the hell do you want?

You lot are worse that my wife.

Stop being a sook!

More teams in WA, less travelling, a GF in WA, longer breaks for WA players, the list goes on.....

What the hell do you want?

You lot are worse that my wife.

Look in the mirror & you'll see an elitist afraid of change - the Hawks & the Cats have left your old entitled thinking & moved on. See 2016 on & off ground.
Your list:
More teams in WA - no thanks, certainly not more teams
less travelling - that would result from an even distribution of travel, which If not an issue would be embraced Lebo - is travel an issue Lebo?
longer breaks for WA players - again not an issue with an even distribution of travel

Elitist Pies fan, now that is an oxymoron, an entitled Pies fan, they are a dime a dozen.

i'm not quite sure what people think the solution to this is. should carlton play collingwood in perth just even out the travel?
An enterprising WCE fan had the solution...ignore the concept of home games, instead having 'city' based games.

So Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast get 15 games in their city and play outside of their city just 7 times.

Simples

Remove this Banner Ad

The Perth travel myth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back