The Philadelphia Experiment - Pulmonary Contusion

Remove this Banner Ad

Less Pressure. Less pressure in regards to what? My reading of this was less pressure to make the decision on who to take at number 1. It's a tough decision, and potentially getting it wrong can cost a GM his job. Being happy with the second pick means you are happy to take the player left over, and there is less pressure as you don't have to make the hard decision in a two player draft.

As a GM if you haven't got the guts to make the hard decisions, then you're gutless. Being at the top of any elite team sports, where you are a GM or List Manager, you have be able to make these calls.

Sam Hinkie spoke about this before last years Draft Lottery, and there was much discussion on some Sixers blogs and podcasts afterwards. There was some discussion again this year after the draft lottery when reports surfaced that some GM's were overheard saying that were glad they didn't have hard choice of selecting between Simmons and Ingram.

Yeah makes me think it's a smokescreen to get done teams to up their offers to unload ja

That gives Colangelo way too much benefit of the doubt which he hasn't earned. His entire run in Toronto and Phoenix are littered with these quick fixes irregardless of long-term cost.

It's a ridiculous proposal, and if it truly is being considered, I have no ****ing faith in this team. If we didn't have a legit starting PG by the 17/18 season then sure, overpaying Teague when he hits UFA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. To do it for Noel is just no ****ing words. You'll end up overpaying him anyway so he doesn't leave. Goddamn.

Exactly the kind of bullshit moves we feared were going to happen. How long before the LA pick or the Kings pick is dangled in a useless trade? Josh Harris is a ****ing muppet.

To be fair an overpay now doesn't kill you. The cap rises so much you can max a guy and still be under the floor

Throwing a front loaded deal to get a starting calibre point isn't the worst idea although the cupboard is bare with free agent points

No real issue with overpaying for a PG in free agency, either this year or next. But to do so by trading Noel is unbelievably dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when the point guard doesn't fit with the age demographic of the team. You don't make this type of trade for a player that won't be around for when your theoretically competing for rings.

People need to understand, if the Sixers are drafting Ben Simmons, then Ben Simmons will be the point guard, it's just that he will be playing the power forward position.

Ben Simmons confirming he has signed with Nike and revelations that the Lakers haven't even invited him for an interview all but confirms Simmons will be a 76er next year. Interesting times for Philly.

Well in the realm of Sixers fans can't have anything nice for long, there seems to mixed signs on whether Dario's coming over.

Obviously makes the most sense for him to stay another year, but everything that's come out of Euro journos, Brown and even Dario's own mouth seemed to suggest that he was coming. No doubt his agent is telling him to stay, which blows because he is balling in Turkey atm.

Can't blame Colangelo if he doesn't come, but I'll blame him anyway.

Well in the realm of Sixers fans can't have anything nice for long, there seems to mixed signs on whether Dario's coming over.

Obviously makes the most sense for him to stay another year, but everything that's come out of Euro journos, Brown and even Dario's own mouth seemed to suggest that he was coming. No doubt his agent is telling him to stay, which blows because he is balling in Turkey atm.

Can't blame Colangelo if he doesn't come, but I'll blame him anyway.

Financially, as it's been known since he was drafted, it's totally beneficial to stay one more season. The one thing people seem to ignore is that it'll cost him one more season- that is, one year of his life doing (I assume) something he doesn't want to (playing in the Turkey rather than the NBA).

So I'm still hopeful.

He strikes me as a guy who is hyper competitive and who wants to come. Hopefully they get bundled out in the finals next game, prob can't say too much while he's still playing.

The thing is too is that he might actually be hurting his long term EV by not being in the NBA next season even if his initial equity might be more.

Really keen to see what happens pre draft and during the draft in terms of trades.

Seems half the Comp wants a piece of the nerlens and okafor action! If somehow we get embid, Simmons and some good trades plus saric.

The next year our own first and lakers first, things could be cooking!

Hype.

061316_embiid-ingram_1200.jpg

From Chad Ford at ESPN.

And remember this is considered a pretty weak draft outside of the top two or three.

I think that the Sixers and I both believed that the most valuable asset they had other than the No. 1 pick was [Jahlil] Okafor. I think that now, several weeks of gauging that interest around the league has led them to the conclusion that he might not be as valuable as they once thought. I think they went into the process asking the question, 'Would we trade for the No. 3 pick, or the No. 4 pick or the No. 5 pick for a guy like Okafor, would that be good value for us?' And I think they've walked out of that scenario saying, 'We don't think we can actually get that for Okafor right now.'

I think that's less an indictment on Okafor than it is a realization that center has become a little bit like a running back in the NFL... Especially the sort of player Okafor is, which is a back to the basket, below the rim, not particularly athletic, not going to stretch the floor, doesn't necessarily play defense big man. That just doesn't fit the schemes that most NBA coaches are after, including I think the 76'ers. So I think there was a major miscalculation on the part of Sam Hinkie when he selected him at [three].

[Nerlens] Noel might actually end up having more trade value because he does some things in the modern NBA, his ability to defend multiple positions, his shot-blocking, his ability to finish on the break, that make him perhaps a more attractive option right now. They're exploring that as well, but it's not easy to necessarily move either of those guys right now and get the sort of value that Philadelphia wants, which I think what they want is a top five or six pick in this draft, or a young point guard, or a young two guard that can really shoot the basketball to pair on the floor with Ben Simmons.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Philadelphia Experiment - Pulmonary Contusion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back