Competitions THE PIEMAN CUP 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi dogwatch - In your post of who's playing whom, you have us playing Adelaide. Surely we are playing the Collins St Bankers?
True, but events move so swiftly during a Covid19 outbreak that by tomorrow we might discover we are playing Hawthorn or the Milwaukee Bucks.

Just make sure you pick whoever's going to kick a bag and you'll be fine. (But ummm ... PM me if you happen to know who that will be. ;))

Thanks. I'll fix it.

The Pieman Cup Round 2 (AFL Rd19 v Melbourne)

Just a reminder that this is Round 2 of the knockout format Pieman Cup. The Pieman Cup does not in any way affect the outcome of the regular Pieman comp that has been running all season.

You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. If you don't post anything here I'll just use your normal Pieman team for this week as your team for the Pieman Cup.

However it is permissible to choose a different Pieman Cup team if you feel like it. All you have to do is post your selection here before the start time for the game.

All the usual rules apply (carryover teams, Pieman subs, no editing your original post, etc etc). The only new rules are (1) you can't have the same team as your direct opponent this week and (2) how a winner is determined if you and your opponent have the same score.

See the OP for details of all this.

Here is this week's handicap list (yes it's identical to the one posted in the regular Pieman thread):

1626960834635.png

Last edited:

Here's the Round 2 draw with your selected teams. It will be dynamically updated.

So far I've only included teams that you've explicitly asked me to include for the Pieman Cup. At some point in the next couple of days I'll start copying over your regular Pieman teams (unless you request a different Pieman Cup team of course).

The above Round 2 draw should now be visible to all ... as long as you have just opened or refreshed this page. Let me know if you can't see it.

There was a permissions problem - mea culpa. Apologies for any inconvenience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PIEMAN CUP ROUND 2 RESULTS

Results are up. See the table above.
I'll go back and re-check the numbers but they look about right. I just wanted to post them tonight. (I'll post the weekly Pieman results tomorrow)

If there are any protests, send them in triplicate to dogwatch c/- BigFooty with a $50 note attached.

Congrats to the winners who now move into the Round of 16. I'll do the random draw for that during the week.

So after Round 2 there are only 16 left in the Cup.

There were a few surprise results and a few close margins. The biggest news was the elimination of our Pieman season leader Wocka by Doggies_13 in a low scoring 53-44 result.

Round 3 of the Cup will be the Adelaide game this week. The winners will move into the quarter-finals. Stay tuned for the Round 3 draw.

PIEMAN CUP DRAW - ROUND 3

Here's the random draw for the Pieman Cup Round 3 (Round of 16)

I like the match-ups!

1627390149673.png
The eight winners will go through to the quarter finals (AFL Rd 21).

What to do:
You can post a separate Pieman Cup team for this round if you want.

However you can also do nothing, in which case you'll get your regular Pieman team from the other comp. You do NOT get a carryover of your team used in last week's Pieman Cup (unless of course that's what your Pieman team happens to be).

Secret Selections:
From this round on, if you want to prevent your opponent from knowing which players you've picked you are allowed to PM me your picks rather than post your team here. I will post that I've received your entry by PM but I won't disclose which players you've picked until shortly after the game starts. (Floridog - since I'm still in the Cup myself this won't work in your case. Instead I will exempt myself from this rule and post my team here fairly soon after the selected side announcements so you are not at a disadvantage. I then won't change that team unless forced to do so because of a late withdrawal.)

Bonus 20:
Also something I didn't spell out but is probably understood: In the Pieman Cup you are still eligible for the 20 point bonus if your team contains five different players who all score at least one goal. Same as for the regular Pieman comp.

Pieman (and Pieman Cup) Handicaps Round 20 v Adelaide

1627573449745.png

Pieman Substitutes Rd 20

If substitutes are needed they are (in order):

Hannan​
Bontempelli​
Bruce​
Naughton​
Daniel​

Some extremely tight contests in Round 3 of the Pieman Cup!

A couple of blow-outs:
VL3OJ (105) def Boyd oh Boyd (44)​
X_box_x (103) def TempletonTheRat (52).​

Then there were a couple of other fairly comfortable margins:
lateniter (75) put an end to ScragCity's good run (52)​
Fossie 32 (111) def BEaston (77)​

After that there were FOUR extremely close results:
Snarls Barkley (99) def Doggies_13 (96)​
josh the gent (67) def Kermit (64)​
Floridog and dogwatch played out a 65-65 tie​
Vinegar Mess and businessfish also played out a tie, this one being 63-63​

So I had to go back to the rule book on tie-breakers to find the winners. It was decided by who had the highest points score from [behinds scored x handicap]. I divided all results by 6 for good measure since 1 goal = 6 points.

Vinegar Mess and businessfish had the same four players out of five so it came down to their respective fifth players: B Smith and Macrae. As Macrae scored a behind and Baz didn't that was enough to clinch it for businessfish.

The Floridog-dogwatch one was even closer with dogwatch getting up by just 0.67 of a point because he had Naughton twice.

Scores should all be OK but I'd appreciate it if this week's participants could check their scores. The spreadsheet is new and currently there's more data entry than I'd like, so mistakes are possible. Let me know ASAP if you think there are any errors. The spreadsheet with all the scores is above, a couple of posts back.

This week's winners will go into the quarter finals in Round 21. Here's hoping the footy is actually on next week.

I'll publish the QF draw mid-week.

Some extremely tight contests in Round 3 of the Pieman Cup!

A couple of blow-outs:
VL3OJ (105) def Boyd oh Boyd (44)​
X_box_x (103) def TempletonTheRat (52).​

Then there were a couple of other fairly comfortable margins:
lateniter (75) put an end to ScragCity's good run (52)​
Fossie 32 (111) def BEaston (77)​

After that there were FOUR extremely close results:
Snarls Barkley (99) def Doggies_13 (96)​
josh the gent (67) def Kermit (64)​
Floridog and dogwatch played out a 65-65 tie​
Vinegar Mess and businessfish also played out a tie, this one being 63-63​

So I had to go back to the rule book on tie-breakers to find the winners. It was decided by who had the highest points score from [behinds scored x handicap]. I divided all results by 6 for good measure since 1 goal = 6 points.

Vinegar Mess and businessfish had the same four players out of five so it came down to their respective fifth players: B Smith and Macrae. As Macrae scored a behind and Baz didn't that was enough to clinch it for businessfish.

The Floridog-dogwatch one was even closer with dogwatch getting up by just 0.67 of a point because he had Naughton twice.

Scores should all be OK but I'd appreciate it if this week's participants could check their scores. The spreadsheet is new and currently there's more data entry than I'd like, so mistakes are possible. Let me know ASAP if you think there are any errors. The spreadsheet with all the scores is above, a couple of posts back.

This week's winners will go into the quarter finals in Round 21. Here's hoping the footy is actually on next week.

I'll publish the QF draw mid-week.

Doesn't change the result but I should be on 72, Garcia kicked a goal.

Doesn't change the result but I should be on 72, Garcia kicked a goal.
OK thanks. That's the sort of silly error I was concerned about. I mis-typed it as "Harcia" and since the formula picks up the string value it didn't record a match! 🤦‍♂️

Next year I'll aim to have both comps in the one app (either Excel or Google Sheets) so I should be able to automatically link data between them and eliminate errors like that.

Once I corrected the typo it was all good. Thanks for the feedback.

There were three teams specially entered for the Pieman Cup this week (the other 13 were content to use their Pieman team).

Of the three:
  • Doggies_13 would still have lost whichever team he used but he scored way better with his Cup team (96 compared to 53)
  • I would NOT have won with my regular Pieman team (65 compared to 43)
  • Kermit WOULD have won if she had put in her regular Pieman team (64 to 116)

So ... mixed results. Not sure if there's a lesson there or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back