Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Really persisting with Buku as a forward then. I mean, I guess it makes sense - good hands, elite athleticism and good kick for goal. But where does he slot in? I hope we hold onto him and dont let him go to some other mob for a bag of chips. Plays a lot taller than his 191cms. Maybe he has to learn to play a bit shorter as well

We look very tall! 4 key defenders. Interesting indeed.
This. I understand the enthusiasm of the O’Donnell selection and I am excited too, but where will he play. I already believe we are too tall down back and was advocating one KPD to come out and a third tall/medium type in. Bev ignored me yet again.
I hope it works and I wish JOD an excellent debut.

Dogs website has been saying since last night "All Public GA and reserved seat tickets for Saturday’s clash between Carlton and the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium are now exhausted." I just bought 2 x adult standing. Allbeit for just under $27 each. Hope this doesn't go to Caaarrlton. Anyways, I'm in.

Am I missing something, who is the second player that will debut this week? Also if memory serves me correctly Lewis Youg debuted against Carlton back in 2017 and we won? Personally I don't think we'll win or lose on the back of this selection, however the stradegdy behind it could play a big part :)

Buku debuted against them in 2021 as well and we won that.

Probably just me looking through my new rose coloured glasses, but this has a bit of a 2005 Dale Morris vibe about it...

...anyone remember his first game?
Catch 22.
Most of those who are old enough to remember it have got age-related dementia by now.

You’re going well, GDB!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have always matched up well against us. Even in the years we were expected to flog them, they would always seem to beat us. Glad to see Bevo might be tweaking our gameplan this week.
Does feel like there is a concerted effort to learn from our mistakes this season. In previous years it has felt like we've prioritised consistency and really trying to sell everyone on the system/message, but it has felt a lot more flexible and transparent this season.

Time will tell if it actually achieves better results, but it does make it easier to stomach as a supporter.

Did he tag Brent Harvey? Or was that Picken?
Picken tagged Boomer on debut and then Deledio the following week.

Morris famously lined up on McLeod in Grant's 300th.

Darcy also kicked six goals in that match to kick start his Coleman Medal chase. But that ended suddenly the following week when he did his knee at Geelong.

As others have said, it was Andrew McLeod.

From memory (yes, Dogwatch, it's still functioning ), he held McLeod to 8 touches. Monstrous debut!

Was Morris ever dropped in his career?
Never.

He did drop Buddy in the 2016 GF tho.

Carlton have always matched up well against us. Even in the years we were expected to flog them, they would always seem to beat us. Glad to see Bevo might be tweaking our gameplan this week.
Yep.
I think our worst win-loss ratio is with Carlton.

I've witnessed many horrific games with them.
Getting belted in 1998 at Optus when we were flying and they were near bottom is probably the worst.
Needed therapy after that one 😳

Last edited:
The irony.
Morris' career highlight was in the front half of the ground
I always thought the high point of his 253 game career was against the Saints in Round 3 of his fourth season (2008) when he recorded his one and only Brownlow vote.

Never has such a great player been so undervalued by the system devised to identify great players.

I always thought the high point of his 253 game career was against the Saints in Round 3 of his fourth season (2008) when he recorded his one and only Brownlow vote.

Never has such a great player been so undervalued by the system devised to identify great players.
He did manage a podium finish in 2016. The club certainly never underestimated him

Great game that one. Probably Cameron Wight's best game for us... and there weren't many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back