The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I'm not bothered about what meals you can or can't have. When I'm in Adelaide I'll eat at least once due to being able to have a club room to visit, have a beer and a feed. I feel privileged to be able to sit in a place all my heroes as a kid have graced. I mean Greg Phillips poured me a beer. You couldn't whipe the smile off my face. I'm sure there's another mob in town that don't have that luxury. Give me a parmi and a cold beer and the history around the place makes it taste ten times better. If I want crayfish ala creamy something or other, I'll save up for a year and fly to Sydney.
Not really a sustainable business model that though is it?
Rely on interstaters and country folk to be so committed that they'll be sure to visit when they are passing through Adelaide, even though the food is shit. Yeah, can't see a flaw there at ALL.

Far better than improving the food and having locals visit regularly.
I take the family most weeks and the food has slid a lot, still good enough (just) for now though.

Not really a sustainable business model that though is it?
Rely on interstaters and country folk to be so committed that they'll be sure to visit when they are passing through Adelaide, even though the food is shit. Yeah, can't see a flaw there at ALL.

Far better than improving the food and having locals visit regularly.
I take the family most weeks and the food has slid a lot, still good enough (just) for now though.
Where did I say it was shit? I enjoy having a feed there as do other friends from the country.

Where did I say it was shit? I enjoy having a feed there as do other friends from the country.
You said you weren't bothered and would go anyway, though admirable that's not really the point.

You said you weren't bothered and would go anyway, though admirable that's not really the point.
Nah. I said I wasn't bothered with what I can or can't have, saying the food and drink tastes better in a place I love is a figure of speech. By no means do I think the food is shit but will eat there anyway.

Our club thrives on history AND innovation and we must move forward with The Port Club as with everything else we do or we WILL stagnate. Ok keep the history but update it. I find the place a bit depressing, especially the dining area, it has no atmosphere where the tables are, maybe it's the lighting, I don't know. The new bars area looks good but what about a beer garden? Put in a museum somewhere there. Get some window access to the oval. Do something for kids. Yes, it's marginally ok and yes it's on the hallowed ground, where it will remain, but it needs updating. A lot on here are sounding like the Cows who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the Adelaide oval, because they liked the status quo at AAMI. There are issues at the Port Club and they need to be addressed. Like KT said about the footy department, sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Maybe a $10 donation from the members would help. I'd donate if they created a space that I could drag my mates along to.

Took a large retinue of family and friends for dinner last night. Everyones meals were good, no complaints. TBH the salad and veg bar were a bit on the average side, I suppose being a Monday night its ordinarily quiet so they don't go top shelf with it.
In stark contrast to the last time we wanted to eat there, the night of the AGM and the line to order was mental. More forward thinking from management wouldn't hurt, if the club is hosting an event clearly we need a second till.

I like the idea of all the members making a one off donation to the port club, but I doubt our interstate members are gonna feel good about being shaken down for a tenner for a place they've never stepped foot in... But theres some merit in the idea.

Popped outside for a bit of fresh air and caught the Maggies having a wee scratch match... cannae do that at nordburger.

I was there last night too!

Yet again they didn't have any ribs, I go for the ribs! If it wasn't the club I certainly wouldn't return.

Some band or something (four guys with beards and eyeliner) are here at the club, they were posing for pix with the cup now they're on the oval with some players standing on each other's shoulders... maybe a fringe act..

Will comment on the food and carpet after lunch..!

Some band or something (four guys with beards and eyeliner) are here at the club, they were posing for pix with the cup now they're on the oval with some players standing on each other's shoulders... maybe a fringe act..

Will comment on the food and carpet after lunch..!
Sounds like TSW's entourage.

Yep. I currently have 263 badges, sit on 525 different beers and am Level 35 IPA.

:cool:
Damn....

I joined NYE and I'm up to 67 uniques.... I've got some drinking to do it would seem.

Here now

Will report back
Salad bar is good as is roast veggies

Parker is also eating here as is nicks

Can't identify who they're sitting with though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't had a burger in a month across the states that is as good as Burger Theory

I haven't had a burger in a month across the states that is as good as Burger Theory
Went there a couple of weeks ago and had the one with the Blue Cheese sauce/Bacon and Onion... Did not look like much, but OH BOY! That sauce!!

Was in there today, salad and veg bar looked average to say the least.
The specials weren't all that exciting and to top it off members cards are no longer honoured on the specials.

I've tried to hang tough and have faith that'll it will come good but it keeps getting worse with every visit, I don't know that I'll bother anymore. I'll pop in for a pint especially after watching the boys run, but I wont be stopping for my lunch again any time soon.

At the most recent AGM the Port Club reported a rather sizeable drop in profits but stayed in the black by making cuts to service and staff, how long can they keep that up.

The place has become hit and miss, and it really cant afford to be. The last few times I've been around at lunch I reckon theres been a handful of seniors getting the seniors menu, and the club staff eating there... not good. Something needs doing and soon.

I don't understand how just about every suburban pub can offer a $10 lunchtime special menu, and be packed and we can't.

Went here for dinner for the Richmond game. Food was good, ribs were awesome and even had a Sticky Date Pudding for dessert. Mate got the Parmageddon and it looked pretty great.

lovejoy3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back