The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

We just said g'day. He was there to meet a table of people some were Port fans some were Essendon fans the club was filming something with that group and him and some cup that table had. Not sure what that story was.

I read a story earlier today about a couple of mates (1 Port, 1 Essendon) who have some form of a bet for the Gavin Wanganeen Cup

Food is borderline inedible now. Was with a group of 15 or so for the game. An embarrassing amount of food made its way back to the kitchen. Wtf happened?

Making cuts across the board keeps the numbers black but it's not sustainable, quality and service are compromised. Time for a new GM and a new board.

i don't like the sounds of 'Home Made' but i still want to try the parma for myself.

have they changed the carpet yet?!?!?! :D

I must be in the minority 'cos I've always enjoyed the food at the Port Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chefs... What a rooted industry to have to deal with them. I can only name about 3 local food business that have held on to a head chef for more than a year, coming from my missus that works in clubs and a mate who is an apprentice chef (also worked in 4 different kitchens in 3 years).

I imagine its an even bigger problem in cities ripe with new opportunities every day.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Generally not the chefs fault. Kitchens at pubs in particular are basically considered the last line of importance in terms of how much money gets spent on them. The wages allowed in the kitchen, the amount of money allowed to be spent on stock, the amount of money invested into equipment and the actual kitchen itself is always last thing on the list.

Chefs... What a rooted industry to have to deal with them. I can only name about 3 local food business that have held on to a head chef for more than a year, coming from my missus that works in clubs and a mate who is an apprentice chef (also worked in 4 different kitchens in 3 years).

I imagine its an even bigger problem in cities ripe with new opportunities every day.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Hospitality as a whole is a high turnover business. Its hard to find staff and incredibly hard to keep good staff. In the 8 years i've been at my job we've probably had a complete turnover of staff 5 times. Its ridiculous.

Our local(ish) cafe seems to be a bit of a rarity. They've had the majority of their staff, in the kitchen and waiting, for about the last 7+ years. Consistently good quality food, very good friendly service, popular. They treat all their staff well. We have quite a few other friends in the industry with very different experiences.

Australia is in the grip of a chronic chef shortage. The problem is so dire owners of many restaurants are recruiting kitchen staff directly from overseas, with one Sydney restaurant group recently spending $60,000 on a mission to...http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...s/news-story/bbc95f2c41d2b291385596afdf73c56c

A good read for those interested.

I've worked in the industry for the past 10 years. We've been lucky enough to hold onto our head chef and sous chef for the best part of the last 7 years. But it's difficult, our management and senior chefs have been a constant everything else like others have mentioned has turned over at least 5 times.

The hours and the pressure those guys are under is immense for little appreciation and little pay. I'd like to find a chef who is working only 45-50 hours a week. It's more like 60-80.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Precinct at Alberton (Formerly The Port Club)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back