The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't send players into the PSD any longer, contracts now terminate before the draft, can no longer hold off list logdgement to force a player into the PSD, an uncontracted player can nominate for the ND or PSD, or both.

Logic would say that an uncontracted player should therefore be a free agent, and not be tied to a club or obligated to enter the ND or PSD. Obviously our current system doesn't work entirely logically and sensibly, though.

That's not right.

So you're suggesting that if Dangerfield went into the PSD he'd get past Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane, GC, St. Kilda, Essendon.

I seriously doubt that. They'd get their money back in extra memberships alone.

It's never happened because players/agents know that they'd get taken so they go to a different plan rather than the PSD.

You reckon they'd sell a million bucks worth of memberships to people wanting to watch a player who wont play.

OK.. And then what.? He would still be contracted for the remainder of the stipulated contract, are you suggesting he would sit out of AFL all together out of spite?

Say Carlton picked him up and he did choose to sit out the year, they would then trade him at the end of the year to pick up a first rounder or two for essentially nothing other than paying 1 year of the contract.

The PSD is a real threat, the reason it doesn't get used is because it makes no sense for anyone involved.

Nope.
He goes to PSD again...after signing a 1 year deal.

Essentially, danger field is trying to avoid the Chris Judd situation. While the Judd deal was, imo, fair. It left Carlton in no position to have a real crack at the flag.

The last thing he wants is for geelong to give up 2 first round picks and a player, go there, and then have zero success for the remainder of his career.

But, given that success is a factor, even worse for him would be having to go to Carlton, brisbane or melbourne. So that means that he needs a deal to get done, therefore Adelaide should match geelong offer and get decent deal back. Ie. 2 first round picks, or a first round pick and a decent player.

I honestly believe theyre in decline regardless.
Most of their young guys havent set the world alight.

Doesn't he have to nominate terms e.g the 5-6 year contract being mooted and anyone that picks him agrees to that deal? If he refused to play for a club and wanted to sit out, that's draft tampering and I'd ban him for life.

Expected it to be brought up, but would have thought Essendon supporters would be smart enough to keep quiet. It's a question of where you draw the line. Wingard was honest and said that he was likely to get homesick, but never refused to play for them, which obviously the AFL thought was okay. They could have drafted him, and it might have worked out for them, but they chose to go another way. If he refused to play for them, I assume he would have had a problem. If you recall the AFL was quite terse with Adelaide over the whole 'don't bother drafting Gibbs thing we will take him off of you' thing. In the end, they did, and he looks like being a one club player. Meanwhile my hypothetical involves a player entering the draft, getting picked up by a club, and then refusing to play for them. That is the worst out of all 3 examples by a considerable margin. So long story short, **** off and worry about your own club.

Expected it to be brought up, but would have thought Essendon supporters would be smart enough to keep quiet. It's a question of where you draw the line. Wingard was honest and said that he was likely to get homesick, but never refused to play for them, which obviously the AFL thought was okay. They could have drafted him, and it might have worked out for them, but they chose to go another way. If he refused to play for them, I assume he would have had a problem. If you recall the AFL was quite terse with Adelaide over the whole 'don't bother drafting Gibbs thing we will take him off of you' thing. In the end, they did, and he looks like being a one club player. Meanwhile my hypothetical involves a player entering the draft, getting picked up by a club, and then refusing to play for them. That is the worst out of all 3 examples by a considerable margin. So long story short, **** off and worry about your own club.

Touchy

images

Doesn't he have to nominate terms e.g the 5-6 year contract being mooted and anyone that picks him agrees to that deal? If he refused to play for a club and wanted to sit out, that's draft tampering and I'd ban him for life.

Its been done a million times.
Guys tank interviews (Wingard)
Guys just demand where they'll go (Ball)

They wont ever do anyone for draft tampering...

Also according to your theory what is stopping a player saying "if you draft me I dont think I'll be very happy and I wont feel like playing football"
Because that is what a player could say to avoid being drafted by someone else in the PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been done a million times.
Guys tank interviews (Wingard)
Guys just demand where they'll go (Ball)

They wont ever do anyone for draft tampering...

Also according to your theory what is stopping a player saying "if you draft me I dont think I'll be very happy and I wont feel like playing football"
Because that is what a player could say to avoid being drafted by someone else in the PSD.

What I am saying is that it is different if you vaguely mention it to scare people away, then if they call your bluff and you refuse to play for them and try to get into the draft the next year. Nathan Buckley was about as close as you could get to that which the AFL allowed but there was barely a draft back then. If someone did that now there would be a world of pain for them. If the AFL allowed someone to refuse to play for any club except the one they wanted, we may as well not have a draft / trading system at all. The point stands. If Dangerfield goes into the draft demanding a 5-6 year deal, someone will pick him up before Geelong because they have 5-6 years of security. If Dangerfield refused to play for them after 6 months and wanted into the draft ... I would expect him to be told by the AFL play for 'X' or get banned for a really ****ing long time. This is exactly the reason why it won't happen. Geelong will cough up something close to fair value knowing that Dangerfield can't just walk to them.

I wish people would stop with the:

"oh well if we cant get a trade we'll just send him to the PSD where Carlton will take him"

No.

Its never happened and it never will.

No club is going to pick a player that doesnt want to play for them.
Its pointless, and especially with a guy like Dangerfield, why would they pick a guy to pay him $900k to sit on the sidelines.

If a guy gets sent to the PSD he will still end up at his favoured destination.

Same with drafting as we learnt with Wingard who was a clear top 3 choice but GWS took a wide berth knowing he wasnt keen and would be 100% leaving at the end of his first contract.
No team has matched either. So your argument is flawed. Carlton Collingwood saints etc would back themselves to keep him or get a trade also. Patrick won't want to go near the psd

I wish people would stop with the:

"oh well if we cant get a trade we'll just send him to the PSD where Carlton will take him"

No.

Its never happened and it never will.

No club is going to pick a player that doesnt want to play for them.
Its pointless, and especially with a guy like Dangerfield, why would they pick a guy to pay him $900k to sit on the sidelines.

<cough>Veale Deal/Jade Rawlings</Cough>

Has happened and any club worth there salt, for the good of the comp, have to be prepared to take Danger and let him rot if he his unprofessional enough not to play for them!

In the end it comes to a game of chicken!

If Cats and crows were smart, they would trade some crappy crows player for the Cats 1st pick and then crows allow him to sign with out matching. Crows would then get there 2 1St picks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you had a high paying job in a company with multiple branches in different states, if you are told you're required to move to a different branch in a different state, are you a slave?

You could go work for a competitor in the state of your choice. And many people do exactly that.

No ones ever going to refuse to play if they getting drafted by a team they didn't want to go to.

They might say that but it would never actually happen and teams know that.

That's why trades happen because clubs know they can't get good players in psd.

Teams need to play hardball. He is a restricted free agent. The Crows have every right to match any offer to keep him. That is the whole point of restricted free agency. If the Cats want him, then offer a trade that the Crows will accept.

No player is going to refuse to play or put little effort in. It only greatly reduces the player's value for the next contract.
As soon as the clubs start pushing back, it will end the bullshit of players wanting to leave teams while under contract/dictate terms of being drafted etc.

Ever followed any American sports? Thats exactly how its done and so it should be! They run an awesome spectacle and the effective trading system adds to the spectacle, the AFL is amateur hour.
They can justify the restrictions based on what they pay them. The AFL would have to double the average wage to have such a system.

Remove this Banner Ad

The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back