The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

You can agree to trade a player to the club of his choice just needs to be at market value.

I thought the problem was having the clause saying that (in Tippett's case) that Adelaide would trade him to club of Tippett's choice for a second rounder. So specifying the value rather than testing it in the market and giving Tippett the choice rather than the other clubs; I thought those were the aspects that made it draft tampering.

I thought the problem was having the clause saying that (in Tippett's case) that Adelaide would trade him to club of Tippett's choice for a second rounder. So specifying the value rather than testing it in the market and giving Tippett the choice rather than the other clubs; I thought those were the aspects that made it draft tampering.
I think all the AFL wanted was the trade to be done at market value. All clubs tend to agree to attempt to trade to a preferred club anyway. Maybe you aren't allowed to specify it IDK.

<cough>Veale Deal/Jade Rawlings</Cough>

Has happened and any club worth there salt, for the good of the comp, have to be prepared to take Danger and let him rot if he his unprofessional enough not to play for them!

In the end it comes to a game of chicken!

If Cats and crows were smart, they would trade some crappy crows player for the Cats 1st pick and then crows allow him to sign with out matching. Crows would then get there 2 1St picks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AFL wont allow unfair deals, even if they are evened up in another deal.

Jade Rawlings wasnt hugely unhappy to end up where he did.
7 goals in his first game tell you he wasnt exactly down in the dumps about it.

No team has matched either. So your argument is flawed. Carlton Collingwood saints etc would back themselves to keep him or get a trade also. Patrick won't want to go near the psd

No club has matched for the same reason.
No team is going to pay for a player who doesnt want to play for them. Its as simple as that.

No ones ever going to refuse to play if they getting drafted by a team they didn't want to go to.

They might say that but it would never actually happen and teams know that.

That's why trades happen because clubs know they can't get good players in psd.

Thats because the team simply wont draft them
Look at the Luke Ball scenario.

No club has matched for the same reason.
No team is going to pay for a player who doesnt want to play for them. Its as simple as that.

If that was true then why would any trades ever get done for uncontracted players ?

Why wouldn't you just take them for nothing in the psd ?

Melbourne have said they will take Danger and they'll worry about if he wants to play for them when he gets there.

I woke up this morning, went to work and the shock is Dangerfield is NOT going to Geelong.:eek:..this will become known sometime next week. He's receiving offers from both the Roos and Blues that Adelaide can't possibly match. Geelong may yet enter the race, but they are NOT the frontrunners the media would have us all believe. It's a 3 horse race currently and the Cats are running a distant 3rd.

If that was true then why would any trades ever get done for uncontracted players ?

Why wouldn't you just take them for nothing in the psd ?

Melbourne have said they will take Danger and they'll worry about if he wants to play for them when he gets there.

Melbourne are idiots then.
Why would you pay a guy 2 years salary to do nothing.

Melbourne are idiots then.
Why would you pay a guy 2 years salary to do nothing.

Because he will play for them and most likely stay there for the rest of his career.

Why wouldn't he play ? if he doesn't he loses $1.6mil and two years of footy in his prime and a tonne of value for his next contract.

Because he will play for them and most likely stay there for the rest of his career.

Why wouldn't he play ? if he doesn't he loses $1.6mil and two years of footy in his prime and a tonne of value for his next contract.

Why would you play the rest of your career for the club you don't want to go to.
How do you think that drafting him against is will is going to change his mind?

Do you actually think about what you say?

He doesn't lose any money, he collects his cash and sits on the sidelines citing the club has upset him by keeping him away from his family. Dont you wonder why no club has ever done it?

Why would you play the rest of your career for the club you don't want to go to.

He doesn't lose any money, he collects his cash and sits on the sidelines citing the club has upset him by keeping him away from his family. Dont you wonder why no club has ever done it?

Why would he get paid ?

If you enter the draft you do so agreeing to play for the team that drafts you, if you don't play you get nothing.

If he ends up away from his family (a whole half an hour drive btw) then he will blame Geelong for not coughing up a decent trade. Its not like hes cleaning toilets at another club, he's still at an AFL team and still getting big $ and playing for a flag. Of course he'd play.

Teams have done it. Rawlings and Stevens for example. They both played the rest of their career there.

The reason it rarely happens is because good players rarely go in the psd because teams pay up at the trade table because they know they wont get to them.

Are you saying if you were list manager at the Pies you would flatly refuse to offer anything for Treloar and then just pick him up in the psd ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they most likely would.
Why would they put their balls on the line for a team that they didnt want to go to, who deliberately screwed them over?

Because players like Dangerfield have pride, they want to remembered as a great player. He might be ticked off at the start but these players are the type to give their all for the club they play for. He may request a trade down the line who knows, but he wont sit out or go about things half assed. He is a professional.

Either way, it wont happen but is a good threat by Adelaide.

I presume you are a little simple/******ed with the amount of crap you have posted on this page.

AFL wont allow unfair deals, even if they are evened up in another deal.

Jade Rawlings wasnt hugely unhappy to end up where he did.
7 goals in his first game tell you he wasnt exactly down in the dumps about it.
Well actually:

"Rawlings, 26, did not conceal his disappointment and was at first hostile to the prospect of becoming a Bulldog. His manager, Liam Pickering, sought advice from the AFLPA and later explored the possibility of his client entering the national draft to force the Bulldogs into overlooking him for teenage standout Adam Cooney."

(http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/12/1068329637994.html)

He came around to playing for the Dogs but wasn't happy and eventually was traded to the Roos where he really wanted to go to!

Well actually:

"Rawlings, 26, did not conceal his disappointment and was at first hostile to the prospect of becoming a Bulldog. His manager, Liam Pickering, sought advice from the AFLPA and later explored the possibility of his client entering the national draft to force the Bulldogs into overlooking him for teenage standout Adam Cooney."

(http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/12/1068329637994.html)

He came around to playing for the Dogs but wasn't happy and eventually was traded to the Roos where he really wanted to go to!

So... what happened?

He ended up at the place he wanted to go, which is exactly my larger point!

The bulldogs were stupid to pick him. So other teams wont make that same mistake, especially in the more professional environment of the current day.
In modern footy it just wont happen.

I love that people have to go back to like what 2004 to find someone that it happened to, and even then my point was spot on, as he left 2 or 3 years later for the bulldogs anyway.

Because players like Dangerfield have pride, they want to remembered as a great player. He might be ticked off at the start but these players are the type to give their all for the club they play for. He may request a trade down the line who knows, but he wont sit out or go about things half assed. He is a professional.

Either way, it wont happen but is a good threat by Adelaide.

Pride? If that was the case why not sign on and be a one club player?

He wants to go to Geelong. Not Carlton.
I wish people would stop thinking the clubs have power. They have virtually none.

Why would he get paid ?

If you enter the draft you do so agreeing to play for the team that drafts you, if you don't play you get nothing.

If he ends up away from his family (a whole half an hour drive btw) then he will blame Geelong for not coughing up a decent trade. Its not like hes cleaning toilets at another club, he's still at an AFL team and still getting big $ and playing for a flag. Of course he'd play.

Teams have done it. Rawlings and Stevens for example. They both played the rest of their career there.

The reason it rarely happens is because good players rarely go in the psd because teams pay up at the trade table because they know they wont get to them.

Are you saying if you were list manager at the Pies you would flatly refuse to offer anything for Treloar and then just pick him up in the psd ?

Not good examples.
Stevens was talking to Carlton before Collingwood even entered the picture. He was happy to go there.
Rawlings left after 2 years and ended up where he wanted anyway.

So I'll ask again

Why ever offer any sort of trade offer for an uncontracted player ?

Why not just pick up Treloar with pick 90 in ND ?

So... what happened?

He ended up at the place he wanted to go, which is exactly my larger point!

The bulldogs were stupid to pick him. So other teams wont make that same mistake, especially in the more professional environment of the current day.
In modern footy it just wont happen.

I love that people have to go back to like what 2004 to find someone that it happened to, and even then my point was spot on, as he left 2 or 3 years later for the bulldogs anyway.
hang on, I made my point to show your comment was wrong (your comment: "Its never happened and it never will." ) and you showed that you were wrong.

But as far as the Blues and in the past the Dogs go, they would be giving up very little to get one of the best players (dogs not best player but a player they saw they needed) in the league.

In all honesty, I don't see Danger as being good for the Blues, its really outside the sort of age of the player they need now, but if he was available, they would almost have to take him! If not them, the Suns would be mad to let him go!

hang on, I made my point to show your comment was wrong (your comment: "Its never happened and it never will." ) and you showed that you were wrong.

But as far as the Blues and in the past the Dogs go, they would be giving up very little to get one of the best players (dogs not best player but a player they saw they needed) in the league.

In all honesty, I don't see Danger as being good for the Blues, its really outside the sort of age of the player they need now, but if he was available, they would almost have to take him! If not them, the Suns would be mad to let him go!

This is my point though.
The blues WILL NOT take him.
Brisbane WILL NOT take him.
They wouldnt be that stupid.

People can say what they want from their clubs perspective, but when it came down to it and they spoke with the player and he said theres no way I'm playing for anyone bar club x, then he gets to his favoured destination.

If you think that's the case... Why didnt GWS take Chad Wingard?

This is my point though.
The blues WILL NOT take him.
Brisbane WILL NOT take him.
They wouldnt be that stupid.

People can say what they want from their clubs perspective, but when it came down to it and they spoke with the player and he said theres no way I'm playing for anyone bar club x, then he gets to his favoured destination.

If you think that's the case... Why didnt GWS take Chad Wingard?

Its a big game of Chicken! If Crows are willing to get nothing, they can push hard. If they are frighten of getting nothing, they will be weak in their dealings.
If Cats are willing to let him stay at Crows or go to the draft, they will push a hard deal. If they are desperate to get him, they will be more likely to give up more.

In reality, something in the middle happens and you hope for a fairish deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

The PSD 'Threat'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back