Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah just watched the whole match with no dramas.
Was down for a bit during the 3rd quarter but got back to normal by middle of the 4th. Went over to the Geelong board and some of them were having the same issues. Who knows

Anyone here had any dealings with mice in the house? I thought I saw one in the corner of my eye last night and upon further inspection I finally found some mouse droppings around the house. I've set up a trap (the kind that doesn't kill the mouse) but now that I've confirmed there is one, I'm gonna buy a few more traps soon.

Does one mean there is really more than one in the house? Or is it possible it's just a one off? Should I be checking the roof cavity too?

Never had to deal with mice before, I barely have to deal with spiders in the house, so I'm not sure how vigilant I need to be to sort the problem out.

I don't really want to use mice bait simply because I don't want the mouse to die in a place I can't find it.

Any advice?

Anyone here had any dealings with mice in the house? I thought I saw one in the corner of my eye last night and upon further inspection I finally found some mouse droppings around the house. I've set up a trap (the kind that doesn't kill the mouse) but now that I've confirmed there is one, I'm gonna buy a few more traps soon.

Does one mean there is really more than one in the house? Or is it possible it's just a one off? Should I be checking the roof cavity too?

Never had to deal with mice before, I barely have to deal with spiders in the house, so I'm not sure how vigilant I need to be to sort the problem out.

I don't really want to use mice bait simply because I don't want the mouse to die in a place I can't find it.

Any advice?
Get a cat - mouse probs sorted.

7f5fa90d-2082-43f2-b3c8-6b229d731a8e-2060x1236.jpeg

Any advice?
When mice are the problem , you have to hate those meeces to pieces......get a trap old fashioned and use an emery board to file down the edge of the catch...you have to have it so if a hair touches it...slam......you get over the emotion of the whole Buddhist thing ....get In early and hit em hard or the multiplier effect occurs. Its turf war ...yours becomes theirs.....they are possibly Russian.

Any advice?

Any advice?
No ideas but I have a story.

I stayed at a mates place in WA back in 2018 for two weeks. Well it wasn't his house, he was staying at his mates place and they let me stay there. Anyway I've never had issues with mice anywhere I've lived but on my very first night I was laying in bed and heard scratching so I thought it must be a branch scraping the wall outside or something. Heard more of it, turned the light on and there was a mouse crawling across a clothes rack, and one just staring at me from the floor. I told my mate about it the next day, he'd been living there 3 years and never noticed anything so he was even surprised but the next night we sat and waited until we heard scratching, turned the light on and saw them. Now the three of us know there's a problem, so we went to Bunnings the day after, picked up some huge traps and laid them around the house. None of them worked. Still heard scratching, we assumed it was a family so we shifted our focus to finding the mother rat. After a week of keeping an eye out, we found nothing.

I left back for Melbourne and 2 days later I get a video sent to me of them finding the mother rat under the oven, watching it run from under the oven to under the TV stand, and then watching them scream like children as it bounded towards them while they are both trying to hit it with a broom. It ends up running around the lounge room and then out of the dog door. It was about as big as a small dog.

Good luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got 4 death traps set up and one catch and release. Truth be told I'm hoping it goes into the death trap so I don't have to deal with it myself.

Got a few of those bait pouches, gonna chuck a few in the roof just in case. The last thing I want is for 1 mouse to turn into 10.

I feel like I'm living in a hovel lol

I've got 4 death traps set up and one catch and release. Truth be told I'm hoping it goes into the death trap so I don't have to deal with it myself.

Got a few of those bait pouches, gonna chuck a few in the roof just in case. The last thing I want is for 1 mouse to turn into 10.

Not a good feeling.
Other things you can do are just simple stuff, seal up openings/entryways, clean like a madman and remove all sources of food. Nothing left out, open food in sealed plastic containers etc. If you've got pets particularly messy ones like birds who tend to share their food with the floor every chance they get - youve got to be vigilant with that stuff too. Not necessarily deciding factors but can help.

Not a good feeling.
Other things you can do are just simple stuff, seal up openings/entryways, clean like a madman and remove all sources of food. Nothing left out, open food in sealed plastic containers etc. If you've got pets particularly messy ones like birds who tend to share their food with the floor every chance they get - youve got to be vigilant with that stuff too. Not necessarily deciding factors but can help.
I actually deliberately left food out last night just to confirm there was a mouse. I only saw it out the corner of my eye so wasn't 100% sure, and funnily enough the food was still there this morning so I presumed I was seeing things until I found some mouse poo. Reckon it might have pissed on my keyboard too while it was crapping on my office desk, some of the keys are really sticky.

Have never even seen a mouse outside, even during the plague, but that's life I guess.

No ideas but I have a story.

I stayed at a mates place in WA back in 2018 for two weeks. Well it wasn't his house, he was staying at his mates place and they let me stay there. Anyway I've never had issues with mice anywhere I've lived but on my very first night I was laying in bed and heard scratching so I thought it must be a branch scraping the wall outside or something. Heard more of it, turned the light on and there was a mouse crawling across a clothes rack, and one just staring at me from the floor. I told my mate about it the next day, he'd been living there 3 years and never noticed anything so he was even surprised but the next night we sat and waited until we heard scratching, turned the light on and saw them. Now the three of us know there's a problem, so we went to Bunnings the day after, picked up some huge traps and laid them around the house. None of them worked. Still heard scratching, we assumed it was a family so we shifted our focus to finding the mother rat. After a week of keeping an eye out, we found nothing.

I left back for Melbourne and 2 days later I get a video sent to me of them finding the mother rat under the oven, watching it run from under the oven to under the TV stand, and then watching them scream like children as it bounded towards them while they are both trying to hit it with a broom. It ends up running around the lounge room and then out of the dog door. It was about as big as a small dog.

Good luck

Footage of George and his mouse.

Generally speaking, I "trained" them to follow outside with food things to then deal with outside, takes time but it's generally easier to have patience and train them to go "somewhere specific" to then engage things, as people forget that mice can climb, mice can jump, mice can do many wonderous things instead of just scurry around on the floor. They're also kind of clever when flight kicks in, so they need to be calm, curious and just around enough to then meander into whatever you've set up willingly, pavlovian response doesn;t just wok with dogs.

Granted, was less than humane in the end as you just don't screw with livelihoods and live yeah?

We've only had one around these parts and it was less a mouse and more a rat as plenty of stray cats around and we've pretty much got a fam of crows, magpies, cokcatoos, galahs and whatnot that hang around to pick on small things to eat to make them wary as it is, but yeah, the rat say ended up getting the back end of a shovel to a scoop and whack into the fence. Mice you can generally train and otherwise all cute and aww, rats can GAGF, those are the bastards you need to worry about.

If you have them in the roof at all, chances are it's a rat and not a mouse and you'll have some damages as opposed to just fecal matter, be careful of using any bait just in case you have things like possums in your area, as they can be drawn to the smell and end up taking the hit instead.

Get a cat - mouse probs sorted.

7f5fa90d-2082-43f2-b3c8-6b229d731a8e-2060x1236.jpeg

When i met my wife she had a young cat, looking a lot like that one.
It found a nest of baby mice outside.
One at a time she brought them into the house , played with them until they stopped moving ( Terrified not dead ) then left it on the ground as it went and got another.

I had to try to scoop them up and get rid of them before they crawled off under something.

Quick update on the mouse situation (lol).

I've added 2 additional death traps to my arsenal, so I've got 6 traps and one catch and release operating. 4 traps and the catch and release have Mayvers Peanut Butter (best on the market), but the two new traps I've added today have a lovely mix of cheese (the 3 type grated pizza cheese offering). I'm pretty sure I heard it scratching inside a reclining chair in my office last night but at this point I may simply be going mad with the thought of sharing my domicile with a rodent. It seemingly has stopped roaming the house, I haven't seen any mouse poo since the other day, which is nice.

Ideally it's moved on to terrorize someone else, but I'm not convinced.
I guess if I'm to look for the positives in this situation, I've now got a better understanding of what Ukrainians are dealing with right now. Unwanted guests are truly awful.

Quick update on the mouse situation (lol).

I've added 2 additional death traps to my arsenal, so I've got 6 traps and one catch and release operating. 4 traps and the catch and release have Mayvers Peanut Butter (best on the market), but the two new traps I've added today have a lovely mix of cheese (the 3 type grated pizza cheese offering). I'm pretty sure I heard it scratching inside a reclining chair in my office last night but at this point I may simply be going mad with the thought of sharing my domicile with a rodent. It seemingly has stopped roaming the house, I haven't seen any mouse poo since the other day, which is nice.

Ideally it's moved on to terrorize someone else, but I'm not convinced.
I guess if I'm to look for the positives in this situation, I've now got a better understanding of what Ukrainians are dealing with right now. Unwanted guests are truly awful.
Try avoiding using baits as sold by Bunnings. There have been a lot of native owls dying by this poison after eating rats and mice who eat this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back