List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameras have caught the exact moment that Silvagni convinced Power to accept pick 45 for Macrae.

WefjRvt.gif

Kemps highlights looked impressive. But he has got a history of being unavailable for selection.

I’m not prepared to say it was a good or bad move until i see who we get at 32, or whether we deal it for a better draft hand.

But our unwillingness to depart with the pick suggests we know what it’s worth is.

Any connections we have to Kemp now (SOS / Dow / Stocker) won’t go away over the next 12 months. Patience may be the right play.

Yeah I reckon missing out on Kemp could burn us to an extent. Maybe not as bad as Xerri but Kemp was a top 5 prospect in his draft year before an ACL. AFL regular, 23 years old, fills a positional need, and would only cost pick 32 + junk

Missed opportunity

I guess looking at the big picture of the three trades that we made I would've been happy with Kemp & Macrae for that freebie 2nd. Initially I hated the idea, but warmed to it as time went on.

Would've meant our off-season so far would be:

St Kilda in: 8, Macrae, Kemp
St Kilda out: Battle, 27.

Instead we did...

St Kilda in: 8, Macrae, 32
St Kilda out: Battle, 27.

It's a great draft, so not going to lose sleep over it - but Doogs and Wilks (and Roma for that matter) are going to have their work cut out for them.

As has been alluded, that 32 may be super important for a pick swap as well. So again, let's look at the big picture once it's all said and done.

Kemps highlights looked impressive. But he has got a history of being unavailable for selection.

I’m not prepared to say it was a good or bad move until i see who we get at 32, or whether we deal it for a better draft hand.

But our unwillingness to depart with the pick suggests we know what it’s worth is.

Any connections we have to Kemp now (SOS / Dow / Stocker) won’t go away over the next 12 months. Patience may be the right play.
Not really, he did an ACL, then had back issues on his comeback. But once he was over that he's played pretty much every game it looks like. It's funny, reading more about him he sounded like a Battle clone...

He either comes next year (I'd say this year was our only chance) or he re-signs at a premium putting more of a squeeze on their cap. I still think SOSs end game is TDK free agent and will be on that hill til he signs.

End of the day, not a Saints player so be gone with him. The club clearly had a value on him and unlike us fans, kept a lid on it instead of letting the emotions get in the way.

We haven’t improved ourselves over the trade and free agency period. If anything we’ve regressed. Yes a good, but aging midfielder comes in, but opportunities for a Battle replacement and possible ruck support went nowhere.

Getting excited now about who pops up as a DFA now is actually pretty depressing.
Sobering, but very valid post. Hopefully RL & Enright can work some magic with our Battle sized hole back there.

The Kemp situation is pretty annoying, I dare say if the Dogs didn't sit on their hands all trade period then it could've been worked.

So we offered our F2, they wanted 32, credit Stav for the info.

It would've been our freebie pick from GWS for Kemp & Macrae, which would fill our biggest 2 positional needs within our best 22.

One look at Carltons draft hand sees them stacked for late picks for the twins, that's unfortunate because we would've loved then no doubt. They had also traded their F1, so again, hamstrung for late future picks.

Geelong had minimum chips in the way of late picks with only 3 selections, Dogs had nothing late either. Seems both clubs wanted to keep all of their future picks.

So back to Sam Power, they had to send that on to the Cats anyway. A week of posturing for 2 spot improvement, then to swap with Cats for a 7 spot improvement with Smith. He is clutching at nothing but other clubs deal in good faith and practically give away picks.

It's a shame considering all 4 clubs were involved in the trade, with more time to haggle I reckon Kemp would've been a Saints player.
We didn't even put an offer to the Dogs until the last day so I'm not sure we can blame them

Surely we hold our selections until draft night - unless something outrageous presents itself to us.

Unfortunately, it's fanciful to think that we will have an opportunity to push into the top five of the draft and gain access to the 'premium' mids we hope slide to our current selections.

Best case scenario is that someone like Smilie slips to pick seven and then we start to get takers for our next pick. If we could acquire a couple of picks in the teens, I dare say Dalrymple would have some targets that fit our system.

We haven’t improved ourselves over the trade and free agency period. If anything we’ve regressed. Yes a good, but aging midfielder comes in, but opportunities for a Battle replacement and possible ruck support went nowhere.

Getting excited now about who pops up as a DFA now is actually pretty depressing.
The aim is to improve our list through the draft.

We've been bringing in bog average players for 10 years and it's got us nowhere. We finally have a good core of kids coming through to build around.

Brodie Kemp played 21 AFL games and three VFL games in 2024.

He played 17 AFL games and five VFL games in 2023.

His durability was not a question.

Brodie Kemp played 21 AFL games and three VFL games in 2024.

He played 17 AFL games and five VFL games in 2023.

His durability was not a question.

Not really, he did an ACL, then had back issues on his comeback. But once he was over that he's played pretty much every game it looks like. It's funny, reading more about him he sounded like a Battle clone...

I stand corrected.

Out: A good, but not great general defender on $900k

In: The first A grade, clearance capable mid to assist Steele for years
A high first round draft pick in the strongest/deepest draft for years

If you’re depressed looking at what lies ahead for the young core of this list I can’t help ya

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had three goals at beginning of the FA and trade period
Band 1 compo
Macrae for a fair price
A backup ruck
All without touching 7 & 8 and a minimal down grade of our second.
Also a full suite of futures.

We need internal improvement from the young kids we have brought in over the past 3 to 4 years and develop the prospective two top ten midfielders.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Preuss with a 1 year contract with a trigger (games played) for a 2nd.

If he gets his body right, awesome! If not he's only on our list for a year and costs us nothing.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never quite got Preuss, he was always talented but seemed to be low ambition.
It was bizzare when he chose to go from being second fiddle behind Goldstein to second fiddle behind Gawn.

I'm happy.

I trust the powers that be have a plan for ruck and battle replacement.

Macrae is a great get. Exactly what we need right now. We gave up very little for him.

Hopefully some real quality comes our way in the draft to mix with the likes of Pou, Nas, Wilson, Owens, Windy, Garcia, Ari. No reason why it shouldn't

We are so much further down the track than when seb ross was winning b&fs. It felt hopeless to me then. I'm genuinely excited now.

I never quite got Preuss, he was always talented but seemed to be low ambition.
It was bizzare when he chose to go from being second fiddle behind Goldstein to second fiddle behind Gawn.
same,can only guess Gawns bags are lighter than Goldy's,making it a more attractive gig carrying them than goldies on match day and interstate trips

by the time he got to the giants with a chance at number 1 ruck,flynn then briggs sailed on past him

If you’re depressed looking at what lies ahead for the young core of this list I can’t help ya
Been said over and over and over at this point, most of our improvement is to come from within.

We got Macrae as a glaring need. Battle cover was always going to be an "if it doesnt cost much" (and were still looking at Tomlinson from all accounts).

Weve upgraded over this FA/Draft period, 100% but its small gains cause the development is where its at.

I was talking about immediate improvement. Next year. Like what Hawthorn have just done for example. They have sailed straight past us and left us with windburn. 12 months ago we had just played finals with a young list and they finished bottom 3.

I agree we are hopefully heading down the right path with the draft. But we’ve done that before. Doesn’t help us immediately, and doesn’t guarantee anything.

But hey, blokes like me, and so many others have been patient for over 50 years. What’s a few more.

Rinse and repeat and hope something changes. Hope for some luck finally. It’s hard not to be super pessimistic as a 56 year old supporter.

History would suggest Hawks will get it right and we will more than likely balls it up.

I’ll start getting positive again around draft time.🙂

Sadly we'll never know what might have gone down in that last hour frenzy if Sam Power hadn't held the trade period hostage until there were only 2 minutes to go.

I think the improvement came for us in the last two months of the year when we got some injured players getting blocks of games.
Clark, Jones and Dow really showed something and gave us a stable midfield. Pou went back to the VFL and stayed thereunder than the coaches wanted. He wanted to stay a couple more weeks and he looked to have Bont traits when he returned.
Wilson all 23 games, drift out mid season but had some very good games in the back half.
Windy injured will improve, Henry, injured, will improve, King injured, willimprove. Sharman, Owens and Hammer will improve, Garcia, Shoenmaker.
Two top tier mids from the draft will surely get games.
We have potential for improvement everywhere.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was talking about immediate improvement. Next year. Like what Hawthorn have just done for example. They have sailed straight past us and left us with windburn. 12 months ago we had just played finals with a young list and they finished bottom 3.

I agree we are hopefully heading down the right path with the draft. But we’ve done that before. Doesn’t help us immediately, and doesn’t guarantee anything.

But hey, blokes like me, and so many others have been patient for over 50 years. What’s a few more.

Rinse and repeat and hope something changes. Hope for some luck finally. It’s hard not to be super pessimistic as a 56 year old supporter.

History would suggest Hawks will get it right and we will more than likely balls it up.

I’ll start getting positive again around draft time.🙂
I usually push the same line TBH but i think you have to consider what we already have as opposed to what Hawthorn went out and got.

We actually have genuinely A grade (or potential A grade players) on every single line, a very solid defensive structure that mostly caters to a team first defense and then kids with now 2-3-4 years of development either already stars (Nas) or poised to break out.

Were digging in with a plan based around the game plan and style that suits our strengths, the hawks have taken a big swing which might pay off (i think the jury is out personally, all their players need to be as good or better next year which is a huge ask) weve trusted what we know and are building something that looks to me pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back