The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that! Play burgoyne forward have him rotating with wingard 50/50

Next yr will be the year for tob to step up consistently! he is my pick to hold down a key pos.
he may very well be the differance if we figure in september or not.
it will be crucial for him or lewis or even brand at the other end to hold a regular spot down. If not we will play two rucks all year. You cant have roughy as your sole tall targert we tried that it doesn't work, even with a improved midfield.

The new rule change for the ruck position is generating some discussion about the return to two rucks:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-13/ruck-and-role-will-new-rule-change-tactics

FB: Stratton.........Frawley..........Hardwick
HB: Sicily.............Brand..............Birchall

Ce:
Henderson.....Mitchell...............Smith
Ru: McEvoy.........O’Meara...........Wingard

HF:
Gunston.......Roughead............Scully
FF: Breust............Ceglar.............Puopolo

I/C:
Morrison...Shiels...Burgoyne...Impey

Em: Howe...Worpel...Nash

Gee... There’s a lot of good run & pace there. Hendo is good for 4-quarter run. Smith is the best. Scully is a beast, with pace & loves a goal. Birchall loves a rebound & roost. Mitchell doesn’t stop. Impey breaks lines. Sicily kicks over/through lines. O’Meara has burst pace. Burgoyne still has burst pace. Wingard has pace. Puopolo has good pace. Shiels runs all day. Hardwick fancies himself on the rebound & Morrison somehow just bees in the right spots.

I kinda just want to swap Worpel in with Morrison (out), just to add some additional grunt.

I’d be pretty interested to hear Nicky-Dal & Johno’s thoughts on the 13 / 14 sides that’ll finish above that Team...

Ce:

HF:

I/C:

Gee... There’s a lot of good run & pace there. Hendo is good for 4-quarter run. Smith is the best. Scully is a beast, with pace & loves a goal. Birchall loves a rebound & roost. Mitchell doesn’t stop. Impey breaks lines. Sicily kicks over/through lines. O’Meara has burst pace. Burgoyne still has burst pace. Wingard has pace. Puopolo has good pace. Shiels runs all day. Hardwick fancies himself on the rebound & Morrison somehow just bees in the right spots.

I kinda just want to swap Worpel in with Morrison (out), just to add some additional grunt.

I’d be pretty interested to hear Nicky-Dal & Johno’s thoughts on the 13 / 14 sides that’ll finish above that Team...
The others on that show were rolling eyes too. 4 win gap between 12 th and 13th in 2018. Big gap to cross

Ce:

HF:

I/C:

The others on that show were rolling eyes too. 4 win gap between 12 th and 13th in 2018. Big gap to cross

B: Sicily, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Birchell, Stratton, Burgoyne
C: Smith, Mitchell, Scully
HF: Wingard, Gunston, Impey
F: Puopolo, Roughead, Breust
FOLL: McEvoy, O'Meara, Sheils
IC: Scrimshaw, Howe, Henderson, Worpel

Won't bother posting a team because this is nearly identical to what I would have gone with.

Hoping to see Dylan Moore get a run at some point too. His finals series made me think he could be a great replacement if Poppy goes down with an injury again.

I thought Impey played his best footy on ball this uear, like to see him have another run as a starting mid with another pre season understand his belt.
Will add some nice speed to the mix.

I think Impey will replace Burgoyne in the side as the player that's thrown around the field to fill gaps.

Hard 22 to pick.

As sad as it will be I would like to see several youngsters replace Rough, Pop, Birch, Hendo by sometime next year.

I'm most curious to see if Sam Mitchell can revive Lovells career & take Cousins to next level. What he does with Worpel & Harry will be exciting also.
Can’t see Rough being overtaken. Birch we don’t know how well he is going perform. But if Rough has a similar year to last year than I do t see anyone overtaking him. That’s not anything against our young KPFs. It’s simply is that roughy is too good

I think Impey will replace Burgoyne in the side as the player that's thrown around the field to fill gaps.
Impey should be forward / mid there were times when he was invisible in defence. In preseason he was busting away from stoppages, getting loose on the wing and kicking goals. Need more of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just started to look comfortable and we dropped him.
I believe that when both Frawley and Brand play together they both look better.
They seem to get confidence from the fact that it's not all on them alone.

When Brand's the only key defender he get's nervous but when Frawley's there to take the gorillas
Brand backs himself in more often. They feed off each other. This way we have two big key defenders
allowing Sicily to be more creative rather than play a lockdown role.

B: Sicily, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Birchell, Stratton, Burgoyne
HF: Wingard, Gunston, Impey
F: Puopolo, Roughead, Breust
FOLL: McEvoy, O'Meara, Sheils
IC: Scrimshaw, Howe, Henderson, Worpel

Love it.

Worps and Howe in the starting 22 needs to happen every week.

I had a lot of older heads still in the best 22 earlier in the thread, which I believe to be warranted. However some inevitable position transitions will hopefully mean some 2019 game time for the bolded greenies

B: Stratton, Frawley/Brand, Hardwick

HB: Birchall/Schrimshaw, Sicily, Morrison

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Wingard

F: Puopolo/Moore/Hanrahan, Roughead/Lewis, Breust

FOLL: McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels

INT: Howe, Impey, Ceglar, Worpel

Beginning to get a really good mix.

If everyone is fit

FB: Impey - Frawley - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Sicily - Hardwick

C: Smith - Mitchell - Scully
R: McEvoy - O'Meara - Shiels

HF: Wingard - Gunston - Breust
FF: Ceglar - Roughead - Puopolo

IC: Burgoyne - Howe - Worpel - Henderson

EMG: Morrison - Moore - Schoenmakers - Lewis
That team looks filthy good between half back and half forward.

Hoping for some of Brand, Lewis, Moore, Hanrahan, Cousins, Scrimshaw, Nash, CJ, Glass and Irv to surprise me. All could grab spots with a good enough pre-season.

Last edited:
If everyone is fit

FB: Impey - Frawley - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Sicily - Hardwick

C: Smith - Mitchell - Scully
R: McEvoy - O'Meara - Shiels

HF: Wingard - Gunston - Breust
FF: Ceglar - Roughead - Puopolo

IC: Burgoyne - Howe - Worpel - Henderson

EMG: Morrison - Moore - Schoenmakers - Lewis
That team looks filthy good between half back and half forward.

Hoping for some of Brand, Lewis, Moore, Hanrahan, Cousins, Scrimshaw, Nash, CJ, Glass and Irv to surprise me. All could grab spots with a good enough pre-season.

Has Schoenmakers got a gig for 2019 as yet??

Remove this Banner Ad

The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back