The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Green has been working on his ball handling and mid range game so i'm really looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.

Green has been working on his ball handling and mid range game so i'm really looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.

Every time Green tried to dribble during the Finals he caused a turnover. He will have to improve significantly.

He barely turned the ball over against Miami in the finals, yes he is an average ball handler and he really needs to show his improvements this season. He cannot be just a 3 point shooter anymore when its not falling he needs to help the team in other areas on offence hopefully he can learn to drive to the basket and finish around the mid range area. I suppose we'll get a good look at his game tomorrow when they play CSKA Moscow

Only watched overtime of today's game but Mills and Baynes seem to have played well which is great. Those two played terrific in overtime, Mills looks like he his in great condition - really looks fit and i'm hoping he can get a bigger opportunity this season. Judging by what I saw of Young... man his ball handling is horrible not only that I knew he had a bad jump shot but it is UGLY, if he is going to be signed Chip needs to help him with his stroke ASAP.

Everything will have to go right for the Spurs to win the championship this season. Ginobili injury free, Leonard continues his improvement to all star level, Duncan continues to defy father time, Parker plays at the same level and Danny Green adds a level of consistency to his game & Splitter becomes a relioable force down low...

Probably a bit too much to ask i fear. Can certainly see Green & Leonard raising their games further but Ginobili to me looks finished (bar that one classic throwback game in the finals), Parker ankles are always a worry and surely Timmy will have to start declining at some stage.

Sad to say i think the spurs threw away their last chance at championship glory. Fortunately every other team in the west has question marks as well. But i think Miami & Chicago will have our number if make it back to the finals.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong tho.

I think you are wrong about Ginobili he aint done yet - he isn't the player he use to be but he is not done he wouldn't have signed a new contact had he felt he couldn't contribute to the team. With the Belli signing we actually have another player for the 2nd unit who can create shots for others which should allow Manu to be more of a spot up shooter this season I would think.

Other then that I agree with you, like last year everything needs to go right.

Everything will have to go right for the Spurs to win the championship this season. Ginobili injury free, Leonard continues his improvement to all star level, Duncan continues to defy father time, Parker plays at the same level and Danny Green adds a level of consistency to his game & Splitter becomes a relioable force down low...

Probably a bit too much to ask i fear. Can certainly see Green & Leonard raising their games further but Ginobili to me looks finished (bar that one classic throwback game in the finals), Parker ankles are always a worry and surely Timmy will have to start declining at some stage.

Sad to say i think the spurs threw away their last chance at championship glory. Fortunately every other team in the west has question marks as well. But i think Miami & Chicago will have our number if make it back to the finals.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong tho.

You're the favourite to win the West and second favourite for the title imo

No big 3 vs Denver, will be good to see Kawhi get some big minutes hopefully and being the number 1 option

I expect Kawhi to be huge this year, he is going to be a bigger part of the offense would not be surprised to see him average at least 16 and 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

166 starts over 4 seasons for a 37th overall pick is nothing?? Well done Mark Cuban, you just signed yourself a douche-bag.

The entire off season he has been sooking about how he was never given an opportunity.. What other team was going to pick up a 6'6 fat undersized center with no acls? He had plenty of opportunities it's just that a shitty floater and a lack of bball IQ ain't getting you anywhere on a top team. Got the Spurs circled on the calendar, for what? to say hey to some of the Spurs fans while he's getting splinters on the pine.

He has looked great during preseason, defense has improved - was great yesterday against the magic and is even quicker now because of his weight loss. Would be a solid scoring backup since he's a SG in a PG's.. we all know that though, I think he is the Spurs backup right now he has played well all preseason, Joseph has shown no improvement during both summer league and preseason which is disappointing and De Colo is just crap in general and needs to get out of San Antonio.

I think he would be ok for a lottery team but he really is not much more than a 3 point shooter that can light it up - that isn't a bad thing though.

After the heartbreaking loss in the finals 4 months ago it's time to move on. Our new season starts today I know the loss will still sting for the players and I hope they use it to motivate themselves for this season, hopefully we can get just 1 more shot for another championship. It's going to be a fun season hopefully all the players can stay healthy - Manu looks fresh and is starting the season off healthy (unlike last season), I think Duncan will have another fantastic season and Tony is going to be Tony, to get anywhere it's on the shoulders of Kawhi's improvement and I believe he is ready to be an allstar.

Defense again will be the teams moto as usual, we will be a top defensive unit once again but for this team but we need to improve on defense even more is defending 3's which is something Pop would have hammered into the players. Anything less than a championship this season is a failure. Time is running out to get Timmy his 5th. No matter what happens ill still be cheering for them:thumbsu:

Drive for 5, believe.

Good win today expected it to be a decent performance from everyone - no one dominated the game or really shined. Unlucky for Duncan to get hurt he'll be right though, Splitter and Leonard played well, Parker was solid but not great and Manu was terrific. Mills great first half with a poor second half and Belli didn't do to much in his debut for us but wasn't bad. Green hit a few mid range shots which is a good sign and a huge 3 in the fourth.

So after 5 games we've started the season off 4-1 with some close games that I thought would be reasonably easy - this isn't a bad thing though, being able to win the close ones is huge for the teams confidence. Hopefully we can start playing a lot better because we just haven't been able to put a full 4 quarter effort in yet. Signs look good for this team we just need everyone to stay healthy.

Duncan - How is he 37... he has played so well to start the season off and looks so fresh. As usual Duncan is Duncan and scoring the ball is not a problem for him, his jumper has looked good to start the season off and is still that anchor on defense. the only concern so far is he hasn't been able to rebound the ball that well as of yet but it will come.

Parker - He has just taken over games for us. Besides the Portland game he has played fantastic and looks like he could yet be an all star again. Mid range game looks yet again money every time he shoots. Explosiveness looks like it has come back after the Lakers game, fingers crossed he can stay healthy all year again.

Ginobili - Finally is healthy and can get his body to do things it wasn't doing in the finals last year. Has shot well during the first 3 games but cooled off against Denver and was quiet against the Suns (scoring wise) in the second half but for a 36 year old is playing good defense when needed to and creating for others well.

Leonard - Pretty underwhelming tbh... Hasn't really taken any game over but hasn't played bad he is playing his role but could do more to help this older team. His confidence for his 3 point shot seems gone, always pulling up for a long 2 which isn't falling a lot anyway. Defense of course has been great but should really attack the basket more on offense.

Splitter - Besides still being soft now and then he has been great, he is finally rebounding the ball which is something he needed to improve on and he is moving without the ball well,setting great screens as usual. He deserves more playing time, the only problem is Diaw has been so good to take off the court.

Diaw - Didn't expect this Diaw to show up he has been tremendous there is not one bad thing I can say about his play so far, he is aggressive looking for his shot and if its not there will always look for the next best option. Rebounding has been better than I thought it would be and his defense has been good. Hopefully this new version of Diaw stays.

Green - Absolutely horrible, bad shooting, bad defense and he deserved to be benched these first couple of games but against the Suns he finally showed up and played a great all round game. Defense was fantastic for most of the game, his 3 ball was back and he was finishing around the basket which is always a bonus from Green. We all know he can go for a period where he just can't hit a three and loses focus on defense but needs to remember if the 3s aren't falling help the team in other ways. Hopefully this game against the Suns brought back his confidence.

Mills - He is our backup pg at the moment and deserves it, he is in the shape of his life and has played well off the bench for us. Isn't a good defender but tries and can be a pesk at times. Has shot the ball great and imo replaced Neal. He is actually willing to pass the ball more now too than what he did previously.

Belinelli - Besides the Blazers game hasn't done a whole lot. Just plays his role and takes whats given. Really unselfish and is going to thrive in the Spurs system with the more game time he gets. Expecting him to start playing a lot better over the next few games.

Aron Baynes - Hasn't seen much of the court after a great pre season, was pretty bad against both Memphis and LA in his playing time but deserves another chance and he will get it soon.

Jeff Ayres - Has been ok as a 5 minute player but thats it, he has an awful jump shot that needs fixing. Baynes deserves a chance now after Ayres hasn't done much to prove that he should be the 4th big.

Bonner - Uh, hits a 3 here and there thats it though. Can be useful if we are struggling from deep.

Joseph - Has had about 1 minute of game time.

De Colo - Has not suited up this season so far, he is a useless player for us. He will not be on the team next year but hopefully we can get a trade for him during the season for something.

Remove this Banner Ad

The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back