The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - he's the kind of guy that you don't take much notice of when he's there, but you really miss when he's out. There have been a few games where the opponent bigs have just really taken advantage of us, and at 57 years old, Timmy is showing some weakness as a solo defender, particularly against pick-and-rolls.
--

And as Ron said - I am quite happy with a 7-4 starts, and as per usual, the minutes are getting spread out right from the get go.

13 guys averaging 10mpg or more - or really 10 guys, if you take out Splitter (1 game), Belinelli (3 games) and Slo-Mo (5 games)... and of those 10, only Daye is playing less than 15mpg.

Joseph has been great taking over Mill's spot, Baynes has been playing his role - and I have been happy with the little bits I've seen of Anderson - clearly is far from setting the world on fire, but looks like he fits right into the Spurs system.
Yep - he's the kind of guy that you don't take much notice of when he's there, but you really miss when he's out. There have been a few games where the opponent bigs have just really taken advantage of us, and at 57 years old, Timmy is showing some weakness as a solo defender, particularly against pick-and-rolls.
--

And as Ron said - I am quite happy with a 7-4 starts, and as per usual, the minutes are getting spread out right from the get go.

13 guys averaging 10mpg or more - or really 10 guys, if you take out Splitter (1 game), Belinelli (3 games) and Slo-Mo (5 games)... and of those 10, only Daye is playing less than 15mpg.

Joseph has been great taking over Mill's spot, Baynes has been playing his role - and I have been happy with the little bits I've seen of Anderson - clearly is far from setting the world on fire, but looks like he fits right into the Spurs system.

I've been impressed with Baynes and Joseph but its just killing me watching Daye play.. I'd rather see Anderson get his minutes, looked good with the starters the other day, i just don't understand how Daye is still getting minutes he has been terrible and has not improved whatsoever. The sooner we get Beli back the quicker we don't have to see bricks from Daye.

Anderson gets his first game with the Austin Spurs (when did they change from the Toros? - this is now gonna get confusing) - and goes 18pts/11rb/6asts. Pretty good stat line... and good to see him get minutes. Hopefully if he's not gonna be getting minutes in the NBA they keep him in the D-League and get games into him until a time (maybe around all-star break/rodeo trip) when he could get more of a chance at the (SA) Spurs.
---

Also - with Messina stepping up to coach the last 2 games, after having only been here a few months - anyone else get the sense that this is Pop's eventual successor right here?

I've been really slack so far this season and haven't seen many games. Good to hear Anderson is putting up numbers in the D-League. What was the reason behind Pop's absents?

I've been really slack so far this season and haven't seen many games. Good to hear Anderson is putting up numbers in the D-League. What was the reason behind Pop's absents?

All they have said is that he's had "minor surgery", but no disclosure on what that is (fair enough). I haven't seen it confirmed when he due back, but Messina did say that Pop was around the team the other day - so it's probably nothing serious.

All they have said is that he's had "minor surgery", but no disclosure on what that is (fair enough). I haven't seen it confirmed when he due back, but Messina did say that Pop was around the team the other day - so it's probably nothing serious.

Hopefully he's back soon.

Any news when Splitter will be back? Baynes has been a great surprise to start the season off.

Any news when Splitter will be back? Baynes has been a great surprise to start the season off.
He's been consistent Baynes but I expected a lift this season after his excellent showing in the World Cup. He grabbed a few game by the throat almost literally at times. Never seen anyone so angry like in that Lithuania game. The article below adds more to the legend!

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...Baynes-screens-on-Spurs-teammates-5915381.php
“He’s a good screener,” forward Kawhi Leonard said of Baynes. “You have to watch out for him in practice. We try to leave him out of practice a little bit so he won’t hurt anyone.”

Tom-Hardy-as-Bane-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises.jpg

So surely im not the only one that thinks that Danny Green is in one of the all defensive teams so far. Defensively you could almost say he has been better than Leonard..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spurs are in a little bit of trouble... they need Parker and Leornard back asap

Nah, I'm not concerned about the record. In any other season 17-10 would be a pretty good start... and although we are 7th in the West, we are not that far behind, and know that it is a very long season.
Without our (arguably) 2 best players we took the team with the 2nd best record to 3OT, and followed it up taking the team with the 3rd best record to 3OT two nights later.
Not ideal, and would've been better to win one of those games - but nothing to be concerned of at all at this stage of the season.
All these minor (I hope) injuries, except for Patty's, have also caused a lot of inconsistency with the roster (I read something like we've used 15 different starting lineups already, in 27 games)... which is not gonna get you lots of wins, but gives plenty of game time into everybody on the roster - which is exactly what this team wants to prepare itself for March onwards - and is how Pop always has them playing throughout the year.

If we are still sitting at 7th around the All Star Break, then I will start getting concerned.

Spurs are experienced campaigners with one of the all time great coaches. A 18-11 start isn't ideal for a team like the Spurs but they'll be right in the thick of things come the post season.

Personally, I feel a streak coming, good win vs the clippers.

Nah, I'm not concerned about the record. In any other season 17-10 would be a pretty good start... and although we are 7th in the West, we are not that far behind, and know that it is a very long season.
Without our (arguably) 2 best players we took the team with the 2nd best record to 3OT, and followed it up taking the team with the 3rd best record to 3OT two nights later.
Not ideal, and would've been better to win one of those games - but nothing to be concerned of at all at this stage of the season.
All these minor (I hope) injuries, except for Patty's, have also caused a lot of inconsistency with the roster (I read something like we've used 15 different starting lineups already, in 27 games)... which is not gonna get you lots of wins, but gives plenty of game time into everybody on the roster - which is exactly what this team wants to prepare itself for March onwards - and is how Pop always has them playing throughout the year.

If we are still sitting at 7th around the All Star Break, then I will start getting concerned.

Getting major deja vu reading this post. People were saying the same things last season.

Austin Daye has been waived. If he wasn't going to get packaged in a trade deal this was going to happen. Wonder who we are looking at to get?

Austin Daye has been waived. If he wasn't going to get packaged in a trade deal this was going to happen. Wonder who we are looking at to get?

Didn't he have a 20 and 10 game only like last week?

Didn't he have a 20 and 10 game only like last week?

Yep, against the timberwolves he also did the same thing against them earlier in the season, the guy really is useless if he isnt hitting open shots and unfortunately that has been the case all season. Reading now we are going to sign Jamychal Green who is a better player. Athletic, can hit mid range shots and has a solid corner 3.

Based on RealGM, you guys wanted some Quincey Miller character but he signed with the Kings, so you gave a 10 day contract to some JaMychal Green character.

Anyway, I was a little surprised about Daye. He was given a relatively large amount of minutes. I thought Pop saw something in him nobody else did.

Based on RealGM, you guys wanted some Quincey Miller character but he signed with the Kings, so you gave a 10 day contract to some JaMychal Green character.

Anyway, I was a little surprised about Daye. He was given a relatively large amount of minutes. I thought Pop saw something in him nobody else did.

Nah, Pop just likes to play this game on occasions when he has all players who suit up spend exactly the same amount of minutes on court!

Looks like this might be the case... But it's still gonna be very tight from team 2 all the way through to team 10 (I wish at least the Pelicans would go away). The bottom line is that (at least) 1 very good Western conference team is gonna miss the playoffs.

Leonard's injury has been the key this season. For all of Green's defensive improvements, he's still prone to brain-fades and can be inconsistent offensively. While the injury has been a blessing in disguise for Green's maturity, Leonard's return will assist him significantly night to night.

Can we make a charge and take 3rd in the west?
I think we can, but we have to win at least 4 of the next 6 on this huge road trip, our next 6 are clippers, gsw, jazz, blazers, kings and phoenix, none are easy games and I can see all of them going down to the wire, what do you guys think?

Yes we can if we decided to play consistent basketball, fortunately we finally have a healthy run and which should start seeing us play better basketball. Thankfully the allstar break is here because players like Green and Diaw (Hopefully the break does him good) need to recharge

Yes we can if we decided to play consistent basketball, fortunately we finally have a healthy run and which should start seeing us play better basketball. Thankfully the allstar break is here because players like Green and Diaw (Hopefully the break does him good) need to recharge
you think second spot is out of the question?

Remove this Banner Ad

The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back