Toast The Selection Committee

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of Kyle Martin is the most bizarre, ridiculous non-inclusion youre likely to see

Apparently a guy who regularly gets 35 possessions and average 3 goals a game isn't good enough to get into this side.

Apparently, because he doesn't have a defensive side? Yeah, because the 22 out there all have a REAL defensive side that I'm sure KMart should be aspiring to emulate.

Predicted changes for next week:

In: Dwyer
Out: Kennedy

On current selection form I'd predict:

Out: Witts, White, Cloke
In: Mooney, Yagmoor, Clarke

Pretty soon our entire forward line will be defensive forwards who don't actually know how to kick a goal but lay one really good tackle a game. Rumour has it that Elliott was not actually injured but dropped because he was kicking goals instead of corralling his opponent.

Ben Kennedy's two classy goals in the last quarter against Gold Coast were not the kind of thing we were looking for out of a forward, which is why he was made sub. Back to the VFL for him, where he can one day aspire to be as good a player as Jarryd Blair.

The lack of Kyle Martin is the most bizarre, ridiculous non-inclusion youre likely to see
Kyle is continually failing to meet the KPI targets that Bucks sets him which is of course the be all and end all to selection.... I mean so far this month he has only licked Buck's @rse once and he didn't go in deep like Bucks expects.. It's a non-negotiable and until Kyle gets a harder firmer more defensive side to his @rse licking action he'll stay in the VFL.

Apparently a guy who regularly gets 35 possessions and average 3 goals a game isn't good enough to get into this side.

Apparently, because he doesn't have a defensive side? Yeah, because the 22 out there all have a REAL defensive side that I'm sure KMart should be aspiring to emulate.
You under estimate the importance of Blair. Here are some facts for you to ponder next time you think Martin should get a game.

Blair has kicked a massive 8 goals this year. Yes yes I know that on 2 occasions this year Josh Kennedy has kicked more than that in a single game but c'mon 8 goals! He is averaging a massive half a goal a game. A great return from a forward you have to admit.
He has amazing pressure skills. Just look at todays game. He laid a tackle. Yes 1 tackle. Now how many other players in the comp can boast those sorts of stats.
He quite often gets 12-14 possessions a game. Huge. Ok Martin gets 35 or so but I bet Martin can not even get close to Blairs ineffectiveness with his possessions.
Also not everything is stats. Some things are not recorded. For example have you seen the way Blair makes players run around him. This causes the opposition to run extra meters and therefore get tired.

Sorry if I came across too critical of your post but I just thought maybe you needed to hear some home truths.

You under estimate the importance of Blair. Here are some facts for you to ponder next time you think Martin should get a game.

Blair has kicked a massive 8 goals this year. Yes yes I know that on 2 occasions this year Josh Kennedy has kicked more than that in a single game but c'mon 8 goals! He is averaging a massive half a goal a game. A great return from a forward you have to admit.
He has amazing pressure skills. Just look at todays game. He laid a tackle. Yes 1 tackle. Now how many other players in the comp can boast those sorts of stats.
He quite often gets 12-14 possessions a game. Huge. Ok Martin gets 35 or so but I bet Martin can not even get close to Blairs ineffectiveness with his possessions.
Also not everything is stats. Some things are not recorded. For example have you seen the way Blair makes players run around him. This causes the opposition to run extra meters and therefore get tired.

Sorry if I came across too critical of your post but I just thought maybe you needed to hear some home truths.

Fair enough. I never thought about it like that before.

I know some it has been mentioned earlier, here's what bugs me though....

Last week we drop White, (forward) and bring in a ruckman - this week we drop a tall backman and play an undersized back line which makes Carlisle look like a cross between J brown and W Carey - wtf??

Hope we didn't sap the confidence of Kennedy after his last quarter we make him a sub?

Add to that we have too many slow, small types who don't have anything unique to add, they can all get the ball and that's it.

Taylor Adams can get it but I cringe when kicks it!

There is hope - Kyle Martin gets it kicks it ok and kicks goals, Broomhead is the same and with a bit of luck Fas and Reid will come in.

Bucks has talked the talk, let's see what happens.

How can they have Kennedy as the sub. How can you justify dropping Keeffe. They should be choosing players on their ability to kick and with a view to the future. Play broomhead every week, even if he is not ready at least he can hit a target. I'm not a big fan of Armstrong, but play him he can hit a target. Get Martin in the side. Fasolo needs to come in because he can hit a target. These players need to play because they can kick it to our players not the opposition. I would persist with Kennedy and Adams. They need time to get more comfortable with AFL footy.

We need to drop Blair goldsack young and Lumumba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Annoys me when people say he needs to get use to the pressure of afl.

Most of his shitty kicks are when he is by himself and under no pressure what so ever.
kicking is an overrated skill anyway.. as long as he can dive into packs and handball right... and anyway to develop his kicking we should play him in the seniors every week because senior AFL is really just a big Auskick clinic.

tumblr_lztwuyXS5d1r8zzvio1_400.gif

I'm worried that the bye came along one week too early after that performance. Should we be playing the Crows this week, I could see four, potentially five, changes to the side. Due to us having the extra week, dust will settle and only a couple of changes look like being made- one of which is an injury to maxwell.

Here's an excerpt from Jake Niall's Age article yesterday....

No one asked Buckley about his Keeffe selection blunder. The other obvious question was why Ben Kennedy started as the sub following his best game yet against the Suns. The unofficial explanation is that Kennedy was sore and the Pies worried about the kid lasting a full game.

Buckley's other contentious selection was Jarryd Blair. It's all very well for Blair to perform the one percenters. How about the 99 percenters of winning the ball and using it? He must have run out of chances, albeit there is increasingly stiff competition for omissions at Collingwood. Henceforth, the Pie selectors should err on the side of skill - they rank 15th for kicking efficiency differential, ahead of the Dogs, Giants and Saints.

Buckley's virtuosity as a media performer, willingness to face the cameras, make hard calls and even to accept blame on occasion have worked in his favour. But just as Collingwood has no excuse for getting dismembered by an Essendon without Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard and Michael Hibberd, Buckley has none for his own clangers in defence.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...well-keeffe-20140714-zt737.html#ixzz37TiWQ9bz

Here's an excerpt from Jake Niall's Age article yesterday....

No one asked Buckley about his Keeffe selection blunder. The other obvious question was why Ben Kennedy started as the sub following his best game yet against the Suns. The unofficial explanation is that Kennedy was sore and the Pies worried about the kid lasting a full game.

Buckley's other contentious selection was Jarryd Blair. It's all very well for Blair to perform the one percenters. How about the 99 percenters of winning the ball and using it? He must have run out of chances, albeit there is increasingly stiff competition for omissions at Collingwood. Henceforth, the Pie selectors should err on the side of skill - they rank 15th for kicking efficiency differential, ahead of the Dogs, Giants and Saints.

Buckley's virtuosity as a media performer, willingness to face the cameras, make hard calls and even to accept blame on occasion have worked in his favour. But just as Collingwood has no excuse for getting dismembered by an Essendon without Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard and Michael Hibberd, Buckley has none for his own clangers in defence.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...well-keeffe-20140714-zt737.html#ixzz37TiWQ9bz

What a great article. Sums up what most of us here feel about selection at the moment.

I was just about to post a quote from this article myself. The bit about "How about the 99%ers of winning the ball and using it?"
The selection decisions on Sunday were atrocious. We all know Maxwell is not a 1 on 1 defender. And why do we keep playing Goldsack, Blair, and Ball in the forward line. Sooner or later, somebody needs to actually kick a goal. We can only hope that Kennedy was indeed sore, it's the only valid excuse for not starting him on the ground.
I feel as though if there aren't changes to the side v Adelaide in a fortnight, there may be some kind of revolt from the fans. When you keep going back to the well, eventually it's going to dry out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The Selection Committee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back