Radio The SEN Thread 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon you and your mate were grouse on SEN. Even though I have little interest in US sports (don't get me start on how silly I think baseball is -- the game is weighted so heavily in favour of the pitching side that it makes no sense :D), I still liked listening to yooz guys on Sundee nights

RU....Thanks, I appreciate that. Think about how silly a comment your comment about baseball being silly is.....the game is weighted to the pitching side and three outs later, the pitching side is now the batting side and at a disadvantage. Of course, the point is to score more runs than the opposition. You can only score runs whilst batting, so how are the batting side at a disadvantage? In a typical game, each team will get 27 outs at the plate. It's totally balanced.......yet it pales in comparison to football and hoops, in this country.

Come to California...we'll take in a game and you can experience the game.

SS

personally, i'd rather see baseball played as 3 innings of 9 outs, but i guess the biggest problem there would be pitcher fatigue. have your timeouts for ad breaks and discussions etc, but get on with the game. cricket has a lot of breaks, at the end of every over, but you don't change from batting to fielding every 15 minutes.

RU....Thanks, I appreciate that. Think about how silly a comment your comment about baseball being silly is.....the game is weighted to the pitching side and three outs later, the pitching side is now the batting side and at a disadvantage. Of course, the point is to score more runs than the opposition. You can only score runs whilst batting, so how are the batting side at a disadvantage? In a typical game, each team will get 27 outs at the plate. It's totally balanced.......yet it pales in comparison to football and hoops, in this country.

Come to California...we'll take in a game and you can experience the game.

SS
Ha! Yes, I guess if you put it that way, the game is balanced, because both team have same weighted pitching adantage for same amount of time. Anyway, I ain't qualified to discuss it with someone like you, coz I'm really just a closet bogan who's only watched a bits and piece of it since it came on CH1. :D I just don't get how they can go so long at times with out so much as a base hit. I reckon that's just like no run at all being scored in cricket for about half an hour.

The following will probably make your skin crawl, or at least your eyes roll, and generate a "pffft" or two: :)

This is how I'd fix baseball: bigger bats, less fielders, and no gloves, at least for the outfielders. I'd balance this with less innings'.

Don't feel obligated to respond to this ignorance :D

On NFL, I reckon it's one of the best games in the world to view on TV. It looks fantastic on a big screen tv!! I know it's very different from AFL, but I wish our tv 'wise guys' would learn a thing or two from NFL (and soccer, for that matter) and stop obsessing with the close-ups and constant, almost frantic changes of perspective.

For some reason I envision this starting in the back of a chevy impala convertible on the 101 somewhere in cali...or am I just weird.

Back of a convert impala? Not unless Registered User is a dead ringer for Jennifer Love Hewitt or Heather Graham or Salma Hayek.

Ha! Yes, I guess if you put it that way, the game is balanced, because both team have same weighted pitching adantage for same amount of time. Anyway, I ain't qualified to discuss it with someone like you, coz I'm really just a closet bogan who's only watched a bits and piece of it since it came on CH1. :D I just don't get how they can go so long at times with out so much as a base hit. I reckon that's just like no run at all being scored in cricket for about half an hour.

The following will probably make your skin crawl, or at least your eyes roll, and generate a "pffft" or two: :)

This is how I'd fix baseball: bigger bats, less fielders, and no gloves, at least for the outfielders. I'd balance this with less innings'.

Don't feel obligated to respond to this ignorance :D

On NFL, I reckon it's one of the best games in the world to view on TV. It looks fantastic on a big screen tv!! I know it's very different from AFL, but I wish our tv 'wise guys' would learn a thing or two from NFL (and soccer, for that matter) and stop obsessing with the close-ups and constant, almost frantic changes of perspective.

Yes, the NFL absolutely does it right. The AFL brass, if not the taking heads, take their lead on many issues from the NFL.

As for your rejigging of the game of baseball, scratch out a letter and send it to the league office. Ya never know....they may bite. ;)

The station needs yourself and Ed back urgently Steve!!It's just descended into a 24 hr snore fest. I just returned from Sydney where they have live P/L games on their Racing station. Yet somehow the Self proclaimed sports station doesn't run with ANY other sport calls except the AFL.My new years wish is that the station stop pedalling a lie and just call themselves the Footy Entertainment network

I have always stuck up for SEN because the idea of a sports station is brilliant...and mostly I do love it..BUT.....these summer replays over and over, are showing them up as a really cheap outfit!..

That is a real worry, would like to think it was more solid than it appears to be!

I have always stuck up for SEN because the idea of a sports station is brilliant...and mostly I do love it..BUT.....these summer replays over and over, are showing them up as a really cheap outfit!..

That is a real worry, would like to think it was more solid than it appears to be!

Agree MacMum. Are they doing the KFC Big Bash? I bet not. How many more times are we going to get AFL lists,player numbers,and endless quizzes. I listened today and I kid you not Somebody on the quiz thought Sir Alex Ferguson managed that mob from Anfailed [Liverpool]:eek:

1. Its non ratings period. SEN management aren't going to rip up money on non essential programming that has no impact on their bottom line.
2. Summer is traditionally a down time in terms of listeners/watchers as people are generallly doing something else - hence the replays and 'cheap' programming.
3. Soccer on radio is a money burner. You can't squeeze in ads that generate revenue whilst the match is being broadcast like you can with AFL (after every goal for example). If you've got an idea how they can make money whilst broadcasting soccer with their current advertisers then let everybody know. Take into account the broadcasting licence costs, commentators, set up stadium costs etc etc.
4.They have been having replays during summer since its inception so I don't know why all of a sudden its a shock to the system.

Its just sound prudent financial management. If you want SEN to remain viable then you can't really complain when they take steps to ensure its future.

And I have been putting up with it since its inception!...so its not a shock to the system, der!!....but I have always defended SEN for their slack times.....not anymore!.....Other stations don't replay interviews over and over to fill in time..they have their B grade hosts, and the shows go on as usual..

Perhaps they need to downsize the pay of some of their "stars"..

Sorry, but this time of year is no excuse to slacken off quality of shows..

Some of the B grade presenters are good, just the contents are really ordinary:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. Soccer on radio is a money burner. You can't squeeze in ads that generate revenue whilst the match is being broadcast like you can with AFL (after every goal for example).

Since when do SEN have ads after a goal in the AFL?

If you've got an idea how they can make money whilst broadcasting soccer with their current advertisers then let everybody know. Take into account the broadcasting licence costs, commentators, set up stadium costs etc etc.

The same way SEN do with their footy (and have done with their soccer coverage previously) - Product A scoreboard, Product B statistics, Product C player of the week, Product D goal of the week.

Commercial radio (and TV) broadcasting soccer is hardly a revolution.

And if soccer is such a money burner, why is it still on their digital channel and online, when there would be a far bigger audience on its normal channel?

Its just sound prudent financial management. If you want SEN to remain viable then you can't really complain when they take steps to ensure its future.

You could forgive the Christmas period, but not the entire summer.

A sport station should broadcast some kind of live sport pretty much every week. Crazy concept, I know.

Live sport - yes even over summer - keeps listeners who might have enjoyed their AFL coverage, and brings new listeners in who aren't AFL fans.

Live sport costs money to produce, but also provides much better opportunities for advertisers, and is much more attractive to listeners than endless replays.

Even taking live sport out of it, there should be enough content to keep listeners tuned in over summer.

What the summer period sadly shows is the inability of many of SEN's broadcasters to talk about something besides AFL and cricket for more than 5 minutes.

Yes, they've got to do the 'prudent financial management' thing, but the whole 24/7 sports station concept is flawed if it only works during footy season, but is filler for the rest of the year.

1. Its non ratings period. SEN management aren't going to rip up money on non essential programming that has no impact on their bottom line.
2. Summer is traditionally a down time in terms of listeners/watchers as people are generallly doing something else - hence the replays and 'cheap' programming.
3. Soccer on radio is a money burner. You can't squeeze in ads that generate revenue whilst the match is being broadcast like you can with AFL (after every goal for example). If you've got an idea how they can make money whilst broadcasting soccer with their current advertisers then let everybody know. Take into account the broadcasting licence costs, commentators, set up stadium costs etc etc.
4.They have been having replays during summer since its inception so I don't know why all of a sudden its a shock to the system.

So no money to be made out of the KFC Big Bash? Fruitless exercise having a sports station that doesn't broadcast sport!! Wouldn't you attract more sponsors if you actually obtain coverage of these sports. Yes I can see sponsors line up with Lowthers ''At The Wicket'' program.:rolleyes:

And I have been putting up with it since its inception!...so its not a shock to the system, der!!....but I have always defended SEN for their slack times.....not anymore!.....Other stations don't replay interviews over and over to fill in time..they have their B grade hosts, and the shows go on as usual..

Sorry, but this time of year is no excuse to slacken off quality of shows..

Some of the B grade presenters are good, just the contents are really ordinary:thumbsdown:

I actually feel for their presenters at this time of the year. There is really bugger all to talk about. How the station can be defended is extradonairy

1. International cricket
2. Big Bash
3. Summer of tennis in Australia
4. NFL nearing the playoffs
5. NBA season
6. A-league
7. Jayco Cycling Classic
8. Soccer leagues in Europe
9. Winter Olympics in a month
10. NBL

These are things that SEN should be covering/discussing over the xmas/new year/january period. There are so many topics to talk about in that list. They should also be covering a number of these events. Why are they not covering the cycling? Same with the big bash? Why are the victory games only broadcast on the digital station? Why is there not more coverage and discussion of sports being played overseas? These are things we would all like to happen, but they wont. SEN have a limited budget, and are very strongly led by the AFL to ensure that it is the most discussed sport even at this time of the year. I hardly listen to SEN at all during this part of the year, because they do not discuss topics that should be discussed.

1. International cricket
2. Big Bash
4. A-league
5. Soccer leagues in Europe
6. NBL
7. Jayco Cycling Classic
8. Winter Olympics in a month
9. NBA season
10. NFL nearing the playoffs

My order of relevance, and in most reality the order that they would discuss these.

There's not enough time to put A-league matches to air when you're re-broadcasting NAB Cup games played last February. They were also replaying games from 2007.

SEN have the tighest scheduling in radio.

Are the Gladiators of Sport the most hopelessly out of their depth radio presenters in Australia? Community radio included. Rancid radio, but in some sort of "so bad it's funny" way.
I agree, I used to actually enjoy them but now when I listen it's more of a laugh. Apart from footy, boxing and bit of cricket (Leigh), they know very little.

They have a very poor general knowledge too, when you consider they are both mature professionals.

1. International cricket
2. Big Bash
4. NFL nearing the playoffs
5. NBA season
6. A-league
7. Jayco Cycling Classic
8. Soccer leagues in Europe
9. Winter Olympics in a month
10. NBL

These are things that SEN should be covering/discussing over the xmas/new year/january period. There are so many topics to talk about in that list. They should also be covering a number of these events. Why are they not covering the cycling? Same with the big bash? Why are the victory games only broadcast on the digital station? Why is there not more coverage and discussion of sports being played overseas? These are things we would all like to happen, but they wont. SEN have a limited budget, and are very strongly led by the AFL to ensure that it is the most discussed sport even at this time of the year. I hardly listen to SEN at all during this part of the year, because they do not discuss topics that should be discussed.

They do discuss the above - just not on weekends and overnights. But then again how would you know that if you don't listen at this time of the year.

Some of you need to realise there is absoloutly no money in weekend radio over summer. People are out and about doing things. Its exactly the same reason why television stations shut up shop at this time of year as well.

And I will repeat - there is no money in live Australian soccer on radio during the summer. I like the A League myself but the commercial reality is its a money churner - not a money earner.

I'll give you the tip - the wages aren't what you think they are.

Why do you think most of them have 2nd and 3rd jobs in the media ?

I agree with those sentiments I first found the gladiators quite funny,but it's descended to farce with all that singing and carry on from Peake.Honestly the guy gets more and more over opinioniated,and just defends His beloved Saints at every turn. Is anybody doubting he'd defend Lovett? What's with the moaning about people having differing music tastes to his godly self!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back