Radio The SEN Thread 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do discuss the above - just not on weekends and overnights. But then again how would you know that if you don't listen at this time of the year.

Some of you need to realise there is absoloutly no money in weekend radio over summer. People are out and about doing things. Its exactly the same reason why television stations shut up shop at this time of year as well.

And I will repeat - there is no money in live Australian soccer on radio during the summer. I like the A League myself but the commercial reality is its a money churner - not a money earner.

The problem is SEN shuts down in October. i've got no problem with the station not broadcasting sport during summer, but don't keep the charade going with ''Melbournes home of sport'' ads:eek:The home of sport is 774 ABC. Wouldn't it cost money to set up broadcast and facilities even on digital

The problem is SEN shuts down in October. i've got no problem with the station not broadcasting sport during summer, but don't keep the charade going with ''Melbournes home of sport'' ads:eek:The home of sport is 774 ABC. Wouldn't it cost money to set up broadcast and facilities even on digital

I don't understand your logic.

Firstly, to suggest that 774 ABC have more sport 24/7 than SEN is ridiculous.
Secondly, there is nothing wrong with a bit of self promotion. Every business tries to assert to its customers that it is the best (even if it isn't).

By the way on MG this morning they discussed the cycling, the test cricket, the Big Bash, the NBA, the A-League. overseas soccer and the NFL playoffs and that was just the hour and a 1/2 I heard this morning.

Just about every time I turned on SEN between Xmas and yesterday, all I heard was replays.

Whenever I did hear a live interview, you could be guaranteed that you would hear it replayed later in the day, and again the next day.

I can assure you that I have listened a lot more to 774 and 3AW during the last week.

Daytripper, can you please tell me which other radio stations broadcast replays during the day.

Someone mentioned that in Sydney they heard the EPL on radio. I think that Sport 927 are broadcasting EPL games now.

Also, those wanting to listen to the Big Bash, all of Victoria's games can be heard on 774 ABC and those games not involving Victoria can be heard online or digital radio.

Just about every time I turned on SEN between Xmas and yesterday, all I heard was replays.

Whenever I did hear a live interview, you could be guaranteed that you would hear it replayed later in the day, and again the next day.

This period is dead time in media land. Besides which replays are predominately played late at night or in the middle of the day when nobody is listening. They do not play replays during MG or The Run Home and to be frank thats the only audience they would particularly care about at the moment - if they cared at all.
I can assure you that I have listened a lot more to 774 and 3AW during the last week.
Good for you. Doesn't mean a thing to them financially though.
Daytripper, can you please tell me which other radio stations broadcast replays during the day.
What aboout the top FM stations repeating their best ofs constantly (not that I listen that much). These are the most commercially viable stations in the country.

How about you tell me when the replays were on. If they were on the weekend, late at night or in the middle of the day - then nobody cares.
Someone mentioned that in Sydney they heard the EPL on radio. I think that Sport 927 are broadcasting EPL games now.
Sport 927 aren't even in the ratings surveys these days. Just reiterates my point that soccer on commercial radio is a money churner.

Daytripper, I don't know whether you have any interest in SEN, but you are always very defensive of them.

There are a lot of regular SEN listeners on this forum, and they are all saying the same thing, the amount of replays are over the top. I'm sure the advertisers during this period are rapt to hear that listeners are turning off as soon as these repeats come on.

So we should be thankful that for 6 of the 24 hours they don't have replays!!!

My comments about the EPL being on Sport 927 and Big Bash on 774 were to just let people know if they were not aware. But of course you took it as a slur on SEN and again that they needed defending.

I listen to SEN from 6.00am to midnight just about every day. We are very lucky to have a 24 hour sport station in Melbourne. But the crap thrown up in the last week is a joke.

Daytripper, I don't know whether you have any interest in SEN, but you are always very defensive of them.
I have no interest in them at all. I am defensive because some of the criticism of the station is just over the top and some of the suggestions I read herewould see them out of business in two months flat
There are a lot of regular SEN listeners on this forum, and they are all saying the same thing, the amount of replays are over the top. I'm sure the advertisers during this period are rapt to hear that listeners are turning off as soon as these repeats come on.
Sure the replays can be annoying but you must understand that SEN does not operate solely for your benefit. It is a 'for profit' business whose first obligation is to its shareholders and that means it must run the station inn a financially responsible manner.
Seriously that is garbage. Not counting midnight to dawn which nobody cares about there aren't that many replays at all
I listen to SEN from 6.00am to midnight just about every day. We are very lucky to have a 24 hour sport station in Melbourne. But the crap thrown up in the last week is a joke.

People need to understand WHY this happens instead of just sitting there complaining about it. Do you really think that if there was money to be made by broadcasting live sport during summer that SEN would say no to it ?
Don't you think they have done some due diligence on the whole thing ?
They're not idiots you know.

People need to understand WHY this happens instead of just sitting there complaining about it. Do you really think that if there was money to be made by broadcasting live sport during summer that SEN would say no to it ?
Don't you think they have done some due diligence on the whole thing ?
They're not idiots you know.

There may not be a lot of money to be had in live sport during summer, but you have to take the good with the bad.

How many ice creams do you think an ice cream shop sells in winter. A very simple example I concede, but a lot of businesses loose money over the summer period.

You yourself said that the station is doing very well, that their ratings are very good. So they take a hit in their ratings for a week, but don't serve up the crap that they have served up this week.

There may not be a lot of money to be had in live sport during summer, but you have to take the good with the bad.

How many ice creams do you think an ice cream shop sells in winter. A very simple example I concede, but a lot of businesses loose money over the summer period.

Most ice cream vendors shut up shop during winter. Costs and outgoings exceed revenue. In fact, it would be a pretty stupid ice cream vendor who remained open knowingly making a loss.
You yourself said that the station is doing very well, that their ratings are very good. So they take a hit in their ratings for a week, but don't serve up the crap that they have served up this week.

I'm confused. :confused:

1. There are no ratings at this time of year.
2. If they stopped serving up crap, then why would they take a hit ? Doesn't make sense.

Daytripper you might think that SEN is saving money doing all these replays and general crap radio in summer but it just makes the station look cheap.

I have heard you say previously that once people switch the dial it is very hard to get them back - this is exactly what SEN is doing atm.

Think SEN is a bit different compared to the commerical FM stations which play their best of. They don't really discuss anything, people tune in for the songs. They only really talk about something funny/stupid that happen to them recently or celeb goss.

Sport is ongoing. It's a sport station right? Hearing the Bulldogs vs North 08 final quarter for the third time in a week instead of live EPL scores or updates is great.

Does anyone reckon it's better without the interminable sports updates (which are really sports repeats) from try-hards like Matt Thomson?

"WOOOOAAAAAHH!! Im MATT THOMPSON, and I'm gunna yell at you the exact same thing I yelled at you 20mins ago, and I'm gunna take 2-hand-a-half-minutes doing it. Then's there's gunna be a 4.5 min ad break, so you might wanna find someone else to do for the next 7 mins. Sensation! SENSATION! INTRIGUING SENSTATION!! Lleyton Hewitt will play tennis this year! "

My comments about the EPL being on Sport 927 and Big Bash on 774 were to just let people know if they were not aware. But of course you took it as a slur on SEN and again that they needed defending.

Take it from someone who works at SEN ...your banging your head against a brick wall .
A few of us have told Johnno a number of times its embarrassing to hear Matthew Hayden talking about his retirement being replayed months later.
But thats just the way it is over Summer not many people listen.. Most uf us dont even listen to our own station at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it from someone who works at SEN ...your banging your head against a brick wall .
A few of us have told Johnno a number of times its embarrassing to hear Matthew Hayden talking about his retirement being replayed months later.
But thats just the way it is over Summer not many people listen.. Most uf us dont even listen to our own station at the moment.

i'm not convinced you work at sen, if you did you'd be trying harder to cover your identity. how long do you think it is before someone from the station looked at your profile and put 2 & 2 together and gave you the lemon and sarse as well?

i'm not convinced you work at sen, if you did you'd be trying harder to cover your identity. how long do you think it is before someone from the station looked at your profile and put 2 & 2 together and gave you the lemon and sarse as well?

I don't doubt him.

What he has said on here, he has already said to his bosses face.

Yep, I reckon the 'year in review' replay stuff is Chirstmas Day only thing.
I reckon I've heard that Keith Grieg interview 5 times :p

I swear I heard that last nigh. Yes now seven times:confused:
I also swear I heard a few months back they were covering the Aussie open.
I guess not!! What a amaueterish performance from what is basically community radio now. Wait for it they had the tennis from Brisbane,and they've got the Moonee valley night races. Next week the backgamon,then they've got the trugo after that:rolleyes:

I swear I heard that last nigh. Yes now seven times:confused:
I also swear I heard a few months back they were covering the Aussie open.
I guess not!! What a amaueterish performance from what is basically community radio now. Wait for it they had the tennis from Brisbane,and they've got the Moonee valley night races. Next week the backgamon,then they've got the trugo after that:rolleyes:

Have you ever listened to tennis on the radio ?
Its shocking to listen to. Besides which you have no idea what the broadcasting rights are like. Its traditionally been on the ABC IIRC.

As for the races, with the wagering rights bring decided this year, the whole broadcast landscape is going to change as well. SEN are trying to position themselves to get the Spring and Autumn carnivals which would be a massive get, filling the gaping hole during the AFL off season.

By broadcasting the MV night races (and some Saturdays too I believe) they are trying to demonstrate to Racing Victoria that they are capable of doing a good job of showcasing their product.

Can you please get a clue about whats going on before just popping off with this incessant, nonsensical whingeing. Its not hard to read up on, you know.

Have you ever listened to tennis on the radio ?
Its shocking to listen to. Besides which you have no idea what the broadcasting rights are like. Its traditionally been on the ABC IIRC.

If it's so shocking to listen to, why have SEN been crossing for live coverage of the Brisbane tournament.

Also, why do 3AW broadcast the tennis, if it is so bad.

As for the races, with the wagering rights bring decided this year, the whole broadcast landscape is going to change as well. SEN are trying to position themselves to get the Spring and Autumn carnivals which would be a massive get, filling the gaping hole during the AFL off season.

By broadcasting the MV night races (and some Saturdays too I believe) they are trying to demonstrate to Racing Victoria that they are capable of doing a good job of showcasing their product.

Can you please get a clue about whats going on before just popping off with this incessant, nonsensical whingeing. Its not hard to read up on, you know.

If people want to listen to the races, they will listen to the racing radio station, Sport 927.

If it's so shocking to listen to, why have SEN been crossing for live coverage of the Brisbane tournament.

Also, why do 3AW broadcast the tennis, if it is so bad.
They cross every now and then - its not live full time. 3AW do not broadcast the Australian Open for all 12 hours of play every day for 2 weeks. When exactly do they broadcast live matches anyway ?

And it is terrible to listen to. Are you seriously telling me that listening to tennis on the radio is good radio ?
FFS.
If people want to listen to the races, they will listen to the racing radio station, Sport 927.
Did you even read my post about the wagering rights and its implications for the broadcasting rights ?

ABC and 3AW have both covered full matches of tennis before. It is fantastic that SEN will be broadcasting live matches this summer. They will only be getting the live AO Radio feed, which is basically the international broadcast of the tennis started by the Australian Open.
As for Horse racing, I cannot stand it and I understand what SEN are doing by covering MV races. If SEN manage to get the spring racing carnival because of it, then good on them and it would be good for the station. However, I wont be listening to any of their horse racing coverage, whether it be MV or the spring racing carnival.

ABC and 3AW have both covered full matches of tennis before. It is fantastic that SEN will be broadcasting live matches this summer. They will only be getting the live AO Radio feed, which is basically the international broadcast of the tennis started by the Australian Open.

I cannot stand tennis on the radio. Its a pure visual sport IMO as the action moves too rapidly for the commentator to present a picture of it for the listener but each to their own I guess.:D

They cross every now and then - its not live full time. 3AW do not broadcast the Australian Open for all 12 hours of play every day for 2 weeks. When exactly do they broadcast live matches anyway ?

I didn't say they covered it full time. I said they covered it by crossing for live commentary.

No, 3AW do not cover it for 12 hours, neither do the ABC. 3AW do live commentary for some night games and the finals. The fact that the highest rating radio station covers the tennis must say something. I mean you keep telling us that ratings and finances are all that radio stations are about.

And it is terrible to listen to. Are you seriously telling me that listening to tennis on the radio is good radio ?
FFS.

Better than listening to the same interview being repeated 7 times over.

Did you even read my post about the wagering rights and its implications for the broadcasting rights ?

Yes I did. I know that things are going to change. But rest assured that people that have been punting and listening to the races on the radio for decades are not going to stop listening to that station. No matter what changes there are in wagering rights, there will always be a full time racing radio station.

I didn't say they covered it full time. I said they covered it by crossing for live commentary.

No, 3AW do not cover it for 12 hours, neither do the ABC. 3AW do live commentary for some night games and the finals. The fact that the highest rating radio station covers the tennis must say something. I mean you keep telling us that ratings and finances are all that radio stations are about.
I don't know how many times I have to keep telling you this but ITS NON RATINGS PERIOD DURING THE SUMMER....... 3AW certainly would not be covering the tennis during a ratings period. And wow they cover the finals do they - woopdy doo. Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoons/evenings are hardly a peak listening period for radio.

Also the fact that 3AW cover it should tell you something about the broadcasting rights. You just can't waltz into a sports event and start broadcasting it because you have a radio licence. Did you ever think that SEN don't have the rights or it was too expensive for them ?
Maybe 3AW and ABC took out a 10 year agreement pre SEN. Who knows ?

Better than listening to the same interview being repeated 7 times over.
Which interview has been replayed 7 times and when was it replayed ?

Yes I did. I know that things are going to change. But rest assured that people that have been punting and listening to the races on the radio for decades are not going to stop listening to that station. No matter what changes there are in wagering rights, there will always be a full time racing radio station.

Pardon the pun but I wouldn't bet on it. For all we know there may not be a TAB as we know it in two years time.

Sport927 is haemmoraging money at the moment and is only being kept afloat by Tabcorp. If Tabcorp lose the rights or have their existing agreement weakened there is a slim likelihood that they will continue to pump money into a radio station that they get no benefit from.

In ten years time, ther may not even be a need for racing radio station. With the advent of digital radio and the increased technology in mobile phones I can envisage a time when everyone watches the races via their phone via a payment to their providor who then on pay the racing industry.

Also the fact that 3AW cover it should tell you something about the broadcasting rights. You just can't waltz into a sports event and start broadcasting it because you have a radio licence. Did you ever think that SEN don't have the rights or it was too expensive for them ?

One minute your telling us that SEN don't do the tennis because no one (you) likes listening to it. Now that it has been shown to you that other stations do in fact broadcast the tennis, you say that SEN don't because they don't have the rights or it's too expensive.

If no one likes listening to it, why would 3AW put a 10 year contract in place, or pay a high price for it.

Which interview has been replayed 7 times and when was it replayed ?

Keith Greig - whenever someone on this thread turns the station on

In ten years time, ther may not even be a need for racing radio station. With the advent of digital radio.

And which radio station is going to broadcast on that Digital Radio.

One minute your telling us that SEN don't do the tennis because no one (you) likes listening to it. Now that it has been shown to you that other stations do in fact broadcast the tennis, you say that SEN don't because they don't have the rights or it's too expensive.
FFS, AW and 774 play tennis on an hoc basis during the non ratings summer period. Its harldy comprehensive. It's just filler for them until the ratings period starts again.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if AW are broadcasting then there must be rights involved.
If no one likes listening to it, why would 3AW put a 10 year contract in place, or pay a high price for it.
Who knows if they did or have ?
I was just speculating.
Keith Greig - whenever someone on this thread turns the station on
Never heard that interview but then again I only listen during the day (when mostly everybody else listens as well). Nobody, in terms of numbers listens to SEN at night (or any radio station for that matter). I'm sure if you gave most licencees the option they would prefer to broadcast static from 11pm to 5am.
And which radio station is going to broadcast on that Digital Radio.
I don't know. The point is the whole telecommunication and wagering landscape is most probably going to be vastly different in ten years time.

SEN are gunning for the Spring and Autumn carnivals in the short term which would be terrific for them. However to do so they must show Racing Victoria that they are capable hence they are dipping their toes into the water with the MV Friday night racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back