The Spida Saga: Chris Tarrant enters the fracas

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/tarrant-trade-puts-spida-move-on-hold/2006/10/05/1159641463609.html

Tarrant trade puts Spida move on hold

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
Richard Hinds
October 6, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page
Advertisement

Advertisement

SYDNEY'S bid to recruit Hawthorn ruckman Peter Everitt is likely to be put on hold until the official trading period next week as they monitor the availability of Collingwood forward Chris Tarrant.

Having gained the blessing of their leadership group, Swans officials have held informal discussions to determine what the Hawks will demand in exchange for the 32-year-old ruckman.

However, with Tarrant signalling his willingness to leave Collingwood to go to one of a handful of clubs including Sydney, the Swans do not want to make any trade moves that could compromise their ability to recruit the talented Magpies forward.

It is believed Tarrant's first wish is to be traded to West Coast, who are eager to bolster their attack in the hope of creating a premiership-winning dynasty. However, with a year of his contract to run, he has also indicated he would be willing to play for the Swans or some Victorian clubs, including Geelong.

Despite a disappointing end to the season that included his heavily publicised involvement in a fight outside a nightclub, interest in the 26-year-old Tarrant has steadily grown since it became apparent the Magpies might be willing to trade him.

Fremantle yesterday said they would make a bid for the 2001 All-Australian - although only if they could clear out-of-contract defender Graham Polak - and the Western Bulldogs are now also showing some interest in Tarrant after initially ruling themselves out.

The Bulldogs' interest might depend on whether they continue their bid for Jason Akermanis. Having vigorously pursued the talented veteran, there are suggestions Akermanis's outspoken behaviour has concerned senior members of the Bulldogs list - particularly an outburst on The Footy Show last week in which he mounted another withering attack on the Lions hierarchy.

While the Swans already boast a potent attack, Tarrant is seen as a natural replacement for veteran forward Michael O'Loughlin. Tarrant is also considered a better trade option than Everitt, who would probably play for only two more seasons.

However, Tarrant could come at a high price, with the Magpies likely to demand at least a first round draft pick. Swans coach Paul Roos has already indicated he would like to keep both his first and second round picks this year to add more quality youth to his team.

If the Swans do trade for Tarrant, there is a chance they could also get Everitt through the pre-season draft. However, that would be dependent on their ability to fit both players into their salary cap.

Hawthorn have already made it clear they will not accept the Swans' initial offer of a third round draft pick for Everitt. They are believed to want a first round pick or a combination of draft pick exchanges or players.

:eek:

Thanks alot Chris. Talk about ruining what looked to be a good old fashioned hoedown between Hawthorn and Sydney on the drafting table. :thumbsdown:

Let's hope that West Coast are able to snab Tarrant. ;)

It all depends on the wants of the likes of the Swans. Cant see Tazz doing much for either Sydney or the Doggies, for that matter anyone else. He has ability but I'm never impressed by his up-himself body language and some pretty luke warm performances of late for the Pies. No wonder they are looking at trading him. Don't let him come out Waverley way.

It sounds like a game to me. Sydney is trying to talk Hawthorn's price down. Let me see: Does Sydney need a power forward or a ruckman?

Mr.Likeable said:
It sounds like a game to me. Sydney is trying to talk Hawthorn's price down. Let me see: Does Sydney need a power forward or a ruckman?

Yes it is like a game of poker, to see who comes out with the best deal. Rest easy though pechlen is a great poker player and has a great poker face. He has already called fellow players bluff by refusing the swan un-offical offer of a lone second round pick.

Rest easy, pechlen will do what is right for the hawks. If we don't get a fair deal, then spiders of too carlton in the psd!

Don't worry, Roos is hell bent on getting Spida across. Their leadership group have endorsed it - they know where the club's deficiency lies and it isn't across half forward. We'll do well out of this.

Is Roos trying to become the next sheedy ? He speaks with forked tongue.

"I'll only coach as long as my senior players are at sydney"

"I'll get the endorsement of the senior players before I have a scratch"

Isn't Micky O one of the senior players ? - looks like Roos' loyalty is conditional - talking about replacing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Spida Saga: Chris Tarrant enters the fracas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back