Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't and won't do it because then it opens doors for clubs like Port try to claim their 5,000 SANFL flags
Possibly!

VFA essentially became VFL/AFL though, right? All 5 of our VFA Premierships were won against current day clubs, too. Some of the clubs that didn't initially join the VFL did so later on.

Port Adelaide competed and won all their premierships in separate AFL competition against different teams in Adelaide.

I'd say we have a strong argument to have ours included as part of the AFL tally, but not sure how Port could.

Might be a discussion for a different thread?

Includes a beaut description by Nash of a stratospheric mark. Nice to see Nash waxing eloquent about someone other than himself for a change!

Well before me but 23 was the first number i had Ron Clegg.
That race never changed. I reckon that's late 40's or early 50's
The men in hats give it away... I reckon you pretty spot on, but I'd go for early 50s; not enough hats for the 40s...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great Video and Happy Birthday to this great club that links us all. Lot of different personalities on this board (like any collective of footy fans) but we are united by one thing, our love for the red and white. Which in itself is the great power of a sporting club, can put aside our difference and unite behind something great.

This club means so much to me, yeah had some great life moments and family stuff, but the moments this club has given me through my life have been enormous.

I feel privileged to have picked this side as a 3 year old in the 80s and it's almost a badge of honour to have seen some dark days and learn about the somewhat underachieving but proud history of the club. It was kind of cool to be playing kick to kick or even play competitive footy in grade 4 or 5 and everyone wanted to be Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett and I was like can I have number 8 for Minton -Connell. We won wooden spoons, we sucked , but it was my team. I thought finals were things other teams played in, but you still dream of it and wear the colours (when you could find them)

I remember meeting Stevie Wright when he played in Tassie and him answering all my swans questions and David Rhys Jones came to our school, I am pretty sure he was impressed I knew he played for the Swans and not just Carlton.

Then we got Lockett and really since then have been spoiled in a way. So it makes the good times great, when you have seen the team suck completely. Not that you have to have been through both of course. But since Lockett, Kelly, Cresswell, it's felt like we are always a decent side. I have gone through the days they were these big heroes to now being older than the guys playing 😂.

I will never forget things like 96 thinking well we will lose eventually, we almost went all the way. I watched the replay so many times, just to see the red and white in a grand final.

Then 2005 , semi final v Geelong, We were ****ed , no way we win that, robbed the week before and another exit then honestly wtf happened. Nick Davis , What a night, I actually went the next week. Rare for me to be there , but I was behind the goals for a preliminary final, that was farkn amazing and then I remember the rush of Goals and Okeefe kicking one through thinking surely we got this. Ended up hugging random people and celebrating. The week after was surreal. My Guts were just churning that whole game, It was so tense and then we actually ****en won. Still don't think I heard the siren.

That Mark and If you see Roosy say "here it is!!!" wow the blood still rushes for me . That was a tough side, then I was actually there in 2012, again amazing , still can't believe it. Malceski kicks that goal the players carry on, yeah we have it, we beat Hawthorn the team that always ****en beat us. Amazing, again hugging randoms , chatting , celebrating.

Yeah we lost a few grannies , yuck, but what I love about this club is what it has become.
It's a fighting club, that punches on. We don't win every week, but we don't give up, it is so rare they don't at least fight back. Sometimes they frustrate me, the lows ruin my mood, the highs are exhilarating. I just love it, love the colours, the logo , the team.

heck we have had some great players, Kelly, Goodes, Jpk, Buddy, Heeney, Warner, Gulden, But even the randoms you remember like thinking the Warner Hutton Minton Connell combo will win a flag.

I love remembering random times and games, things like Ronke kicking seven or the 10 last quarter v the dees in 2003, or Cappers marks just random stuff.

So much joy, happiness and pride and this club means a lot to all of us.

Sorry about the random shit just reflecting without any real structure.

I think the best is yet to come for Sydney, go Swans and Happy Birthday.

Great Video and Happy Birthday to this great club that links us all. Lot of different personalities on this board (like any collective of footy fans) but we are united by one thing, our love for the red and white. Which in itself is the great power of a sporting club, can put aside our difference and unite behind something great.

This club means so much to me, yeah had some great life moments and family stuff, but the moments this club has given me through my life have been enormous.

I feel privileged to have picked this side as a 3 year old in the 80s and it's almost a badge of honour to have seen some dark days and learn about the somewhat underachieving but proud history of the club. It was kind of cool to be playing kick to kick or even play competitive footy in grade 4 or 5 and everyone wanted to be Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett and I was like can I have number 8 for Minton -Connell. We won wooden spoons, we sucked , but it was my team. I thought finals were things other teams played in, but you still dream of it and wear the colours (when you could find them)

I remember meeting Stevie Wright when he played in Tassie and him answering all my swans questions and David Rhys Jones came to our school, I am pretty sure he was impressed I knew he played for the Swans and not just Carlton.

Then we got Lockett and really since then have been spoiled in a way. So it makes the good times great, when you have seen the team suck completely. Not that you have to have been through both of course. But since Lockett, Kelly, Cresswell, it's felt like we are always a decent side. I have gone through the days they were these big heroes to now being older than the guys playing 😂.

I will never forget things like 96 thinking well we will lose eventually, we almost went all the way. I watched the replay so many times, just to see the red and white in a grand final.

Then 2005 , semi final v Geelong, We were ****ed , no way we win that, robbed the week before and another exit then honestly wtf happened. Nick Davis , What a night, I actually went the next week. Rare for me to be there , but I was behind the goals for a preliminary final, that was farkn amazing and then I remember the rush of Goals and Okeefe kicking one through thinking surely we got this. Ended up hugging random people and celebrating. The week after was surreal. My Guts were just churning that whole game, It was so tense and then we actually ****en won. Still don't think I heard the siren.

That Mark and If you see Roosy say "here it is!!!" wow the blood still rushes for me . That was a tough side, then I was actually there in 2012, again amazing , still can't believe it. Malceski kicks that goal the players carry on, yeah we have it, we beat Hawthorn the team that always ****en beat us. Amazing, again hugging randoms , chatting , celebrating.

Yeah we lost a few grannies , yuck, but what I love about this club is what it has become.
It's a fighting club, that punches on. We don't win every week, but we don't give up, it is so rare they don't at least fight back. Sometimes they frustrate me, the lows ruin my mood, the highs are exhilarating. I just love it, love the colours, the logo , the team.

heck we have had some great players, Kelly, Goodes, Jpk, Buddy, Heeney, Warner, Gulden, But even the randoms you remember like thinking the Warner Hutton Minton Connell combo will win a flag.

I love remembering random times and games, things like Ronke kicking seven or the 10 last quarter v the dees in 2003, or Cappers marks just random stuff.

So much joy, happiness and pride and this club means a lot to all of us.

Sorry about the random shit just reflecting without any real structure.

I think the best is yet to come for Sydney, go Swans and Happy Birthday.

Stellar post Mr The King! The day outside may be as cold as charity but our Club and that post warmed the cockles of my tiny black heart.

Stellar post Mr The King! The day outside may be as cold as charity but our Club and that post warmed the cockles of my tiny black heart.
GUH - do you remember the cockatoo that was in a cage outside the Cricket Club bar at the foot of the old grandstand behind the goals? I was fascinated by its colourful language when I was a boy. When kids and women were around, an attendant would cover the cage with a sheet and it would go silent. Also would screech 'Up there Cazaly!'. Must have been around for a fair chunk of the 150 years. Grandstand structure still there. Used by Athletics Victoria i think.

GUH - do you remember the cockatoo that was in a cage outside the Cricket Club bar at the foot of the old grandstand behind the goals? I was fascinated by its colourful language when I was a boy. When kids and women were around, an attendant would cover the cage with a sheet and it would go silent. Also would screech 'Up there Cazaly!'. Must have been around for a fair chunk of the 150 years. Grandstand structure still there. Used by Athletics Victoria i think.
Well, in my younger days, <cough, splutter, kicks ground, where are my hearing aids?> early 1950's, I remember the cage being outside the bowling club door.
My family (parents, uncles, cousins) gathered on the bitumen opposite the bowling club house, standing room!, about half-forward line, closer to the grandstand than the scoreboard end.
Ladies and kids went in at half-time to bowling club, for the mothers to get a cup of tea with biscuits, who then tried to evenly distribute said biscuits to the kids.
The men, my father and uncles, wandered into the Cricket Club bar.

#GoBloods

Well, in my younger days, <cough, splutter, kicks ground, where are my hearing aids?> early 1950's, I remember the cage being outside the bowling club door.
My family (parents, uncles, cousins) gathered on the bitumen opposite the bowling club house, standing room!, about half-forward line, closer to the grandstand than the scoreboard end.
Ladies and kids went in at half-time to bowling club, for the mothers to get a cup of tea with biscuits, who then tried to evenly distribute said biscuits to the kids.

#GoBloods
Spent a fair bit of time in the cricket club bar lol . The cocky would repeat get F'd kids loved it

#GoBloods
The cocky was at the side of the cricket club near the big gate that slid open for stock to come in eg barrels of beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back