Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, in my younger days, <cough, splutter, kicks ground, where are my hearing aids?> early 1950's, I remember the cage being outside the bowling club door.
My family (parents, uncles, cousins) gathered on the bitumen opposite the bowling club house, standing room!, about half-forward line, closer to the grandstand than the scoreboard end.
Ladies and kids went in at half-time to bowling club, for the mothers to get a cup of tea with biscuits, who then tried to evenly distribute said biscuits to the kids.
The men, my father and uncles, wandered into the Cricket Club bar.

#GoBloods
Thanks for that 1950s perspective! The period I am referring to is the mid 1960s when my older brother played in the Under 19s. They played at home at the same time as the seniors when they played away. They must have moved the cage away from the bowling club. It was around the side near a small entrance. To get it to swear(and there were many f bombs}, the blokes used to pretend they were about to pour some beer on its head and it would then let fly. Compulsory viewing for a 10 yo whose parents hardly swore at all. The f word was taboo in lots of places then. Remember the bowling green well. Also used to climb up into the small pressbox/scoreboard on the hfflank and watch. Couldn't do it when the ones were playing.

Thanks for that 1950s perspective! The period I am referring to is the mid 1960s when my older brother played in the Under 19s. They played at home at the same time as the seniors when they played away. They must have moved the cage away from the bowling club. It was around the side near a small entrance. To get it to swear(and there were many f bombs}, the blokes used to pretend they were about to pour some beer on its head and it would then let fly. Compulsory viewing for a 10 yo whose parents hardly swore at all. The f word was taboo in lots of places then. Remember the bowling green well. Also used to climb up into the small pressbox/scoreboard on the hfflank and watch. Couldn't do it when the ones were playing.
That scoreboard had 2 sides . Some cheer squad members used to sleep over in the umps rooms under it on Friday nights , some interesting tales from those nights.
I always remember the cage where i said .
Also there was a donut van that used to come in that gate.
We were absolute shit , but i wouldn't swap those days for anything . All you would hear in the CC bar was "we will win the flag next year "

PS. Tom Papley's grandfather, Max, used to work the scoreboard, as ayoung lad
lake-oval-press-box-scoreboard.jpg

That scoreboard had 2 sides . Some cheer squad members used to sleep over in the umps rooms under it on Friday nights , some interesting tales from those nights.
I always remember the cage where i said .
Also there was a donut van that used to come in that gate.
We were absolute shit , but i wouldn't swap those days for anything . All you would hear in the CC bar was "we will win the flag next year "
Donot van was synonymous with the ground. There was a lot of suffering and bitterness, relieved only by 2005 and 2012. Because of our many losses in that time, I still carry some mental scar tissue. Also means I appreciate our current long term success a lot more than some and get over losses pretty quickly. Those days were character building and memorable.

Donot van was synonymous with the ground. There was a lot of suffering and bitterness, relieved only by 2005 and 2012. Because of our many losses in that time, I still carry some mental scar tissue. Also means I appreciate our current long term success a lot more than some and get over losses pretty quickly. Those days were character building and memorable.
Probably know one another

Great get SP . I thought you were from Sydney .
Melbourne girl born and bred, 4th generation South Melbourne supporter.
Retired NSW south coast 33 years ago.

Dad was from Middle Park but I grew up near my nana in East Kew. My aunt, who never married, lived in the Middle Park family home. We used that address to register my brother. Spent a lot of time in the area on Saturdays in winter. My brother went to school with your namesake.
Loving this , Brian McGowan would've been number 1 rover at just about all other clubs but had the Chimp in front of him . My mom taking a daily Double would take 3 in the 1st leg and 14 in the 2nd , she got a few good payouts

PS. Tom Papley's grandfather, Max, used to work the scoreboard, as ayoung lad
lake-oval-press-box-scoreboard.jpg
Sunday morning the 19s had to run 20 laps the day after a game , our coach was Froggy Crompton , famous for winning the 64 flag for the Demons . We used to take it in turns hiding in there for a few laps .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunday morning the 19s had to run 20 laps the day after a game , our coach was Froggy Crompton , famous for winning the 64 flag for the Demons . We used to take it in turns hiding in there for a few laps .
Also there was a Sunday sip on the balcony of the social club and the supporters used to give plenty of advice

Loving this , Brian McGowan would've been number 1 rover at just about all other clubs but had the Chimp in front of him . My mom taking a daily Double would take 3 in the 1st leg and 14 in the 2nd , she got a few good payouts
Classic! Dad knew Alan Miller who coached the Under 19s and then the ones for one year. Pretty sure Brian had a younger brother jimmy who played in the Under 19s. Pint sized like his older brother.

Some great reads in this thread.

IF we get to that final week in September, I'm organising a BBQ at Albert Park and will get the club to see if they can get access onto Lakeside oval for us. Would be cool, although I know nothing like it used to be. Small bit of nostalgia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back