The Summer transfer rumor thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His club wanted about 5 million pounds. We wanted to pay about 2-3. No deal agreed so he was sent on his way. I was happy for him to say for the 2-3 mill but for 5 mill. No ****ing way.

Fair enough. 5 mill would have been overboard for a near 30 guy, for West Ham anyway.

We have gone on a bit of a sacking spree last night. Bigger names that got the ass are Lee Bowyer, Diego Tristan, David Di Michele, Radolsav Kovac and Lucas Neill after he rejected a 1 year deal.

IMO that is ridiculous. Of course Neill isnt gonna sign a 1 year deal. Screams of the club being tight arses whilst not wanting to admit it. Give him 2 years ya gits. At this stage we only have 2 strikers on the books considering Freddie Sears has all but agreed a season long loan to a CCC club next year. We need a right back obviously and 2 strikers minimum at this rate. Another winger would be nice but im not holding me breathe

West Ham is the only valuable asset owned by Gudmundsson, who lost pretty much all his money in the GFC. There's apparently no real pressure on the club to shed players but they've made the reasonable decision (under the circumstances) to try and offload some of their older players who're on big money, or at least renegotiate their contracts onto something more reasonable.

Neill was on about 80,000 a week wasnt he? That's a massive contract for a player of his ability (who doesnt play for Manchester City). Theres no way a club like West Ham can guarantee that kind of wage over time, Neill rejected a lesser contract at Liverpool to go for the big dollars at West Ham. I'm not suprised he's skipped off again rather than take the (likely) significantly reduced wage West Ham would have offered him, guys a total mercenary.

To be fair, in the same statement the club announced the departure of those players you mentioned it clearly stated that it was pursuing a number of replacement players.

West Ham is the only valuable asset owned by Gudmundsson, who lost pretty much all his money in the GFC. There's apparently no real pressure on the club to shed players but they've made the reasonable decision (under the circumstances) to try and offload some of their older players who're on big money, or at least renegotiate their contracts onto something more reasonable.

Neill was on about 80,000 a week wasnt he? That's a massive contract for a player of his ability (who doesnt play for Manchester City). Theres no way a club like West Ham can guarantee that kind of wage over time, Neill rejected a lesser contract at Liverpool to go for the big dollars at West Ham. I'm not suprised he's skipped off again rather than take the (likely) significantly reduced wage West Ham would have offered him, guys a total mercenary.

To be fair, in the same statement the club announced the departure of those players you mentioned it clearly stated that it was pursuing a number of replacement players.

That was rubbish. Neill was on 80k a week for the first six months because he got sign on bonus or some crap. The terms offered according to the club are only slightly less than what he was on before and this contract is around 40k a week. Despite Neill being a bit of a mercenary he will get alot of love from the Hammers fans. Was vital in keeping us up when he did. Must of had 5-6 assists in the run home that year.

Ill believe the replacements when I see it. Technically we should have about 10-15 mill to spend but with Duxbury in charge its hard to know who to believe. At this stage the most likely signing we are gonna mak is Mario Balotelli on loan from Inter with a view to permanent deal later on. We nearly got it done in January but Inter didnt want to budge. A decent deal if it goes through IMO.

Ill be happy with 3 signings, a free transfer, and one loan player this window. A right back, 2 strikers and a defensive midfielder and a cheapo left back as cover and to give Ilunga some rest during nothing games like the Carling Cup. Really with Ashton, Gabbidon, Dyer coming back its like 3 new signings already

A yer to be discussed transfer is Christian Benetiz to Birmingham for a club record 6.8 mill. I think someone at Birmingham compared him to Leo Messi. Talk about putting the pressure on. Looked up a few highlights there and he was quite decent. Pacey for the strength he seems to have

That was rubbish. Neill was on 80k a week for the first six months because he got sign on bonus or some crap. The terms offered according to the club are only slightly less than what he was on before and this contract is around 40k a week. Despite Neill being a bit of a mercenary he will get alot of love from the Hammers fans. Was vital in keeping us up when he did. Must of had 5-6 assists in the run home that year.

Source for this? I'm sorry, i just find it hard to believe that even though every other player that gets transferred gets a sign on bonus you never hear about it folded into this weekly wage like this. If that was the case someone like Barry would be earning something like 150,000 for the first 6 months of his contract and then it would revert down to 100,000.

And somehow this is the case with Neill? and noone else?

Dude was on 80K, if he wasnt then it would have been refuted years ago and never mentioned again. As is the case he's still reffered to as lucas neill who rejected Liverpool to go to make heaps of money at West Ham.

Source for this? I'm sorry, i just find it hard to believe that even though every other player that gets transferred gets a sign on bonus you never hear about it folded into this weekly wage like this. If that was the case someone like Barry would be earning something like 150,000 for the first 6 months of his contract and then it would revert down to 100,000.

And somehow this is the case with Neill? and noone else?

Dude was on 80K, if he wasnt then it would have been refuted years ago and never mentioned again. As is the case he's still reffered to as lucas neill who rejected Liverpool to go to make heaps of money at West Ham.

The man himself has rejected the 80k per week contract claims time and time again. I think you forget the Daily Mails passionate hate for West Ham meant this rumor was turned into fact somehow in the fold. I can 100% guarntee he wasnt on 80k a week. It was around 50k in the end

Impossible to find the relevant articles with all the Lucas Neill set to leave West Ham articles in the way but hes stated on our site even that his massive wages arnt true

Embers:

He's on a lot (far too much for a footballer of his ability), everywhere that I've read has said at least £70k so unless you can give me a reasonable source that says otherwise then I refuse to believe it.

Embers:

He's on a lot (far too much for a footballer of his ability), everywhere that I've read has said at least £70k so unless you can give me a reasonable source that says otherwise then I refuse to believe it.

Are you blind. I said we offered him 40k a week THIS TIME which is a slight downgrade of his original contract that was around 50k. Money isnt the problem here. Neill wants a 2 year deal and we only offered him 1.

Personally if Lucas Neill says its not true then ill trust him over some anomynous Daily Mail journo...

Where did Lucas Neill say it wasn't true then?

I re-read your post (hence why I edited it), but 'z0mg Lucas Neill said it wasn't so it's not even though there's no source of this at all'.

That's pretty much exactly what you're saying, so show us some proof or **** off.

Lucas Neill is a hack.

BTW, are Liverpool gonna sign Lavezzi or are they just gonna tap up and unsettle players again? Disgraceful form once again from Rafa. No class whatsoever when handling transfer deals. Many a club can be witness to that

Where did Lucas Neill say it wasn't true then?

I re-read your post (hence why I edited it), but 'z0mg Lucas Neill said it wasn't so it's not even though there's no source of this at all'.

That's pretty much exactly what you're saying, so show us some proof or **** off.

Hes blogged about it on our official site. Davey_magik and other Hammers fans will tell you that too. Ive typed Lucas Neill name with everything to do with his wages in Google and all I get is Neill is leaving articles. Posting 12 month old articles isnt a easy thing to do. Ill give it another try. For example, find me a article about FAs payout in regards to Owen. Would be tough i imagine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do recall articles about Neills wage going down in this year of his contract. Can't quite recall the details, but he definitely wasn't on 80K per week in 08/09.

I do recall articles about Neills wage going down in this year of his contract. Can't quite recall the details, but he definitely wasn't on 80K per week in 08/09.

Im gonna have to go get a hard copy of Lucas Neills signed contract and mail it out to each of just so they dont buy into the Daily Mails lies

Re: The Summer transfer rumour thread

Oh, and Embers.. FYI I just found about 15 different articles about the compensation for Owen's injury.

Yeh its damn easy really to find. Now try and find any article at all mentioning Neills wages for me. Even the Daily Mail ones. Ive went through 11 pages of Neill is leaving West Ham.

I wont dispute the fact Neills first 6 months were on 80k a week but once we were safe his wages went down to 50k which is still too much but not as much as you all seem to think.

BTW, are Liverpool gonna sign Lavezzi or are they just gonna tap up and unsettle players again? Disgraceful form once again from Rafa. No class whatsoever when handling transfer deals. Many a club can be witness to that

Haha.

Even for you that's an astonishing statement. If you don't think clubs talk to players and their agents before making bids, you're a complete pillock.

No idea how we're going to sign Lavezzi. We're flat broke remember?

Yeh its damn easy really to find. Now try and find any article at all mentioning Neills wages for me. Even the Daily Mail ones. Ive went through 11 pages of Neill is leaving West Ham.

I wont dispute the fact Neills first 6 months were on 80k a week but once we were safe his wages went down to 50k which is still too much but not as much as you all seem to think.

Very strange contract then.

And it really wasn't hard:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jun/14/newsstory.sport

It will be dismissed as anecdotal but within English football, and specifically among agents, the following story is circulating and generating huge excitement. A player from a third-tier club who moved recently to a Championship club - one not so long ago in the Premiership - has seen his basic £1,500-a-week salary increase not five times, nor 10, but 15 times. The player's agent did not demand this sum; it was the club's opening gambit.
The belief that wages in football are soaring uncontrollably is understandable. In April a Professional Footballers' Association survey found that the average annual salary of a Premiership player is now £676,000 - £13,000 a week - a rise of 65% on 2000. The accountancy firm Deloitte puts the figure much higher.
It is repeated continually that agents are driving this inflation, and numerous chairmen and directors will support that theory. What is acknowledged less often by these chairmen is that clubs have long contributed to the situation.
Behind the scenes now, however, some Premiership chief executives are very anxious about wage escalation. "There's a little bit of fear out there at the moment," Nicky Hammond, Reading's director of football, said yesterday. "Everyone seems to be keeping their powder dry. The numbers being talked about this season are well in excess of last year in terms of both wages and transfers."
Although no one has gone public - yet - the club many are pointing the finger at is West Ham United. Their chairman, Eggert Magnusson, is now being branded "Father Christmas" by some rivals and, perhaps more worryingly, "Ridsdale" by others. "There's no doubt in my mind that West Ham has had an effect," says a senior figure at another Premiership club.
Annoyance stems from an open-wallet approach to the market, demonstrated on January 22 when Blackburn's Lucas Neill walked into Upton Park on a free transfer. Sources close to the deal have confirmed that Neill, by no means a star player, earns £72,000 a week in east London. He had the option to go to Liverpool but his wage there would have been "a fraction" of what he gets at West Ham.
Within boardrooms the Neill deal is being regarded as a landmark transfer. When asked on Tuesday about the Australian, the Middlesbrough chairman, Steve Gibson, said: "I don't know the details of Lucas Neill other than what I read. What I can comment on are the demands we have suffered from in the last three or four weeks. That would suggest agents are trying to push the barriers again. But that's the business and I am a businessman. But I have seen some of the deals that have gone through in recent weeks and I'm glad we haven't been involved in them."
Gibson is in a slightly tricky position. Middlesbrough, because of fashion and location, have had to pay sometimes exorbitant wages and Tuncay Sanli, whose signing was confirmed yesterday, is believed to be on £60,000 a week after his free transfer from Fenerbahce. One Istanbul sports daily printed pictures of his head on £20 notes to illustrate one reason why he is moving to Teesside. But he may be Middlesbrough's big glamour signing, whereas at West Ham and elsewhere the water-carriers are also being lavishly rewarded. One agent recounted a tale of another West Ham player - who is less regarded generally than Neill - having his wages trebled a few weeks ago.
Harry Redknapp knows the market better than most and the Portsmouth manager - formerly at West Ham - lamented: "Craig Bellamy would do for us. But West Ham want him and would double his wages to £100,000 a week. How do you compete with that? We've got no chance of getting Bellamy. We're all looking for strikers but the market's gone crazy."
A new television deal is one explanation of the sharp rise in wages but new owners are also a factor. The Icelandic owners' fortune underwrites West Ham but even so the comparison is being made with Peter Ridsdale's Leeds.
It was only this January that Ken Bates revealed that Gary Kelly's weekly wage at Leeds since 2001 has been £46,000 a week. "Twelve million pounds over five years," said the chairman. "I worked out that all the money that Leeds earned getting to the semi-finals of the Champions League was handed to Kelly with his new contract." Five years on, Leeds are in the third division. By 2012 they may still not have recovered. But Gary Kelly will still be a multimillionaire. As will Lucas Neill.

Wow, another one!

t3.dll
t3.dll
Sport

HEADLINES:Milan chief: Chelsea won't sign duo..... Neill quits Hammers..... Bruce turns back the clock..... Magpies set for takeover..... England fan 'shot over chanting'..... O'Driscoll wants more of the same..... Wright puts down marker..... Peacock eyes third World Cup..... Haye bout in July a possibility - Boente..... Murray conqueror predicts bright future.....

Milan chief: Chelsea won't sign duo..... Neill quits Hammers..... Bruce turns back the clock..... Magpies set for takeover..... England fan 'shot over chanting'..... O'Driscoll wants more of the same..... Wright puts down marker..... Peacock eyes third World Cup..... Haye bout in July a possibility - Boente..... Murray conqueror predicts bright future.....
lucas-neill-415x275.jpg
On the move: Lucas Neill signed for West Ham from Blackburn in 2007

Lucas Neill turns down pay cut

Ken Dyer

Everton and Aston Villa could be interested in signing West Ham captain Lucas Neill after he rejected a new contract, which would have seen his wages drop by more than £15,000 a week, writes Ken Dyer.
The Australian international, whose contract has run out, wanted a oneyear deal to take him up to the World Cup but has turned down the offer understood to be worth up to £48,000 a week depending on appearances.
Neill was reputed to be earning £65,000 per week after signing for West Ham from Blackburn in 2007 and the 31-year-old defender will now consider other options.
West Ham are keen to keep Neill and will keep the new contract offer on the table.
Departures from Upton Park include Lee Bowyer, who is expected to sign a permanent deal with Birmingham after going on loan there last season plus full-back Walter Lopez and midfield player Kyel Reid.
Italian striker David Di Michele and Spanish front man Diego Tristan are also likely to depart West Ham as manager Gianfranco Zola looks to strengthen his squad in the summer.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...ils/Lucas+Neill+turns+down+pay+cut/article.do

Very strange contract then.

And it really wasn't hard:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jun/14/newsstory.sport

Haha yeh I just found that one too. Not that strange. Sign on bonuses, staying up bonuses etc = 80k a week. In the event we get relegated he leaves to another club and pockets 4-5 mill for 6 months of football. Anyway rumors are hes all but signed with Man City. As for funniest rumor of the day, this is hard to beat

0912 BST: German side Bayern Munich are preparing a bid for Chelsea right-back Jose Bosingwa. (German newspaper Bild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back