Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

People look for racism, sexism, whatever 'ism' is on the menu that day pretty ferociously these days. Which is a good thing when you are bringing something to light, but The Boy Who Cried Wolf never stopped applying. Plenty of people are pretty quick to jump on the latest pile on without looking too closely in the mirror. Grandstanding and moral posturing is easier.

What annoys me is that people seem to have lost the ability to distinguish context and severity. A comedian mocking stereotypes is not the same as Donald Sterling or Allan McAlister.

I am fascinated by specific prejudices like the one above. I wouldn't even know where to start stereotyping people from PNG. Frizzy hair, like rugby league? OK Now I am just being casually racist. Vale me. Cancelled.

Think he echoed eddies thoughts that it was a proud and historic day

Did Gough suspend Bostonian for that post? Lol.

Growing up I loved cricket but really have no interest in it these days. I've replaced it with another sport starting with c.
Croquet?
Curling?
Cross...

Country running?

When you think your life is so terrible that you think chancing staying on the fuselage of an airplane as it takes off is worth risking.
Imagine helping people try to rebuild your country for twenty years because you think their cause is a just one only for them to to say it's all too hard when the shit hits the fan and you need their help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A girl I work with passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago, mid 40s and it was sudden so quite the shock. She was a fantastic person.
She had a 6 year old daughter.
Found out today that her partner has not worked for a couple of years as he has terminal brain cancer and only has months left to live. There is a Go Fund Me, but news like that is completely deflating.

Not exactly sure if this is the right thread, but seems somewhat appropriate.

My partner and I welcomed our first child into the world just over two months ago, and while I knew it was going to change our lives forever, I never really grasped just how much of a challenge it’d be.

And frankly, I’m hating it. I loved the life I had beforehand. That’s all gone now. Can’t do any of the stuff I used to enjoy. The sleep deprivation is also playing a major role on my mental health. Some days I just want to disappear and forget about all of the responsibilities. Some days I just want to experience even 15 minutes of silence and not the ear-piercing sound of a baby screaming. My wife works in childcare and she copes pretty well with the crying because she’s used to it, but it seems like a trigger for me. I just can’t.

Don’t get me wrong, I love him to pieces and would do anything for him, but I just find myself wallowing in a pit of depression more days than not these days. Sometimes we’ll put him down for sleep during the day and I might get 30 minutes to sit on the couch and catch up on one of my favourite shows, but I feel like as soon as my hand touches the remote the baby monitor goes off and I’ve got to jump right back into dad mode.

Feeling this way does make me feel like a bit of a failure, like I’m not fulfilling my role as a dad like I should be. But I also feel like I’m being thrown in the deep end a little more than most dads due to being home more often due to lockdown. I envy the dads that get to go back to work and be out of the house five-six days a week.

I think that’s enough of my rambling. Sorry it doesn’t flow exactly well.

What you are feeling is perfectly normal Ahern2Boof - it’s a massive transition and it’s not just mums who experience the baby blues.
I don’t know if you are in lockdown but go for a walk so you have privacy and give a counselling service a call

Thanks guys. Went to the doctors today to get a mental health plan started and spoke to my wife about how I was feeling and she’s doing her best to make sure I can still have some downtime when appropriate which has helped.
The important thing is you've seen someone.

Not exactly sure if this is the right thread, but seems somewhat appropriate.

My partner and I welcomed our first child into the world just over two months ago, and while I knew it was going to change our lives forever, I never really grasped just how much of a challenge it’d be.

And frankly, I’m hating it. I loved the life I had beforehand. That’s all gone now. Can’t do any of the stuff I used to enjoy. The sleep deprivation is also playing a major role on my mental health. Some days I just want to disappear and forget about all of the responsibilities. Some days I just want to experience even 15 minutes of silence and not the ear-piercing sound of a baby screaming. My wife works in childcare and she copes pretty well with the crying because she’s used to it, but it seems like a trigger for me. I just can’t.

Don’t get me wrong, I love him to pieces and would do anything for him, but I just find myself wallowing in a pit of depression more days than not these days. Sometimes we’ll put him down for sleep during the day and I might get 30 minutes to sit on the couch and catch up on one of my favourite shows, but I feel like as soon as my hand touches the remote the baby monitor goes off and I’ve got to jump right back into dad mode.

Feeling this way does make me feel like a bit of a failure, like I’m not fulfilling my role as a dad like I should be. But I also feel like I’m being thrown in the deep end a little more than most dads due to being home more often due to lockdown. I envy the dads that get to go back to work and be out of the house five-six days a week.

I think that’s enough of my rambling. Sorry it doesn’t flow exactly well.
Sleep is key. Learn about sleep routines and get the little fella in to one ASAP. It takes discipline and a little bit of time, but it works.
Don't beat yourself up too much though. First time parenting is hard, even harder during lockdown. Tag out occasionally if you need to, even if it's just a 15 minute walk away from the house. It's not natural for us to be cooped up like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back