Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like this now at 51, smack bang in the middle of a mid-life crisis. Got everything going for me, great wife and family, career, home, fit, my own hair (lol), no reason to feel this way. Closer to death than youth, sentimentality and melancholy are dangerous in equal measure.
As a white middle aged man, I've never felt more useless in my life
Sorry to hear, brother. Glad to know I'm not the only one, everyone else seems very happy and full of purpose. Glad, but sorry to hear. It all really hit me hard during lockdown, and ita not like something to recover from, but more like realization, seeing the truth and no turning back to ignorance.

Terrible news about the 5 kids killed in Tassie, reminds me of the 6 kids killed in the 1979 Luna Park ghost train fire, kids killed just trying to have fun.

You think back to when you did the same things as a kid, I jumped on bouncy castles, I went on ghost trains, the same thing could've happened to me.

Not the first death in Australia from a jumping castle being lifted by wind

Wonder if they will charge the operators of this one or if it will be deemed to have been secured properly like the one that injured some kids in NSW

You would think they could be engineered to be safer
Water ballast more airflow though the walls less parachuting potential
Parts that would rip apart instead of fly ,maybe velcro ???
Attached wind meters with flashing lights closing the thing down.
They are a licence to print money, so it can be done with insurance coverage only for safer devices or certificates of safety
Unfortunately its a too late

Last edited:
We used to own a bouncy castle business - sold it after the tragedy in SA. Goes without saying that I’m relieved we did - I just could not live with that regardless of the fact that it’s a freak accident

Was it a lucrative business?

It was a weekend business for us for extra $$

When you consider the hours involved, insurance, the trailer, fuel etc probably not at the end of the day, but it was also 20 years ago. After the SA tragedy it just wasn’t the same - got nervous everytime we took it out and of course the insurance was insane

Best advice I was ever given was to just live your life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters, not the mortgage, not your job, not the team you follow and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, you're free.
Ten seconds or less, not in my car!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Fwiw my nan went through chemo and other cancer treatment in her 80s and it brought her 3 cancer free years late in life, probably worth it I reckon, but won't work for everyone.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At birth, a boy born in the most socially-disadvantaged 10 per cent of the population can expect an average lifespan of 75.9 years.
But one born in the most socially-advantaged 10 per cent of population can look forward to 84.6 years.

A baby girl born in the most socially-disadvantaged circumstances has an average lifespan of 81.2 years compared to 87.6 years for socially-advantaged girls.

/not to mention furious, pissed off, disgusted etc etc..

Today is the summer solstice. Ergo tomorrow days get shorter
Death of the sun....sounds like Easter

We usually have the druids doing their thing having a nudey dance on the ley lines up the road from here I wonder if thats going on with ronna ???
There used to be a gates of perception monument built up there but they tore it down

Imagine living in England where it gets dark at 4pm this time of year

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Closer to 4:30pm here. Meh. Everything is lit up with Christmas lights so it’s not bad. Often cloudy and rainy at this time of year anyway. Don’t find it that much different to a Melbourne winter really. Maybe 45 minutes earlier.

Summer is great though. Sun is out from around 5 to 10.

No more gaps over 2 known gecko entry points you could see where they wore the paint away over 20 years...Im sure theres plenty more I dont know about

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back