Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at a pedestrian ccrossing this week behind two cars which werent moving for some unknown reason, it took me a little while to realise that there was a man in a wheelchair struggling to roll himself up a bit of an incline, he was motioning for help as both cars squeezed past him through a small gap.

I did what I thought any normal compassionate human would do in this situation which was get out and give the guy a hand.
I seriously felt like getting back in my car and chasing down other two cars to run them off the road,

Hearing about two cricket legends passing away. Vale warnie and Rod Marsh

Makes me angry too because its rooted in racism
Would be part of the problem no doubt but I don't think screaming racist all the time is overly productive.

I think it's sad how little attention this sort of stuff gets, problem is I think is often if people can't see something from their place in the city it's not really a big issue.

Just shouldn't happen especially in a country like Australia.

Would be part of the problem no doubt but I don't think screaming racist all the time is overly productive.

I think it's sad how little attention this sort of stuff gets, problem is I think is often if people can't see something from their place in the city it's not really a big issue.

Just shouldn't happen especially in a country like Australia.
i think if you cant acknowledge the problem is systemic and racist you wont be able to solve it

this particular situation is very much caused by the racism embedded in the health system where the death happened

If you can't accept and address that you can't make meaningful change

Well, it’s the night before the day of my gf’s surgery following her cancer diagnosis and then chemo since Oct.
It’s kinda funny how her treatment pretty much covered the whole off season of footy, starting week after Grand Final and now with surgery week before the new season.
But i know its just the beginning of the next chapter for her and for us and our blended families and friends.
Surgery tomorrow is double mastectomy with things called expanders put in. And then over the next few months they are well, expanded, culminating in another surgery to remove and put in the implants.
So looking how things have panned out, she will no doubt have fake busty boobs like the majority of gold coast girls come Grand Final week.

It’s been draining and tiring for us all. It’s been financially stressful as she hasn’t worked since Sep. And , although the odds are pretty good nowadays as it was caught early and treated hard and fast, i cant but feel like we are cursed.

Well, it’s the night before the day of my gf’s surgery following her cancer diagnosis and then chemo since Oct.
It’s kinda funny how her treatment pretty much covered the whole off season of footy, starting week after Grand Final and now with surgery week before the new season.
But i know its just the beginning of the next chapter for her and for us and our blended families and friends.
Surgery tomorrow is double mastectomy with things called expanders put in. And then over the next few months they are well, expanded, culminating in another surgery to remove and put in the implants.
So looking how things have panned out, she will no doubt have fake busty boobs like the majority of gold coast girls come Grand Final week.

It’s been draining and tiring for us all. It’s been financially stressful as she hasn’t worked since Sep. And , although the odds are pretty good nowadays as it was caught early and treated hard and fast, i cant but feel like we are cursed.
Hugs to you both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me angry too because its rooted in racism
no, it is rooted in the inability to get qualified staff to work in rural and remote areas

the economics of medicine don’t add up in the bush and it is exacerbated by an undersupply of doctors driven by the self-interest of the medical fraternity

no, it is rooted in the inability to get qualified staff to work in rural and remote areas

the economics of medicine don’t add up in the bush and it is exacerbated by an undersupply of doctors driven by the self-interest of the medical fraternity
I'd say that goes for the police round that way as well, three bullets to defend yourself from a pair of nail scissors might not exactly be murder but at the same time it doesn't scream professional or competent. Pleasingly Rolfe will probably have to find a place even more remote than Yuendumu to live a life where he's not constantly looking over one shoulder.

Hope you are both OK.

I'd say that goes for the police round that way as well, three bullets to defend yourself from a pair of nail scissors might not exactly be murder but at the same time it doesn't scream professional or competent. Pleasingly Rolfe will probably have to find a place even more remote than Yuendumu to live a life where he's not constantly looking over one shoulder.
I take it this is the point where your your younger relatives nod and smile and steer you by your elbow for a lie down

I appreciate that you get a sense of superiority, or catharsis - or something - out of vilifying people you don’t like, but when a problem is systemic you are doing about as much good as people who victim-blame

I take it this is the point where your your younger relatives nod and smile and steer you by your elbow for a lie down

I appreciate that you get a sense of superiority, or catharsis - or something - out of vilifying people you don’t like, but when a problem is systemic you are doing about as much good as people who victim-blame
Cool your jets mate, it's not like he's being hounded out of the country for a Tweet critical of our refugee policy.

Yep spot on it's a bit sad. I'll add that these types don't generally really care that much about any good being done, well at least not compared to the main priority is trying to make themselves somehow feel good on the internet.

The good news - my gf is out of recovery and in a ward and says she feels ok post surgery.

The bad news - i have aggravated my back. Doing nothing in particular, just walking from kitchen to bedroom after lunch (when it gave way and that familiar shooting pain i had first up two weeks ago and then for days after just returned).

Currently on bed resting with heat pack, some drugs (including a gift from a neighbour for something i didnt have any left as my gp appt isnt until Friday and luckily they had some) but I won't be able to drive up to see her tonight in hospital. But hoping i will tomorrow.

Seriously 2021/2022 can f_r_o_

You really don't think there is systematic racism at play in the actions of our law enforcement or health systems?
You're very quick to say stuff isn't racist

Yep spot on it's a bit sad. I'll add that these types don't generally really care that much about any good being done, well at least not compared to the main priority is trying to make themselves somehow feel good on the internet.
I think that the constant denial that racism is involved means it will never be dealt with.

Its good for the cops and the courts and the prisons, but not so much for the people they target

You really don't think there is systematic racism at play in the actions of our law enforcement or health systems?
You're very quick to say stuff isn't racist

Our health system actually has targets and funding for Indigenous Health, it is taken seriously.

Likewise rural and remote health. I know people who work in that area, the government track it very closely and put up all sorts of incentives for people to move to ASGS zones 4 and 5.

Yet it is still hard to get people to move into these areas. And they remain at a massive disadvantage, and many indigenous people live in 4 and 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back