Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Found out one of my wife's family friends has breast cancer. This poor woman have been battling cancer for the best part of two decades. She's had about a 10 year spell cancer free but this has just popped up.

Hopefully they've got it early enough but ****, just a nightmare. They'd just sold their house in Sydney and were moving up to a retirement community - they're now not sure what they'll do.

Watching our dog pass away last week, it's cut me up a lot more than I thought it would.

He'd been crook with cancer, and had outlived the date the vet gave him by 18mths, but still he deteriorated extremely quickly. He'd lived to his life expectancy as well, but jeez it's been tough. Thankfully was able to go peacefully in our arms at home, and we buried him in the garden in the backyard. So it all turned out nice, but you realise that when he doesn't follow you around everywhere there's a real missing piece.

We went back to our weekly pub trivia last night where he was quite popular. That was a challenge

Her doctor will notice. Is someone looking after her in her house? Dementia is progressive and there's no way to know how. Eventually it becomes too much for carers to manage :(

She does but, let’s just say it’s not helpful at the least.

I’m not willing to go into details as I want to maintain some semblance of privacy surrounding it and will only try to be general.

It hadn’t really had a massive affect on me until her latest update.

My parent's house - the family home - which mum and dad bought in 1981, and I spent 29 years of my life in, is on the market.

Too big for my mum to maintain now since my dad died. It's for the best but it's still sad.
Our family home back in Illinois was sold in 2017 shortly after I moved back to Melbourne. We had lived in it for 46 years. I was the last in our family to live in it for almost a year after our mother died. I sometimes look at Google Maps to see if the new owners have changed anything.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The house I grew up in went on the market just recently and I thought about going and having a sticky but decided it's best left in my memories.

My best mates family home got sold recently, just around the corner from me. His olds had been there 50’years and downsized, seeing that weatherboard get demolished for townhouses was very sad, the saying “it’s not a house it’s a home” came to mind.

I recently had a random knock at the door. It was a middle aged woman who asked me if she could bring her mother through the home.

Turns out the mother lived here when she was a young girl (1950s) before her parents sold the place to my grandparents. and they wanted to record her reactions. Was a really beautiful experience.

One funny thing though was when she asked about this giant opulent fountain that we used to have in the backyard and how her grandfather imported it from Italy and she used to throw coins and pebbles into it and make a wish.

I lied and told her that the council made me remove it …. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I smashed the thing to smithereens with a sledge hammer a few years ago.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recently had a random knock at the door. It was a middle aged woman who asked me if she could bring her mother through the home.

Turns out the mother lived here when she was a young girl (1950s) before her parents sold the place to my grandparents. and they wanted to record her reactions. Was a really beautiful experience.
I’ve driven past my childhood home but my sister did what your visitors did and the owners were nice enough to show her through. It was different of course, updated. Dad paid about $10,000 for it, it’s now worth over a million.

My Gran had dementia and eventually had to go into a home. Luckily she passed before it got too bad but her mum had it bad. At the end she didn't remember anyone or anything.

My grandad had dementia bad. He used to sit up in the living room and look at photos of people and ask my grandma who they were. So he knew he was losing it but tried to cling on to the memory. Because he did that he knew who I was. He had a fall and in hospital they did an assessment on him and as part of that they asked him who my grandma was, and because he obviously wasn't looking at photos of her and asking her who she was, like he was with others, he didn't know :(

My old place I sold .

Had at least 2 different owners .
One made my brothers old room into a large bathroom.
Made a 3 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom.

Then someone brought it remade that bathroom back to a bedroom.
Then made my old room into a bathroom.
I do like how they did the kitchen tho .
But seems waste full moving a bathroom.

Both my old nextdoor neighbours places were knocked down.
I took pics send it to them .

Off the top of my head I've lived in eleven places in the last forty five years and there's be a few I can't remember either.
10 different places but ive moved out and back in to my parents place a few times among that 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Arts & Humanities The Things That Make You Sad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back