Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's fit, he's twice the player Cox is. In the prelim, he was coming back from injury. And that's the issue -- his body, not his talent. If he's in the list and fit, he showed last year he's still better than Cox.
Too right, but I think they might opt for Cameron ahead of either.

Too right, but I think they might opt for Cameron ahead of either.
Have to say my view is that if he stays fit, a big if, coming off a full pre season, Reid is our likely best KPF. Cameron completely unproven. No one even himself knows whether he is a good chance to
even make it as an AFL
player.

Have to say my view is that if he stays fit, a big if, coming off a full pre season, Reid is our likely best KPF. Cameron completely unproven. No one even himself knows whether he is a good chance to
even make it as an AFL
player.

If it's a Later that was waste of a List Spot

Had a chat to some of the boys today.

I asked Will Kelly about which side of the ground he prefers. He said he is loving playing forward, but doesn't mind either position; whichever gets him a game, he says.

Bianco is a nice boy who I told him how I trust when he has the ball in his hands. Always hits a target.
Did you see any of the other blokes there?

Yeah. I saw Dunn, Roughy, Murphy Tohil. The ones I spoke to was Bianco, Appleby and Kelly. But saw Atu, Quaynor as well. They were walking around.
Thanks, I noticed that Apples, Murphy, Roughie and Kelly were doing some fundraising for the fires.

If he's fit, he's twice the player Cox is. In the prelim, he was coming back from injury. And that's the issue -- his body, not his talent. If he's in the list and fit, he showed last year he's still better than Cox.
Reid's kicking for goal is as bad as Cloke's. I am sick of having players who win the pill or take a great contested mark and even when 25 metres out you have your eyes closed and fingers crossed. Sick of it.

When Cox marks it inside 40 he kicks the goal. When Reid marks it, it can go anywhere.

Reid's kicking for goal is as bad as Cloke's. I am sick of having players who win the pill or take a great contested mark and even when 25 metres out you have your eyes closed and fingers crossed. Sick of it.

I feel your pain buddy. Some of our players have had goal kicking techniques that would shame an under 10’s player.
Reid could have got us over the line in the last quarter of the prelim. But bad technique came back to bite him. He rotates on his right leg while kicking. The non kicking foot should be planted & aimed at the target, not rotating 90 degrees through the action. It introduces so many more variables than there needs to be.

I’d like to ask Jen2310 a question.
when the players break away & do goal kicking practice, are they actually being studied & coached while doing so or are we leaving them to practice their own bad habits?

I feel your pain buddy. Some of our players have had goal kicking techniques that would shame an under 10’s player.
Reid could have got us over the line in the last quarter of the prelim. But bad technique came back to bite him. He rotates on his right leg while kicking. The non kicking foot should be planted & aimed at the target, not rotating 90 degrees through the action. It introduces so many more variables than there needs to be.

I’d like to ask Jen2310 a question.
when the players break away & do goal kicking practice, are they actually being studied & coached while doing so or are we leaving them to practice their own bad habits?
Coaches are still there, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'll take notice today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox needs to be based closer to goal imo, he lacks the precision in his kicking and the vision to be a damaging deliverer of the ball inside 50, so why time and time again we see the big fella taking marks or getting possession 50-60m's out baffles me.

Most of the time he takes possession outside 50 and lobs it long inside 50, puts it on the heads of the likes of WHE and Stepho etc, when ironically he should be the one the ball is being kicked high and long inside 50 to. While I do understand it is important for him at times to push up the ground and be involved in the game, when inside 50's are a bit lean, but I feel his time inside 50 and time roaming up the ground is well out.

I think our most damaging inside 50 setup is Cox and one of Elliot/De Goey/Stephenson as the deepest forwards, with the rest of the forwards up the ground and moving back towards goal with the play.

Cox needs to be based closer to goal imo, he lacks the precision in his kicking and the vision to be a damaging deliverer of the ball inside 50, so why time and time again we see the big fella taking marks or getting possession 50-60m's out baffles me.

Most of the time he takes possession outside 50 and lobs it long inside 50, puts it on the heads of the likes of WHE and Stepho etc, when ironically he should be the one the ball is being kicked high and long inside 50 to. While I do understand it is important for him at times to push up the ground and be involved in the game, when inside 50's are a bit lean, but I feel his time inside 50 and time roaming up the ground is well out.

I think our most damaging inside 50 setup is Cox and one of Elliot/De Goey/Stephenson as the deepest forwards, with the rest of the forwards up the ground and moving back towards goal with the play.
I dunno. I feel we are most damaging when we keep mixing up that deep forward and keeping the opposition defence guessing. Leaving that player one out and it normally results in a score for us, whether it's De goey, Stephenson, Elliott or even Cox.

Whilst i agree Cox doesn't deliver the ball well going inside 50 i think at times having him up the ground is valuable as a get out of jail down the line kick when our defence is under pressure.

I think if we left Cox in the forward line at all times we tend to just kick it to him all the time and become to predictable.

I dunno. I feel we are most damaging when we keep mixing up that deep forward and keeping the opposition defence guessing. Leaving that player one out and it normally results in a score for us, whether it's De goey, Stephenson, Elliott or even Cox.

Whilst i agree Cox doesn't deliver the ball well going inside 50 i think at times having him up the ground is valuable as a get out of jail down the line kick when our defence is under pressure.

I think if we left Cox in the forward line at all times we tend to just kick it to him all the time and become to predictable.

Agree he should never be our sole focal target for a full 4 quarters, as that makes us far to predictable. I think that once you take out the time he spends in the ruck and on the bench, it's the allocation of the remaining time being split as a deep forward or as a up the ground forward. I just feel he gets to lost/stuck up the ground to often as he lacks the pass to press forward and get another touch in the scoring chain.

I think his biggest strength comes from leading out of the square to that 25-40m zone and kicking from there, I think I would like to see a better balance of his time doing that, coupled with his time up the ground. Say of the time left not rucking/bench maybe a 65/35% or 70/30% split of deep fwd/up the ground time.

Great training reports, very much appreciated.

Ben Reid continues to have glowing reports...perhaps he may challenge Checka for a spot.

Competition for spots up forward for our bigs is something we haven’t had for a while.

Cox might be the one in trouble if Reid can stay fit.

Collingwood has turned those Players into Good Solid AFL Players before

Usually when they have a higher AFL pedigree to start with. Dunn, Roughead and even Leigh Brown had played a lot of footy to decent standard before arriving here. Cameron hasn't done that.

Last edited:

If Reid's left peg is as shot as it looked last year then he's going to struggle to get games in 2020 and we're going to struggle if he is getting them.

We simply can't afford to have a bloke taking 4-5 marks deep inside F50 and struggle to convert (or even make the distance) even from only 35-40 out - that sort of stuff can be soul-destroying for a team's chances in a game (especially a closer one).

He doesn't have to get back to the days when he could kick raking 55-60m drop punts and hit a bloke on the chest coming off half back, but he at least needs to be competent at kicking the ball reliably up to 45m out and if he can do that then he brings enough ro the table elsewhere to be in consideration for best 22/25 as long as it looks like we're still a shot at finals / the flag this year.

If / when that finals-driven motivation wanes then we need to switch to the kids irrespective of how Reid is playing.

Last edited:
cox I do like. Great bloke and tries his heart out, but he clearly is a short term option. Not our long term one, clearly, given his age and I think he has reached his limit.

Depends upon how long term you're projecting but if he gets a spot round 1 and can hit somewhere around 2 goals and keep that as an average, along with 5+ contested marks, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon barring injury. But the same applies to Reid and Cameron at this stage. The seasons of all 3 could well be decided by round 1 selections if whoever gets that spot takes their chance, can maintain some form, and is durable.

Cox might be the one in trouble if Reid can stay fit.

and what precisely are the chances of Reid staying fit? Yes, Reid was a genuine A grader in his heyday. Yup he has played ok the last 2 years when he has had the chance, and if given a bit of continuity he may well prove better than Coxy. But let's be realistic here, he has managed 55 games in 6 years!!

Reid is good depth but let's not go back to the future. In the prelim we thought we would resurrect him. The team went to him for most of the day, rarely to Elliott and he let us down.

Gee, on a day when a grand total of 15 contested marks were taken, 2 of them by Reid, it's a tough call to say he wasn't the right target. Add that he should of had 2 of 8 goals for the day instead of 1 of 7. That miss in the last tainted his entire game but in reality he played his role coping with the GWS +1 and got little support from his team mates.

Depends upon how long term you're projecting but if he gets a spot round 1 and can hit somewhere around 2 goals and keep that as an average, along with 5+ contested marks, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon barring injury. But the same applies to Reid and Cameron at this stage. The seasons of all 3 could well be decided by round 1 selections if whoever gets that spot takes their chance, can maintain some form, and is durable.
2 goals per game is too much of an ask for Cox from what we’ve seen. That would make him a 40+ goal forward and I just don’t think he has that in him, and I’m not sure the coaching staff do either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back