The Top 2 Draftees Are Settled..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
No matter who finishes bottom 2, the top 2 draftees will be Watts and Natinui.

So why do people still suggest that WC will take Rich and Nat could slide down to pick 6-7 etc etc.

Head recruiters from a few clubs have already stated that these 2 boys are clearly top 2, after that you could place a blanket over about 6 guys for the next spots.

Natanui's best is exceptional - we are talking take the game by the puppy scruff and tear it shreds levels of excitement being possible.

Can he do it consistently though and does he do enough to warrant a top 2 or 3 draft pick as opposed to some very safe options in Jack Watts, Daniel Rich & Jack Ziebell.

No matter who finishes bottom 2, the top 2 draftees will be Watts and Natinui.

So why do people still suggest that WC will take Rich and Nat could slide down to pick 6-7 etc etc.

Head recruiters from a few clubs have already stated that these 2 boys are clearly top 2, after that you could place a blanket over about 6 guys for the next spots.

Because the Eagles need midfielders and Rich is the best one available, I think it's pretty likely they'll take him. Nat won't fall that low though.

I dont think Natanui is as locked into the top two as you might think.

He is a project player who doesn't get a hell of a lot of the ball at the moment.

Great athlete but there is a small risk that comes with him.

He's already getting midteens in disposals as a ruckman in the WAFL. Not many AFL ruckman get more possessions. Its the tackles and shepherds thats getting everyone excited.

Definately a worthy number 1 pick.

It all depends what the clubs who pick percieve what their needs are. No point picking a ruckman if you have 3 or 4 options already, just because he is "the next best" available in the draft. They would be better served picking up a midfielder or KPP if thats what they think they need.

The strong mail around Perth is that the eagles want Rich to bolster their flagging midfield/wing(s). Given that they are set to lose Braun, more than likely lose Fletcher - that leaves Kerr, Embley and a bunch of kids (like Ebert, Masten, Selwood etc) to fill the spots I guess it kinda makes sense.

Personally I think they would be wise to get Nick and move the Sea Biscuit on, but thats just my own personal opinion. Cox isn't going to last forever and they dont seem to have a notable back-up other than Seaby who has really stagnated or even gone backwards this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the Eagles need midfielders and Rich is the best one available, I think it's pretty likely they'll take him. Nat won't fall that low though.

Eagles need ruckmen more. Cox isn't going to be around forever and neither Seaby or Grayham are up to it as a second string ruckman. If they don't get a ruckman now they are going to be in massive trouble in this department in a few years time.

I would be wanting Watts for Eagles as they need goalkickers desperately.

Also really like that McKernan. He could be a dominant ruck/forward tall man.

Vickory is decent but that Knee reco gotta put you off.

Nait might not be #1 as the top 3 will have some other choices. Little chance of him going 4 or less though. He will end up at Dees/Eagles/Dockers.

Also watch on Zaharakis. Looks like a good footy player on the make.

I would be wanting Watts for Eagles as they need goalkickers desperately.

Also really like that McKernan. He could be a dominant ruck/forward tall man.

Vickory is decent but that Knee reco gotta put you off.

Nait might not be #1 as the top 3 will have some other choices. Little chance of him going 4 or less though. He will end up at Dees/Eagles/Dockers.

Also watch on Zaharakis. Looks like a good footy player on the make.

Watts is a raw 17-18 year old, don't need another developing forward when we've already got Kennedy, Mitch Brown, Notte, McKinley and Lecras who are all 21 or under.

The Eagles are very keen on Rich and is the most likely choice for them

Eagles need ruckmen more. Cox isn't going to be around forever and neither Seaby or Grayham are up to it as a second string ruckman. If they don't get a ruckman now they are going to be in massive trouble in this department in a few years time.

Cox is 27 this year, he's still got a good 4-5 years left in him. Will Sullivan on our rookie list is looking promising as well so we're not as stuck for ruckman as some may think.

If worst comes to worst Lynch and Kennedy have shown themselves capable of pinch hitting in the ruck as well.

if naitanui is available at pick 3, mark harvey and brad lloyd will be ejaculating all over the draft table

I get the feeling that if Johno Smith from the Managatang reserves is still available at pick 3 the abovementioned fellows will be doing what you said all over the table.

On a slightly more serious note taking a 'project player' at number one is not a small risk - it's a huge one. I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up going at number 3 and Harvey gets a chance to do what pinkus is asserting here.

I believe Rich has a higher priority to West Coast as he is a West Australian. If he was from another state he probably wouldn't be such a favoured pick. I personally think he is ready made and could step up to AFL tomorrow.

Cox is 27 this year, he's still got a good 4-5 years left in him. Will Sullivan on our rookie list is looking promising as well so we're not as stuck for ruckman as some may think.

If worst comes to worst Lynch and Kennedy have shown themselves capable of pinch hitting in the ruck as well.

Contrary to BF logic - you don't draft for now, you draft for 5 years time.

Worsfold and co aren't stupid - they know they will have a ruck problem in 4 years time if they don't fix it now through the draft. They would be negligent in their duties if they didn't draft Naitanui (or any other ruck) this season.

Worsfold and co aren't stupid - they know they will have a ruck problem in 4 years time if they don't fix it now through the draft. They would be negligent in their duties if they didn't draft Naitanui (or any other ruck) this season.

Have to agree with this. Cox will be 28 in Naitanui's debut year.

The Eagles have always had a promising understudy in the ruck.

Eagles fans should be happy to get him. Everyone can see Nats faults in his kicking. He's not the best reader of the play either. BUT he still manages to dominate hitouts, often resulting in clearances at centre bounces due to his leap. He is still managing to get mid teens in disposals. Which, for a ruckman, is very very good.

Rich is a nuggety player with an awesome kick. Not blessed with pace or height, he's got everything else. But the general public seem to overlook the pace and height factor determining he's a 'safer' bet than Nat. I'm not so sure.

See above, we've already got an 18 year old understudy in Will Sullivan who's showing promise so Naitanui isn't as big a priority. We can afford to take a 'lesser' ruckman with a lower pick or even rookie list one and develop him.

See above, we've already got an 18 year old understudy in Will Sullivan who's showing promise so Naitanui isn't as big a priority. We can afford to take a 'lesser' ruckman with a lower pick or even rookie list one and develop him.

Won't happen.

So we can take one with a lower pick, rookie pick or next year. NickNat is not the be all and end all.

During Worsfold's term he has implemented a pretty strict "draft the best available player regardless of position" system.

I would expect that to continue. Where they rate NickNat, Rich or Watts will be seen in time

Remove this Banner Ad

The Top 2 Draftees Are Settled..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back