Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is an exert from this article. The link also has a bit of video from 7 news.

"West Coast fans who went to Lathlain Park yesterday hoping to see Nic Naitanui in full flight were left disappointed.

Naitanui denied last week he had endured another setback in his return from a knee reconstruction and promised a return to full training this week.

“I’ll build up again as of next week and work through the Christmas period,” Naitanui said last Wednesday.

But the ruckman spent much of the almost two-hour session in wet conditions training away from the main group, with the Eagles still taking a cautious approach with their most prized asset.

Naitanui joined in match simulation only to take ruck taps from throw-ins opposed to part-time ruck coach Jonathan Giles.

He also did ruck drills towards the end of the session, but did not leap when he tapped the ball to the midfield.

Experienced wingman Lewis Jetta also appeared to suffer a pre-Christmas injury. He limped to the sidelines early in the session.

Jetta watched from the dugout with his left calf iced while his teammates completed the session, but the club had not revealed the extent of the injury last night.

The 2018 campaign will be critical for Jetta, who has been inconsistent in 27 games since crossing to the Eagles from Sydney at the end of 2015.

Dual Coleman medallist Josh Kennedy was also on light duties yesterday, running laps with key defender Tom Barrass.

Elliot Yeo, who is being eased in because of a hip injury, was another absentee from the main group. He signed a five-year deal last Friday.

Gun midfielders Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff moved well, as did veteran forward Mark LeCras, during match simulation.

Mature-age draftee Liam Ryan and slimmed-down goal sneak Willie Rioli were lively in attack in promising early signs."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...teady-approach-for-nic-naitanui-ng-b88694257z
*excerpt

I didn't read the rest. Didn't want to exert myself.

What' your opinion on who should start R1 as our starting ruckmen? Or who should be our full forwards? And key full backmen?
Jake Waterman should be FF, relegating that dud Kennedy to the WAFL.

Masten as our ruck because Richmond and Bulldogs proved you don't really need a proper one. He can also run all day and rack up possessions like Cox used to because that's what rucks are meant to do.

Masten as our ruck because Richmond and Bulldogs proved you don't really need a proper one. He can also run all day and rack up possessions like Cox used to because that's what rucks are meant to do.
Thank **** your not our coach. Masten should be no where near our team. Even as a joke.

Jake Waterman to be our next HFF/wingmen.

Thank **** your not our coach. Masten should be no where near our team. Even as a joke.
Yall need to realize Marsdo is still contracted for not only this season, but NEXT season as well.

He's guaranteed to play 1-5 games in 2018. Despite being a crab.

I didnt like reading this today from Simpson about Masten.

'Simpson also used his time in front of the cameras to give 174-game campaigner Chris Masten a ringing endorsement.

The Eagles' senior coach expected the 28-year-old to come out all guns blazing next year after enduring a trying 2017 campaign.

Masten was in and out of the Eagles’ line-up for much of the year and spent the back end of the season honing his craft with East Perth in the WAFL.

“His back end of the season he struggled. It was one of those situations where one game wasn’t going to get him back, it was three or four, and we weren’t in a position to ride him through that,” Simpson said.

“He’s ok. He’s in a good space and he’s had a really good off-season. He’s hit the ground running this year and I have full confidence he can get back to his form.”

http://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-12-20/jetta-down-but-far-from-out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Simpson also used his time in front of the cameras to give 174-game campaigner Chris Masten a ringing endorsement.

The Eagles' senior coach expected the 28-year-old to come out all guns blazing next year after enduring a trying 2017 campaign.

Masten was in and out of the Eagles’ line-up for much of the year and spent the back end of the season honing his craft with East Perth in the WAFL.

“His back end of the season he struggled. It was one of those situations where one game wasn’t going to get him back, it was three or four, and we weren’t in a position to ride him through that,” Simpson said.

“He’s ok. He’s in a good space and he’s had a really good off-season. He’s hit the ground running this year and I have full confidence he can get back to his form.”

TBF, he wouldn’t be doing his job if he wasn’t trying to get the best out of his players, no matter what form they were in during the previous season. Masto is on the list for the next two years (atm) so if Simmo was to just let him play the exact same way as he was last year and have him play WAFL all 2018/19 without driving him to get back into form then he wouldn’t be doing his job, would he?

Masten needs to stand up this season 28 yrs of age , experience on his side opportunities available .
Need to stand up no more laughing in our face and oh yeah I get a few kicks haha stuff , Masten is an endurance runner needs to give it his all because he will get opportunities and has talent in finding the football just needs to apply himself more in pressure situations and back himself in and he can do very well .
I have faith and WCE will need him in 2018 .

Masten needs to stand up this season 28 yrs of age , experience on his side opportunities available .
Need to stand up no more laughing in our face and oh yeah I get a few kicks haha stuff , Masten is an endurance runner needs to give it his all because he will get opportunities and has talent in finding the football just needs to apply himself more in pressure situations and back himself in and he can do very well .
I have faith and WCE will need him in 2018 .

Masten is an elite 2km time trailer but doesn't commit to doing this type of gut busting running in a game. He repeatedly trails his opponents through the middle when they push forward and is always looking to fill the space and direct others to do the hard running.

Has forged a remarkable AFL career despite being a squib and it finally dawned on the match committee this year that we are better off without him (probably helped by the fact that they couldn't off load him).

Masten is an elite 2km time trailer but doesn't commit to doing this type of gut busting running in a game. He repeatedly trails his opponents through the middle when they push forward and is always looking to fill the space and direct others to do the hard running.

Has forged a remarkable AFL career despite being a squib and it finally dawned on the match committee this year that we are better off without him (probably helped by the fact that they couldn't off load him).
would be getting another 800k over the next two years I'd imagine

If Masto "breaks out" this year, I will hate the campaigner for the rest of my life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back