Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess of Burrows is that he ****** up, or just turned out to be unprofessional, and that he has been cut, but that it won't be announced until the end of the year. Which is the most obvious scenario I suppose.

Thanks for the reports Keys, it would be nice if some Shep news somehow filtered out this arvo.

It's the sort of thing that any half-competent journo could find out, particularly if they were running a "WCEFC has a culture problem" campaign and were looking for material.

But when the only person asking questions is some nobody with four followers on twitter it's pretty easy for the club to put their fingers in their ears and ignore it.

I will say, they were a lot better at responding when I had the BFWCE account and its hundreds of followers behind me :(

It's the sort of thing that any half-competent journo could find out, particularly if they were running a "WCEFC has a culture problem" campaign and were looking for material.

But when the only person asking questions is some nobody with four followers on twitter it's pretty easy for the club to put their fingers in their ears and ignore it.

I will say, they were a lot better at responding when I had the BFWCE account and its hundreds of followers behind me :(

Get those slack new mods to pick up their game on the Burrows case.

Really low key session

•Oallen and Achee did some more running to end the session. As did Nelson so that makes the four most likely to replace shepp doing extra work. May or may not be a coincidence
• Gaff trained. Mainly with the WAFL boys. Didn't do much same as the others
• Add Cripps and Redden to the players I didn't see. May have been out there but can't say I noticed them
• Karpany must have been having a copy with burrows somewhere
• McInnes ran the boundary almost the whole session doing rehab
• Must commend the players taking time to sign autographs and take photos for any fans that wanted one. Very generous with their time
• Oallen put a torp through 3/4 post high from the 50m line which was pretty impressive

Not really much to takeaway from the session as to be expected for a recovery exercise after the game with the best part of two weeks before the next one

Rioli with a killer black eye on his insta which might explain his absence. Take it he is suffering some concussion effects and having a rest?

Someone posted a picture before of Lycett with a funny face but Willie was in the foreground with what looked like a pretty good split under his eyebrow.

Really low key session

•Oallen and Achee did some more running to end the session. As did Nelson so that makes the four most likely to replace shepp doing extra work. May or may not be a coincidence
• Gaff trained. Mainly with the WAFL boys. Didn't do much same as the others
• Add Cripps and Redden to the players I didn't see. May have been out there but can't say I noticed them
• Karpany must have been having a copy with burrows somewhere
• McInnes ran the boundary almost the whole session doing rehab
• Must commend the players taking time to sign autographs and take photos for any fans that wanted one. Very generous with their time
• Oallen put a torp through 3/4 post high from the 50m line which was pretty impressive

Not really much to takeaway from the session as to be expected for a recovery exercise after the game with the best part of two weeks before the next one
Would the WAFL boys have had an extra training session over the weekend? If not, I would have expected to see all of them doing extra work to maintain fitness and not just the handful that are most likely to get a call up.

Would the WAFL boys have had an extra training session over the weekend? If not, I would have expected to see all of them doing extra work to maintain fitness and not just the handful that are most likely to get a call up.
Possibly but I honestly wouldn't know. It would be fair to say though that those who didn't play did more during the session than those who did albeit it was a heavy load for anyone - the open training sessions are always low key

As I said it may have been a coincidence but it caught my eye that the four players I'd think are the best chance of coming into the side did extra running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those that are interested

First time they've done an open session at the new stadium. Well done to the club allowing fans to get along

During the window to buy tickets to the Prelim.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a free morning today so I thought I would head down to open training to see the boys before the prelim this week.

- Was a fairly lowkey session but gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2018. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
- Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
- Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
- There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- No sign of Cole, Parto or Hill. Couldn't tell you why.
- Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
- Duggan looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2018.
- Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
- A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
- Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.

Had a free morning today so I thought I would head down to open training to see the boys before the prelim this week.

- Was a fairly lowkey session but gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2018. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
- Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
- Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
- There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
- Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
- Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.
gee

Just a fan as one player had no idea who he may be .

Probably one of the basketballers that we're signing up as cat b rookies for next year - Brodie Riach - who's been training at the club for a few weeks now.

The other one, Patrick Bines, is still in Melbourne and will come across for start of preseason as we embark on our premiership defence

200.gif

we have a GF coming up this week.
we have an identical shaped MCG Oval at Lathlain to ensure we are able to practise game plans so we are good on the G.
so why the **** are we training at Subi Monday this week before our biggest game of the year!!

Last edited:
we have an identical Oval at Lathlain to ensure we are able to practise game plans so we are good on the G
so why the **** are we training at Subi Monday in the week before the GF !!

Is a bit strange.

Anyway I expected fully referenced training notes complete with photo (and preferably video) resources.

we have an identical shaped MCG Oval at Lathlain to ensure we are able to practise game plans so we are good on the G.
so why the **** are we training at Subi Monday this week before our biggest game of the year!!
This week is about emnbracing the moment and recovery - training is done. Planning will be behind closed doors

They barely do shit on a Monday session. Most of the big dawgs will either miss or do laps or in the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back