Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Get down there if you can. Training reports are needed badly.

Maybe a mod could change the title.
Was going to go down but couldn't make it. Will update when they advise next open training which hopefully will be before next Monday

*@trav22 his post not mine*

Hey guys
Few quick notes from today’s training:
(Was only a light session that went for about an hour)

-Nic Nat looking fit
-venables and duggan both look primed for a big year!!
-from the new draftees the only one I saw was petrucelle and Ryan, Ryan’s skills were red hot (can kick a goal)
Petrucelle’s kicking is disgusting, in saying that his set shot goal kicking wasn’t half bad!
- Jetta and Kennedy the only no shows today
- Vardy and Lycette looking solid this time of year
- Rioli lools like he has dropped a ton of weight and can’t wait to see him in the forward line
- Hurn still built like a brick shit house
- shuey trained for about 40 minutes then went into the rooms (didn’t look like anything major)
- Parto is tiny
- Olango and Yeo ran laps the whole time

Like I said guys was a pretty short and sharp session but if you have any other questions i will try answer them to the best of my ability.
Will get down Wednesday if there is an open training session

I took my youngest son down to to the open training session this morning. He is an Essendon supporter so I'm trying to convert him. The atmosphere was pretty laid back from the boys which is not surprising for the first session back. Some players looked sharper and more intense than others.

There was a decent crowd there with a few cameramen videoing the session from behind the fence. The two ovals are in great nick and the training facilities construction is underway. The view across to the hills is quite picturesque and there was a nice cooling breeze coming across the ovals from the south east. At times the breeze did affect their kicking, with some players not as sharp as others with their accuracy. They had the music pumping and there was a really good buzz about the squad. Simpson wasn't there, it was just the assistant coaches and trainers. It's not easy to keep an eye on everything that is going on as there is at time lots of separate drills going with with multiple footys on the ground.

Here is my report:

As noted by someone else, Kennedy and Jetta weren't there. Also, Gaff, Yeo, EMac, Barrass, Olanga weren't there. (Correction: Trav22 says Yeo and Olango were running laps). I don't think I saw Brander there. Oscar Allen was there at the start but I'm not sure he trained.

They started off having shots at goal and then split into two groups, one on each oval. They went into some drills including a simple kicking to a leading player with four or five groups at either end. That was pretty impressive, with not many kicks missing the target.

They also did a drill where out of the centre they would share the ball by hand and the trainer would kick the ball forward (or back), where the KP guys would tap the ball forward for the crumbers to gather and snap at goal. Both Rioli and Ryan were prominent and I don't think missed.

They went into more end to end work where they would link up through the midfield and deliver to the forward. A few times the trainer would blow the whistle when there was a skill error and make them do it again.

I was watching to see who was covering the ground well in the more taxing drills and how sharp they looked. Here's what I thought:

• Hutchings was my standout. He looked super fit and his kicking was immaculate.He was everywhere.
  • Mutimer was looking real good - he was quick, his kicks were accurate. He is looking really big too.
  • Karpany was fairly prominent. He was covering the ground well and looked comfortable out there.
  • Matthew Allen looked good out there. Could be in line for round one.
  • Bayock is very quick and has neat skills.
  • Willie Rioli was impressive, he has real pace and beautiful skills. Wouldn't be surprised if he is picked for round one.
  • Sheed was looking smooth - he looks fit.
  • Shep looked good.
  • Cripps looked good - he even did a nice kick on his left foot which I'm not sure I have seen him do in a game?
  • Shuey was solid. Didn't get out of second gear.
  • Le Cras showed nice touch on one occasion crumbing off the deck.
  • Hurn was good.
  • Waterman looked strong taking the front position and taking a strong grab.
  • Lycett near the end was taking several strong overhead grabs with pressure from one of the trainers. He looked good.
  • Natanui looked good. No problems there that I could see.
  • Redden I didn't notice much but he looks fit.
  • Parto looked pretty good. Got to a couple of contests first.
  • Ryan's skills are silk but I thought he was a bit off the pace with his fitness.
  • Cole looked lively.
  • Ah Chee was solid. Maybe his fitness isn't up there yet. Has a great leap.
  • Masten was efficient and looks very fit. Saw him after the session going to his car and he looks bigger in the upper body than I thought.
  • Brayshaw was involved and didn't look out of place there.
  • Ainsworth looked ok. Maybe a bit off the pace at this stage but got a couple of touches in the around the ground work.
  • Petrucelle covers the ground well but needs to work on his kicking.
  • Nelson was OK bit a couple of his kicks were astray.
  • Duggan seemed fine but a bit quiet.
  • Burrows looked good, he was covering the ground pretty well in that loping fashion and has a nice left foot.
  • Callun England wasn't that prominent but I did notice that he is a decent size kick for a little bloke. Definitely needs time in the gym.
  • Venables looked a bit off the pace with his fitness which isn't surprising given his injury lay offs. He did execute a nice kick that i saw. Unlikely round one starter I would have thought but there is 11 weeks until round 1 so he has time.
  • Watson looked pretty good, but he did look a touch laconic and off the pace. I think a couple of the assistant coaches were having a chat with him after training about it. (Edit: it is Frankie's birthday today so maybe they were just wishing him happy birthday)
Later in the session they split up into ruck/mids, small forwards, tall forwards, half backs and tall backs. Most of those groups were as expected. Le Cras, Cripps, Rioli and Ryan small forwards. Darling, M. Allen and Waterman tall forwards. I did notice Ah Chee was with the half backs group.

I will see if I can get there for the next open session and give a report.

Last edited:
Well judging by that glowing report of all 42 players, premiership = confirmed

Haha. Nice one. I wasn't complimentary of everyone. And to some, I was being diplomatic rather than over the top with criticism of any individual at this early stage of the pre-season. You never know, the ones who I thought were a little quiet might burn the track up next week or next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this was their second 2km time trial for the year. A few senior players did not do the time trial including (by the looks of the video) NN, Shuey, Gov, Schoey and Masten.

The fastest time was by Cripps. The second fastest was Duggan. Great signs for both of those blokes. Hutchings and Nelson moved up to 'elite' category for the run, while Redden and Vardy smashed their PB's, and Lycett improved out of sight.

Of the first year players, Ainsworth was again the fastest, with Brander impressive.

So this was their second 2km time trial for the year. A few senior players did not do the time trial including (by the looks of the video) NN, Shuey, Gov, Schoey and Masten.

The fastest time was by Cripps. The second fastest was Duggan. Great signs for both of those blokes. Hutchings and Nelson moved up to 'elite' category for the run, while Redden and Vardy smashed their PB's, and Lycett improved out of sight.

Of the first year players, Ainsworth was again the fastest, with Brander impressive.
Cripps has always been an endurance runner off field, which is weird because he often looks cooked after one of his trademark runs into the forward 50 (but that might be because of all the fumbling)

Cripps has always been an endurance runner off field, which is weird because he often looks cooked after one of his trademark runs into the forward 50 (but that might be because of all the fumbling)

I've wondered if the endurance nature of footy and Cripps potential limitations from being diabetic have started to show. The game has gone up a notch in regards to endurance and maybe Cripps was at his limit in 2015.

Though he wasn't alone in looking unfit out there, our last quarters are testament to that. Running a 2km time trial doesn't stack up to prolonged endurance sprints over 2 hours

Big things to come from Hutch this season

I've wondered if the endurance nature of footy and Cripps potential limitations from being diabetic have started to show. The game has gone up a notch in regards to endurance and maybe Cripps was at his limit in 2015.

Though he wasn't alone in looking unfit out there, our last quarters are testament to that. Running a 2km time trial doesn't stack up to prolonged endurance sprints over 2 hours
Yeah which is why I wonder why they seem to judge fitness solely off the 2k. Surely the added physical stress of being smashed around plus having to stop and start would be quite different to a one paced middle distance run

Yeah which is why I wonder why they seem to judge fitness solely off the 2k. Surely the added physical stress of being smashed around plus having to stop and start would be quite different to a one paced middle distance run

I think the 2kmTT can only be used to compare an individuals fitness from year to year. It's a good exercise to build some fitness but needs to be done in conjunction with plenty of match sim. Cripps running at the front of the pack doesn't mean he is the fittest. If he beats his PB then cool, he is fitter than last year over 2km. It's what happens after 2km that I'm interested in. I reckon he falls off a cliff and others keep going.

I think the 2kmTT can only be used to compare an individuals fitness from year to year. It's a good exercise to build some fitness but needs to be done in conjunction with plenty of match sim. Cripps running at the front of the pack doesn't mean he is the fittest. If he beats his PB then cool, he is fitter than last year over 2km. It's what happens after 2km that I'm interested in. I reckon he falls off a cliff and others keep going.
They should probably stick to running along safer terrain then

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The training report thread now including finals sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back