The Upper Murray Football League (Part2)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Upper Murray should have joined the Tallangatta league when they had the chance in the 90's!
If we merged now how would it work? Our blokes wouldn't be rapt having to merge with Feds cause we couldnt even field a 2's team last year. Do we have a 3 way merge with Feds and Cudgy, B/W and Tumba merge and Bullioh go it alone in the TDFL??? :confused:

If we merged now how would it work? Our blokes wouldn't be rapt having to merge with Feds cause we couldnt even field a 2's team last year. Do we have a 3 way merge with Feds and Cudgy, B/W and Tumba merge and Bullioh go it alone in the TDFL??? :confused:

Back in the 90's - it was spoken that feds/dees merge and walwa/blues marge to take 2 teams to tallangatta. Not sure UM could provide 2 strong teams these days due to the drop in numbers/talent.

The UM has missed the boat in terms of merging with Tallangatta league.

Back then alot supporters/clubs kicked up a stink cause they felt towns wouldnt survive without football and its local players. Well now theres hardly any locals playing and crowd numbers are terrible. I understand the clubs have history and they want to protect this - but the Upper Murray is in a sad way these days and i believe they had the chance to avoid this!

This is easy said - but Bullioh to be a stand alone in the tallangatta league(where they belong) and then 1 team called Upper Murray which would be picked from tumba,walwa,cudgy and dees - seniors,2nds and 3rds. If ya cant get a game, bad luck - turn up to training next week and keep trying!

If players are missing out on games each week, this is a good thing - it means the standard has probably improved, players have to train/committ to the team/club.

Anyways this will never happen now.

A former Wodonga Saint i'm guessing then Shimmer;) Interesting to see Kingy's name in the clearance's to BB Saints sad to see a great servant of the blues not play out his career there.:)

Certainly not a former saint Toe, i said a very strong 2's side!! And our seniors weren't that bad either!
And Silver Kid, i need not know why i play footy, i've been doing it long enough now to know why.
I am simply looking at it from a recruits perspective of why would i go to another league with inferior rules, not a great way to recruit blokes i'm guessing!!
Not gonna survive reducing player numbers on the ground because when the recruits dry up because they don't want to play 16 a side footy watcha gonna do??? Play 10 a side???

Back in the 90's - it was spoken that feds/dees merge and walwa/blues marge to take 2 teams to tallangatta. Not sure UM could provide 2 strong teams these days due to the drop in numbers/talent.

Back then alot supporters/clubs kicked up a stink cause they felt towns wouldnt survive without football and its local players. Well now theres hardly any locals playing and crowd numbers are terrible. I understand the clubs have history and they want to protect this - but the Upper Murray is in a sad way these days and i believe they had the chance to avoid this!

This is easy said - but Bullioh to be a stand alone in the tallangatta league(where they belong) and then 1 team called Upper Murray which would be picked from tumba,walwa,cudgy and dees - seniors,2nds and 3rds. If ya cant get a game, bad luck - turn up to training next week and keep trying!

If players are missing out on games each week, this is a good thing - it means the standard has probably improved, players have to train/committ to the team/club.

Didn't your cricket association merge into one club and do that in the 90s? How long did they last, and where is cricket up there now.
As a Coreen and District person, merging with another league, or being taken over by them, is not the way to go.
I'd say you're better off keeping on keeping on and trying to attract a new club, such as Bethanga (Wodonga Saints), or two (is there still Aussie Rules at Temora and are they too far away?) to come in.
The old CDFL had 16 a side with four on the bench in the reserves, and it worked well, but I'd never be a fan of doing it in a senior competition because, as Shimmer said, it will reduce the number of players wanting to come in.

Yeah it was understandable back then why people were opposed to it, footy clubs were thriving and the town really got behind them. No one was to know the league would decline so much, now its struggling big time unfortunately. Juniors would have benefited from playing in the tallangatta league also. But, as you say, it has missed the boat by the looks of things, but something must be done.

The UM struggles to compete against other country leagues offering big cash ($1000 + for top tier players), and also that its a bit more isolated. Hopefully something can be done to bring the standard back up again.

I'd think Temora would be just too far away, in all fairness alot of UM players wouldn't be keen for such a road trip, but I understand where your coming from with increasing the no. of teams.

I also wonder what the effect of Bullioh's introduction has been on the league - positive or negative... interested to hear thoughts...

Yeah it was understandable back then why people were opposed to it, footy clubs were thriving and the town really got behind them. No one was to know the league would decline so much, now its struggling big time unfortunately. Juniors would have benefited from playing in the tallangatta league also. But, as you say, it has missed the boat by the looks of things, but something must be done.

The UM struggles to compete against other country leagues offering big cash ($1000 + for top tier players), and also that its a bit more isolated. Hopefully something can be done to bring the standard back up again.

I'd think Temora would be just too far away, in all fairness alot of UM players wouldn't be keen for such a road trip, but I understand where your coming from with increasing the no. of teams.

I also wonder what the effect of Bullioh's introduction has been on the league - positive or negative... interested to hear thoughts...
:thumbsu: I think Bullioh are doing a great job,it does make it hard but the other clubs and players have to step up to the mark,and Wodonga Saints would be a good addition to the league,but Temora,I dont go that far on my holidays. Like I said not long ago,the players have to get thier mates to the games even as spectators.:footy::thumbsu:

Just heard from a very reliable source Tumba have made a BIG offer to Manny Edmunds,Des Royal and another Holbrook player ,and I mean BIG, And if its true I think there will be a few very upset footballers up Tumba way , but I also believe it all revolves around Edmunds, he is the key to it all. If he doesnt go the deal is off the table. Has anybody else heard any rumbles about this? Andwhat about the Tiges, beating Geelong 2nds,:thumbsu::footy::thumbsu:

I also wonder what the effect of Bullioh's introduction has been on the league - positive or negative... interested to hear thoughts...[/quote]

First time i've been on for a while and reading over some recent posts i realise i havn't missed much apart from The Tiger's constant dribble...
The recent topic on the league survival is an interesting one and there has been some valid points worth reading. I agree that Bullioh are doing a good job of running a successful club but i do believe they are the reason the rest of the comp has fallen away so badly.
Before they came in to the comp corryong, feds,cudge and walwa all found it much easier to recruit from wodonga as there was not that compitition of a club located 40mins drive from wodonga. So now clubs find alot of potential recruits simply sign with bullioh as it an 1hr 20 round trip for trainin compared to double that.(I understand that wouldn't be everyones reason to sign and bullioh do a good job in recruiting but they have a massive advantage)
Then there's all the players from the tallangatta league (tallangatta valley, mitta valley and so on) that clubs up there would recruit in years gone by but now find it hard to lure them past the convinent location of bullioh.
So is it i good idea to increase the number of teams? I don't think so. Not when everyones fishin in the same pond.
What the solution is i don't know. Maybe all clubs should have merged years ago and joined the TDFL... or maybe the UM league should of never let bullioh into the five team comp...

First time i've been on for a while and reading over some recent posts i realise i havn't missed much apart from The Tiger's constant dribble...
The recent topic on the league survival is an interesting one and there has been some valid points worth reading. I agree that Bullioh are doing a good job of running a successful club but i do believe they are the reason the rest of the comp has fallen away so badly.
Before they came in to the comp corryong, feds,cudge and walwa all found it much easier to recruit from wodonga as there was not that compitition of a club located 40mins drive from wodonga. So now clubs find alot of potential recruits simply sign with bullioh as it an 1hr 20 round trip for trainin compared to double that.(I understand that wouldn't be everyones reason to sign and bullioh do a good job in recruiting but they have a massive advantage)
Then there's all the players from the tallangatta league (tallangatta valley, mitta valley and so on) that clubs up there would recruit in years gone by but now find it hard to lure them past the convinent location of bullioh.
So is it i good idea to increase the number of teams? I don't think so. Not when everyones fishin in the same pond.
What the solution is i don't know. Maybe all clubs should have merged years ago and joined the TDFL... or maybe the UM league should of never let bullioh into the five team comp...[/quote]

Yeah Lizard you've hit the nail on the head there - Bullioh just has too much of an advantage. Hypothetically if Federals or any team were to offer an Albury-based player $150 per game, then Bullioh could quite easily offer the same amount, or slightly higher and be fairly confident that the travel factor would secure the deal. I think what's also frustrating is their horrible homeground - which they play very well!

I guess at the time "bigger was better" in that the league thought adding teams would only strengthen however its led to the demise of others. In saying this, good to see Tumba and Pies competitive again last year. Lets hope Corryong can get back to what they were, and Feds stay there about... fingers crossed for the sake of the comp!

What the solution is i don't know. Maybe all clubs should have merged years ago and joined the TDFL... or maybe the UM league should of never let bullioh into the five team comp...

Yeah Lizard you've hit the nail on the head there - Bullioh just has too much of an advantage. Hypothetically if Federals or any team were to offer an Albury-based player $150 per game, then Bullioh could quite easily offer the same amount, or slightly higher and be fairly confident that the travel factor would secure the deal. I think what's also frustrating is their horrible homeground - which they play very well!

I guess at the time "bigger was better" in that the league thought adding teams would only strengthen however its led to the demise of others. In saying this, good to see Tumba and Pies competitive again last year. Lets hope Corryong can get back to what they were, and Feds stay there about... fingers crossed for the sake of the comp![/quote]
Just going thru one of your old threads Silver,and a figure you put up about what country clubs pay players, well the figure you mentioned was half what Tumba have offered Manny Edmunds,Des Royal and the unamed player,no other club in this league would even pay thier coach that much ,if they take the offer B/W CUDGIE FEDS and CORRYONG may as well have a comp of thier own,they will not be in the hunt.:footy::thumbsu:

Been missing for a few weeks now back on line and read everything that's been said [16 aside,Tiger upsetting everyone,who's going to which club].
Start with 16 aside means only 2 less players on the field it doesn't mean the rules are different just means you will need to play fit players but before all this happens the clubs have to vote on it [and i don't think Tumba coach has that much say in that matter].
Now about Tiger ,every-one should know by now he does alot of shit stirring and i know afew blokes on here get pissed-off he loves his team [B/W] who's players are all from ALB/WOD based so i rate them in par with Bullioh who i beleive have improved the league .
Now the players tiger thinks are going to tumba you say you got from a good sauce,tumba coach hasn't spoken to any of the players you have mentioned but did speak to a player from B/W and you might know who it is.
Just remember tiger ease up abit .All the best everyone

Been missing for a few weeks now back on line and read everything that's been said [16 aside,Tiger upsetting everyone,who's going to which club].
Start with 16 aside means only 2 less players on the field it doesn't mean the rules are different just means you will need to play fit players but before all this happens the clubs have to vote on it [and i don't think Tumba coach has that much say in that matter].
Now about Tiger ,every-one should know by now he does alot of shit stirring and i know afew blokes on here get pissed-off he loves his team [B/W] who's players are all from ALB/WOD based so i rate them in par with Bullioh who i beleive have improved the league .
Now the players tiger thinks are going to tumba you say you got from a good sauce,tumba coach hasn't spoken to any of the players you have mentioned but did speak to a player from B/W and you might know who it is.
Just remember tiger ease up abit .All the best everyone

REF, the word is source,not sauce,you have that shit on your pies,I do happen to know the B/W player that maxie spoke to,and he made a good effort to entice this player but as he told max,any other league,the answer is yes,but not one so small.And my SAUCE tells me that MAXIE is not telling the whole story if he is denying makeing an offer to the three Hollbrook players,I only wish B/W could offer them the same deal.
I still reckon the Tiges done a great job beating Geelong 2nds:thumbsu::footy::thumbsu: And Ref I will do my best to be a good boy.:cool:

Tiger thank you for correcting my spelling but your source is sauce because i said he hasn't spoken to the players you have mentioned.
And by the way who told you the Brooks boys father was this years Team Manager ,same sauce or just shit-stirring.
It's good to see one of maxie mates [ex cudgie] going up to help Corryong.
Feel free to correct my spelling Tiger and your biggest fan is the bloke you bag out as i told you last season if it wasn't for your entertaining remarks this mite be a boring site.
Tiger i'm thinking of switching A.F.L. Teams so give me your best sales pitch on joining the Tiges:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger thank you for correcting my spelling but your source is sauce because i said he hasn't spoken to the players you have mentioned.
And by the way who told you the Brooks boys father was this years Team Manager ,same sauce or just shit-stirring.
It's good to see one of maxie mates [ex cudgie] going up to help Corryong.
Feel free to correct my spelling Tiger and your biggest fan is the bloke you bag out as i told you last season if it wasn't for your entertaining remarks this mite be a boring site.
Tiger i'm thinking of switching A.F.L. Teams so give me your best sales pitch on joining the Tiges:thumbsu:
Dont be to quick to say he hasnt spoken to the Holbrook players,I know that Edmunds alone will chase the big bucks he doesnt care who he plays for so long as he gets the cash. I will go back to my sauce and make further inquires,keep you up to date. Now on Jason the unlikeable,he was the one who told other people at an UMFL meeting several weeks ago of his position,it may not be team manager but according to him he has an official position with Tumba.Now on AFL footy teams,stick with your own side,or are you a sadist or masochist,why would you wont to switch to the tiges? We will be lucky to win 4 games this year.:footy::thumbsu:

![/quote]
Just going thru one of your old threads Silver,and a figure you put up about what country clubs pay players, well the figure you mentioned was half what Tumba have offered Manny Edmunds,Des Royal and the unamed player,no other club in this league would even pay thier coach that much ,if they take the offer B/W CUDGIE FEDS and CORRYONG may as well have a comp of thier own,they will not be in the hunt.:footy::thumbsu:[/quote]

Yeah the figure of $150 was just hypothetical, player payments are much more excessive these days. I can imagine the coin these boys would be offered (not that I know Royal) would be LARGE. Its another reason why the league as a whole is battling, Hume League and TDFL are forking out big bucks, it makes the task of "bringing a mate to play" in the UMFL near impossible when they could be getting a fair whack of cash elsewhere. You'd struggle to find a handful of gun players who play for the love of it these days.

Can anyone from down Alb/Wodonga way confirm if Chris Pearce and Danny Cohen fro Mitta are going up our way to coach Feds? If true looks like they've opened the cheque book again.:rolleyes:

Can anyone from down Alb/Wodonga way confirm if Chris Pearce and Danny Cohen fro Mitta are going up our way to coach Feds? If true looks like they've opened the cheque book again.:rolleyes:

I do believe you are on the money with Pearce ,but dont know about Cohen. Also confirmation on 16 men aside with three interchange,vote was 4 to 2 in favour. Start running boys you are all going to have to be at least 25% fitter than last year to be able to run out a game.Personaly I dont agree but lets hope it turns out okay,I suppose things had to change with some clubs struggleing to field seniors let alone twos.:footy::thumbsu:

Signed on tonight with Border Walwa and hoping the league is somewhere near the standard a few blokes have been telling me. Willing to try this 16 a side thing because i've never been afraid of a bit of running it's just a LOT of running that scares me a little!
Anyways good luck and we'll see you on the field in '10

well this 16 aside thing as spiced up the season abit.All I can say is that it free up the game and stop teams playing pack to pack footy. Not sure about the running part of things. If you have a good football brain you should be able to read the play. Well Walwa seem to be the team at the moment. they have picked up alot of players and I have heard a fairly handy ruckman who played at Caulfield a few years back. No other team yet to announce pick ups.Will be able to have a look at Walwa in the Wodonga pre season comp next week. Lets see how they go against Tallanagatta first off. :confused::confused:

well this 16 aside thing as spiced up the season abit.All I can say is that it free up the game and stop teams playing pack to pack footy. Not sure about the running part of things. If you have a good football brain you should be able to read the play. Well Walwa seem to be the team at the moment. they have picked up alot of players and I have heard a fairly handy ruckman who played at Caulfield a few years back. No other team yet to announce pick ups.Will be able to have a look at Walwa in the Wodonga pre season comp next week. Lets see how they go against Tallanagatta first off. :confused::confused:
Don't know if 16 a side is gunna suit the so called flag favorite B/W if they are recruiting aging blokes from Albury/Wodonga or any other clubs that are looking at recuiting old blokes from down there. Might be up to the clubs up here to get their guys fit, recruit younger blokes and promote their younger locals:)

I heard bullioh has lost a couple of its premiership players from last year??
Namely tolkin,g thomas and bradsworth any word on that??

I'll give you the tip, if Tallangatta put out even a 2nds based Team tomorrow they'll wipe Border Walwa off the face of this planet.

So the 16-a-side is a goer, lets hope it works even if it is for just one season! Interesting to see if Bullioh will slip a bit, however they're always able to get some good last minute signatures so wouldn't write them off.

Also heard Corryong may have added a bit of strength. Pearce will be a massive pickup Feds, and you'd think he'll bring a few with him.

How's cudge looking? Had some decent younger locals last year, they'll only get better if they keep them.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Upper Murray Football League (Part2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back