Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Grundy
Mcveigh
Jack
Smith
Kennedy

Grundy and Macca you'd think will call it quits at the end of the year

Jack unfortunately has not been up to it this year and now that we are "officially officially" rebuilding should get the tap on the shoulder.

Smith is an interesting one. Turns 31 soon, expiring contract this year however its the first time Injuries being an issue for him, He however was definitely showing signs of slowing down last year. We have a severe lack of true small defenders (Mills and Cunningham are not) so would he be worth a 1 year contract while we draft someone to develop them instead of throwing them in with the wolves next year?

Kennedy's contract expires in 2020, you'd think he'd go again next year and depending on how he goes, wait and see beyond that.

What are your opinions on our vets?

I would be stunned if Grundy, McVeigh and Jack didn't all retire at the end of the season.

Smith I reckon will be given another year. Until this season, he has been very durable and the coaches love him (with good reason) for how hard he works and his consistent and disciplined he is. I think he'll get another year if he wants to play on.

Kennedy is still our best midfielder and will play beyond 2020 for at least a couple more years, I suspect.

Grundy, Jack, McVeigh retire (Will one retire before mid year draft? I doubt it).
Smith 12 months
JPK possibly beyond 2020, but his body has had such a battering.

Jpk is not what he was seeing others fade makes me concerned about him but he plays next year never extend more than a year

McVeigh if he came back from injury was actually still best 22 imo

Jack should never play afl again

Grundy was looking ok early this year but he and smith bodies have decided

I’d let them all play a farewell even jack actually if he said it was his last

Grundy
Mcveigh
Jack
Smith
Kennedy

Jack unfortunately has not been up to it this year and now that we are "officially officially" rebuilding should get the tap on the shoulder.

Smith is an interesting one. Turns 31 soon, expiring contract this year however its the first time Injuries being an issue for him, He however was definitely showing signs of slowing down last year. We have a severe lack of true small defenders (Mills and Cunningham are not) so would he be worth a 1 year contract while we draft someone to develop them instead of throwing them in with the wolves next year?

Kennedy's contract expires in 2020, you'd think he'd go again next year and depending on how he goes, wait and see beyond that.

Kennedy & Smith go around again definitely.

Smith lost 44.8% of his defensive one-on-one contests last year which ranked as one of the worst defenders in the league. He hasn't played this year, and he has some work to do in the next 3 months to justify an extension

Kennedy needs to stay or we have no midfield, McVeigh absolutely deserved his spot before his injury, Grundy was OK last year but needs to return and prove fitness to justify a spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it already a done deal that McVeigh will be joining the coaching staff?
Jack looks finished, really struggled the last 3 seasons. Grundy probably goes, although his form when he does play is ok. Smith might be retained for depth, can't turf them all surely?
Kennedy has carried the team for so long, and can do what ever he wants. Still one of our best, and if he so desires, probably deserves to be carried for a year or two himself as he winds down over the next 2-3 years.

We all know that JPK is not at the peak of his career anymore. Sydney doesn't have many contributers in the midfield and he still has to be the sole work horse as everyone else is rotated through. I think he can play a few more years as a very effective rotational piece. Just need the younger guys to establish themselves to allow him the reduced run. If that happens, who knows.

Grundy
Mcveigh
Jack
Smith
Kennedy

I think you’ve summed it up well.

Smith lost 44.8% of his defensive one-on-one contests last year which ranked as one of the worst defenders in the league. He hasn't played this year, and he has some work to do in the next 3 months to justify an extension

Kennedy needs to stay or we have no midfield, McVeigh absolutely deserved his spot before his injury, Grundy was OK last year but needs to return and prove fitness to justify a spot

Spot on re Smithy. He was gone last year as you say defensive contest wise. Worse, Oppo coaches grinned when he got the ball.

Grundy - retire, play the rest of the year
McVeigh - retire, potentially play the rest of the year
Jack - retire, don't play at all
Smith - "retire", don't play at all
Kennedy - keep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back