Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer heard this before

More experience etc etc , this player better etc

Won’t cut it
need a big bodied mid on-top of all that

I think you need to try and learn from the best and have someone come in and observe the culture, meet everyone one on one, talk to the coaches, talk to the assistants. Talk to groups.

For starters what was this perfect prep they speak of in grand final week, what did they do? What did Brisbane do. From the outside we know for certain Brisbane changed the day they came down fromm 23 to 24. Maybe thats not the answer, but at least they did something.

They need an external voice to say this is great, this is complete crap, this is what other clubs are doing,

Get someone who was involved in multiple flags, Hawks 3 peat, Tigers 3, Lions 3, heck get someone from Penrith Panthers in or business world I dgaf. But do something that is clear, observable and transparent. Give the members some sort of report, stop being secretive. Stop the cagey shit around selection too all year. Don't give out all the secrets, but I would like to see more explanation around selection for instance and sub picks. Maybe others disagree, but I think the ducks and drakes we play around fitness and form is pointless.

I remember in 07 the cats started shit remember Bomber Thompson saying in public something like, There are players going through the motion who aren't showing me enough and they can just go, he was sick of it etc. The I remember Chapman I think it was saying this is the players fault and they were soft.

I think even back in our best years there been more honest accounts and less we need to be harder or we just dont know. We do know, you all played pathetic footy, just admit it.

We can get a bigger mid, or throw Adams /Mills in, get a better tall, etc etc but it wont solve fundamental flaws imo.

Never said that so no need to be smart about

He would certainly win the ball and help

But like you say the mid group definitely showed experience from 22 to 24

We've never had a midfield of Heeney, fit Mills, and Rowbottom. So I'm not sure how you can say it definitely won't work.

Closest we got was Heeney attending half the centre bounces in Rd 1 2022, with Mills and Rowy the main mids. And hey, we beat the Giants in clearances. Admittedly Florent was also key in that strangely.

I think you need to try and learn from the best and have someone come in and observe the culture, meet everyone one on one, talk to the coaches, talk to the assistants. Talk to groups.

For starters what was this perfect prep they speak of in grand final week, what did they do? What did Brisbane do. From the outside we know for certain Brisbane changed the day they came down fromm 23 to 24. Maybe thats not the answer, but at least they did something.

They need an external voice to say this is great, this is complete crap, this is what other clubs are doing,

Get someone who was involved in multiple flags, Hawks 3 peat, Tigers 3, Lions 3, heck get someone from Penrith Panthers in or business world I dgaf. But do something that is clear, observable and transparent. Give the members some sort of report, stop being secretive. Stop the cagey shit around selection too all year. Don't give out all the secrets, but I would like to see more explanation around selection for instance and sub picks. Maybe others disagree, but I think the ducks and drakes we play around fitness and form is pointless.

I remember in 07 the cats started shit remember Bomber Thompson saying in public something like, There are players going through the motion who aren't showing me enough and they can just go, he was sick of it etc. The I remember Chapman I think it was saying this is the players fault and they were soft.

I think even back in our best years there been more honest accounts and less we need to be harder or we just dont know. We do know, you all played pathetic footy, just admit it.

We can get a bigger mid, or throw Adams /Mills in, get a better tall, etc etc but it wont solve fundamental flaws imo.
The fundamental flawis structure that may be a result of not having a bigger mid

The fundamental flawis structure that may be a result of not having a bigger mid

The big flaws are the patches where we don't even have head in the game, don't man up, don't get the ball.

we can't see player weights anymore but there's some decent size in there, not enough to be as uncompetitive as our worst performances are imo.

If you have Heeney, Rowbottom, Mills, Adams going through that's pretty decent fight wise.

This grand final wasn't the result of playing against a bigger midfield.

Dunkley is a bit taller, but Neale is small. We had solid lads in there too in Rowy and Heeney.

Parker was moved in there too late. A fit Mills in there again would help, and has bonus height.

Warner only showed up late (again). Move him to half forward with mid cameos.

Bring in a mature ager sure. I think this is the best we can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back