Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

It really does depend on the severity of the hamstring strain. For a standard injury everyone says it's a 21 day recovery. Players who have suffered such an injury came straight back in after the 21 days. If it's only a partial strain he may be over it in 14 days leaving him that week of full training and testing to verify that it is ok. Other than getting over the hamstring, he is other wise as fit as he would want to be.
I'm sure he would play ONLY if he was 100% over the injury as they surely have learnt from the error of playing Sam Reid.
I trust that the medicos and Callum himself will make the decision with the interest of the team foremost in his mind.
I'd love to nod in wholehearted agreement. But I'm sceptical that a hammy can be 100% good to go <14 days after the injury occurs.

Sam Reid 2022 is still playing on my mind (and that of many others). Not to mention McVeigh years prior to that.

Not saying a Sam Reid selection clanger will happen again this year, but we don't have a great track record.

In any event - there's a prelim to worry about before we get to that!

Everyone seems to want JMac out. Sure, he had a poor game on Saturday but then again, for three quarters, he had a lot of mates. If anyone thought that he would came out on Saturday and play like the JMac of 8 weeks ago, they were kidding themselves. I think the coaching staff would have been happy with him playing for a bit over a half and getting through the game uninjured. It would have done him good knowing that the knee did not collapse on him. He will be better for it and he will be far better off having played than not. Two more weeks of serious training and we will hopefully get the old JMac back. The reality is that if we want to go all the way and win the flag we need JMac playing at his best. He is a top 10 player and replacing him with a 23 to 24th ranked player just weakens our team.

I'd love to nod in wholehearted agreement. But I'm sceptical that a hammy can be 100% good to go <14 days after the injury occurs.

Sam Reid 2022 is still playing on my mind (and that of many others). Not to mention McVeigh years prior to that.

Not saying a Sam Reid selection clanger will happen again this year, but we don't have a great track record.
very
In any event - there's a prelim to worry about before we get to that!
I'm just pointing out the fact that recovery time for a standard hamstring strain is 21 days. Recovery for a minor hamstring strain is obviously less.

Everyone seems to want JMac out. Sure, he had a poor game on Saturday but then again, for three quarters, he had a lot of mates. If anyone thought that he would came out on Saturday and play like the JMac of 8 weeks ago, they were kidding themselves. I think the coaching staff would have been happy with him playing for a bit over a half and getting through the game uninjured. It would have done him good knowing that the knee did not collapse on him. He will be better for it and he will be far better off having played than not. Two more weeks of serious training and we will hopefully get the old JMac back. The reality is that if we want to go all the way and win the flag we need JMac playing at his best. He is a top 10 player and replacing him with a 23 to 24th ranked player just weakens our team.
He's a very good player who was clearly not at full:

(a) fitness; or
(b) confidence.

In fact, his kicks reminded me of my 3-irons. Scrub along the ground for 30 yards before hitting something.

Like many have said, he can only improve - if the knee is good to go.

Hall, Kirk and Barry were our captains in 05. None of them missed.

Stuart Maxfield was Captain, then stepped down and got injured can't remember the order and we rotated the captaincy between Hall, Kirk, Barry, Jude Bolton even Ben Matthews I think 2 weeks a time , then made Hall finals captain

No. Because what happens if we cop an injury or two. We don't get to sub him off like we did against the Giants and we're then down multiple players.
You can bring up all the negative IF'S if you want. We might get 5 injuries.
What if he finds his confidence and form in the next two weeks and comes out and has 25+.

It really does depend on the severity of the hamstring strain. For a standard injury everyone says it's a 21 day recovery. Players who have suffered such an injury came straight back in after the 21 days. If it's only a partial strain he may be over it in 14 days leaving him that week of full training and testing to verify that it is ok. Other than getting over the hamstring, he is other wise as fit as he would want to be.
I'm sure he would play ONLY if he was 100% over the injury as they surely have learnt from the error of playing Sam Reid.
I trust that the medicos and Callum himself will make the decision with the interest of the team foremost in his mind.
I wish I had your same faith in Mills. He has come back from injury too quickly more than once.

If there is any doubt, I really hope he does not play, and that the call is made early so that his replacement has time to prepare.

You can bring up all the negative IF'S if you want. We might get 5 injuries.
What if he finds his confidence and form in the next two weeks and comes out and has 25+.
5 injuries isn't very probable. And that's what it's based on, probability. I'm much more confident in Campbell having enough impact to outweigh the risk of playing Jmac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid could barely move and he was selected.

Unless Mills is dead, he'll be in the gf (if we even make it).
That’s what keeps playing on my mind, I was there at that Grand Final, just like I was at the previous 2 losing ones, I just couldn’t believe we picked Reid that day, he could barely move from the word go, so yes, I really really don’t want to take any chances going in with injured players, surely it won’t happen again, I hope we have learned it just doesn’t work.

That’s what keeps playing on my mind, I was there at that Grand Final, just like I was at the previous 2 losing ones, I just couldn’t believe we picked Reid that day, he could barely move from the word go, so yes, I really really don’t want to take any chances going in with injured players, surely it won’t happen again, I hope we have learned it just doesn’t work.
Why don't we just sack everyone who's on the selection panel as they all apparently have no fu..ing idea as to what they are doing.

For this weeks Semi Finals I’m tipping Port Adelaide and GWS for the simple reason that every year people go off the Qualifying Final loser and generally they bounce back.

I did look back to see what top 4 teams have gone out in straight sets and since 2000 when we have had the current finals system there has been 12 occurrences including twice in 2014 and 2023.

From 2000-2015 before the pre finals bye was introduced there has been 5 occurrences and in the 8 years since the pre finals bye (2016-2023) there has already been 7 occurrences.

I don’t really see the point of the pre finals bye and as a fan I personally think it kills the momentum of the season.

In terms of who we face next week I think both Port and Hawthorn bring their own set of challenges, particularly Port who have a great recent record against us. Hawthorn have pulled out pants down in finals a few times but I feel like their current team plays a lot like us and I think we have the talent and experience to match them.

I think if we play Port I would bring in Fox or Adams for Mills but if it ends up being Hawthorn I’d even consider bringing in Wicks as I think he would be a good match up for some of their smallish yappy type players 😂

I wish I had your same faith in Mills. He has come back from injury too quickly more than once.

If there is any doubt, I really hope he does not play, and that the call is made early so that his replacement has time to prepare.
He is already out of the Prelim. So if it's the GF (if the Swans make it) Mill wouldn't be in the side anyway. I'm guessing you mean rule him out so there's no doubt he can come back into the team and push someone out, which looks like being Adams or Fox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back