Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I'd favour us next week against either side, but I'd much prefer playing a beat up Port than the free wheeling Hawks.

A number of Port stars looked to be playing sore tonight, so I hope they run out of gas next week!

We will need to overcome a recent slump against them, but what better time to do it?

If we bring our A game, we'll win. Time to hit peak form for 2 more matches!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Three GF losses will do that to you.

It's not disparaging their efforts to question selection or form or not barely winning a first quarter for most of the year.

3 finals losses to GWS before last week too.

Questioning & having little belief & hope are very different things though.

To each their own - half empty glasses and all. But I’ll be keeping my red & white tinted glasses on until the end this season. Something is in the air…The skies are strange.

3 finals losses to GWS before last week too.

Questioning & having little belief & hope are very different things though.

To each their own - half empty glasses and all. But I’ll be keeping my red & white tinted glasses on until the end this season. Something is in the air…The skies are strange.
I just temper my expectations - that doesn't mean I don't think we'll win. Goodness knows we're due to eventually beat Port, it most as well be in a Prelim.

I just hope we've learnt the lessons from the thrashing they gave us.

I just temper my expectations - that doesn't mean I don't think we'll win. Goodness knows we're due to eventually beat Port, it most as well be in a Prelim.

I just hope we've learnt the lessons from the thrashing they gave us.

Well here’s a few clues

1. Don’t bomb it to Allir
2. Don’t start soft and actually play 4 quarters and not 2.
3. Goal kicking has to be better

When in doubt refer to point 1, play a defensive tag on him

I am ok playing Port. They have a dominant record against us. But will be a more predictable opponent.

Hawthorn have several small forwards that would have been dangerous when the ball hit the ground in our defence. And they have a good running game and rebound when they get going.

Apart from through Rioli. Port are going to create opportunities through their midfield dominating contest, pressure and territory. So it is more about us trying to break even in midfield and our forwards being able to win their contests.

Last edited:
Well here’s a few clues

1. Don’t bomb it to Allir
2. Don’t start soft and actually play 4 quarters and not 2.
3. Goal kicking has to be better

When in doubt refer to point 1, play a defensive tag on him
When you’re down 71-0, goal kicking ain’t the problem.

Who was injured last night? I saw a few Port players in the final quarter limping off but I'm hopeless with opposition players. One player was clutching his ribs.

I hope they play Jason Horne Francis this week. He looked pretty screwed in the last three minutes with his hamstring. Hinkley needs to do his own version of Sam Reid and play him injured.

From last time they're missing two time all-Australian Houston. That'll be handy for us.

Who was injured last night? I saw a few Port players in the final quarter limping off but I'm hopeless with opposition players. One player was clutching his ribs.

I hope they play Jason Horne Francis this week. He looked pretty screwed in the last three minutes with his hamstring. Hinkley needs to do his own version of Sam Reid and play him injured.

From last time they're missing two time all-Australian Houston. That'll be handy for us.
Hopefully Dixon, would be a great in for us cos he's absolutely cooked.

There's a good case to be made for dropping Amartey and bringing in Fox as a defensive forward to try to negate Aliir. Port defense looked very vulnerable on the rebound but the Hawks lacked polish picking targets going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a good case to be made for dropping Amartey and bringing in Fox as a defensive forward to try to negate Aliir. Port defense looked very vulnerable on the rebound but the Hawks lacked polish picking targets going forward.
If you want someone purely for defensive forward pressure then surely Wicks is the right pick?

Selection will be extremely interesting this week in light of the Mills injury.

If you want someone purely for defensive forward pressure then surely Wicks is the right pick?

Wicks is suspended still and i'd put Cleary in before him anyway as he is the better play and also probably more suited to finals due to being a better contested player

Think I read that Wicks is available but think Cleary has gone past him now regardless.
The guy who wrote the article couldn't count. Wicks was suspended in the AFL equivalent of Rd 22 for 4 matches. We have since had rd23, 24 and FW1. Since we don't play in FW2 Wicks will still be suspended in FW3, but available for the GF.

There’s the ol’ “Wicks is a pressure forward” again….. which I firmly believe is a complete myth.

There is surely no way we could possibly re-consider Wicks (if the suspension is indeed over?) given what Cleary has shown.

But in any event - it’s all a moot point. Im pretty sure the only interest is:

(a) who replaces Mills; and
(b) who does Campbell replace in the starting XXII.

There’s the ol’ “Wicks is a pressure forward” again….. which I firmly believe is a complete myth.

There is surely no way we could possibly re-consider Wicks (if the suspension is indeed over?) given what Cleary has shown.

But in any event - it’s all a moot point. Im pretty sure the only interest is:

(a) who replaces Mills; and
(b) who does Campbell replace in the starting XXII.
Yep:
a) Fox
b) Campbell into the 22 and JM as sub or if he isn't up to that then Adams in i would think

Quad cramp they are saying

Based on the physio's actions on the bench, JHF was just cramping. You wouldn't stretch out a hammy like that if you were worried about damage to it, but you would if you were trying to free up a cramp. Reckon Port will go unchanged. Pretty much the only thing Dixon offers is tying up a KPD which we aren't exactly stacked with.

I'm not convinced that we weren't tanking our last match against them. At the time we were at the peak of our run of injuries to manage, a short turn around to Collingwood the next week, and a solid lead on top of the ladder with % to spare. Why give a probable finals opponent a look at our A game plan and run ourselves into the ground further.

We 100% should get the job done next Friday night.

Poor Bonz having to do 3 previews in a row. We owe him a virtual 🍺. Glad he’s well rested and had the bye week offthen the QF week off.

Yes yes Ticky009 i know we’re not in the GF yet lol.

But when we get there and when we win, we again unleash our secret weapon Bonz for next year’s final series and the one after that.

In Bonz we trust.

Based on the physio's actions on the bench, JHF was just cramping. You wouldn't stretch out a hammy like that if you were worried about damage to it, but you would if you were trying to free up a cramp. Reckon Port will go unchanged. Pretty much the only thing Dixon offers is tying up a KPD which we aren't exactly stacked with.

I'm not convinced that we weren't tanking our last match against them. At the time we were at the peak of our run of injuries to manage, a short turn around to Collingwood the next week, and a solid lead on top of the ladder with % to spare. Why give a probable finals opponent a look at our A game plan and run ourselves into the ground further.

We 100% should get the job done next Friday night.
Port have Burton to return but aside from that i don't think they will have any injury related outs. Probably will be Lorenz that drops from the sub role and Sin goes into that role

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back