Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
After an epic game against GWS we now have a week to back and await the results - out of our hands but still a lot to talk about.

1) The year that was - you're favourite moments tell us about.

2) Selection:
Once again we walked into a final with our fair share of proppy players.
Hayward went off and down into the sheds but came back on.
Campbell has a known groin problem.
McInnerney probably shouldn't have been out there. Our tall forwards drive me nuts.
Amartey rolled his ankle on Thursday & was also doubtful according to Horse.

Have at it.

Last edited:

After an epic game against GWS we now have a week to back and await the results - out of our hands but still a lot to talk about.

1) The year that was - you're favourite moments tell us about.

2) Selection:
Once again we walked into a final with our fair share of proppy players. Hayward went off and down into the sheds but came back on. Campbell has a known groin problem. McInnerney probably shouldn't have been out there. Our tall forwards drive me nuts.

Have at it.

We had about 4 players that should of not played 😅

Hayward since injuring his knee has been managed horribly lol

Rather play the Hawks but also over their media hype as much as I admire what they are doing.

So give me Port , just want to enjoy winning a final and i'll save the nerves for a fortnight.

Season highlight- Heeney, didn't think he could be this good, knew he was good but this is next level and didn't think he could do it every single week.

Selection f knows what we don't know the medical stuff .

Adams should play imo , but he also is unlikely to get 30 and kick 3 etc.

I like what a fit Jmac gives us , I'd personally be tempted to drop Amartey for Adams and probably go parker sub.

But if i bet what would horse would do I would guess no change .

Been an odd year we keep winning and keep making it harder than it feels like it should be, but then when we get going we are unstoppable, then oppo fans write us off 🤣.

I think maybe we get to the end and lift the cup still bemoaning this sides poor starts🤣

We had about 4 players that should of not played 😅

Hayward since injuring his knee has been managed horribly lol

All 8 sides probably similar, I mean coniglio could barely lift his arm

The three tall forwards don't work. You see in the 4th quarter when horse finally decide to change it and put Oli and Campbell up in the forward did we create some forward pressure and score from.

The defence look super shakey, Mccartin, Mills and Robert played horribly

If we keep this same set up we will lose to Hawks for sure

In: Cleary, Fox, Campell
Out: Amartey,Roberts, Mcinerney

The three tall forwards don't work. You see in the 4th quarter when horse finally decide to change it and put Oli and Campbell up in the forward did we create some forward pressure and score from.

The defence look super shakey, Mccartin, Mills and Robert played horribly

If we keep this same set up we will lose to Hawks for sure

In: Cleary, Fox, Campell
Out: Amartey,Roberts, Mcinerney

Wow each to their own, but harsh to ditch Roberts after his last couple of months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will wallop Brisbane if they play at todays level
Lions switched off at half time tonight. Not sure Fagan would have been super keen on the Blues scoring the last 13 goals or something of the game.

Getting the win and a fortnight to nurse any niggles is about as good as can be hoped for. Add to that a come from behind tough win to steel the confidence.

Perfect set up for the prelim.

No change in selection. Mcinerney will have another two weeks of training and he's just too good a player to not back him into form. Roberts was suspect but as mentioned above he's earned his spot and i trust him to play well.

In saying that i genuinely do feel we need to fit Adam's in somehow. still feel were not maximising our midfield and contested work without him.

One thing that is concerning to me is that lately we have just looked off in basic contested work all over the park. It looked like we were second to every ball and beaten to every spillage. We need to turn that around. Dunno what the cause is but it's sticking out like a sore thumb especially when this team has actually been pretty good in that facet.

Oh, and our defenders streak of crashing into and falling over each other continues....

I rekn we'd demolish the Hawks again so i'd prefer them. Either way, we need to pull out our scintillating, effortless best to give me confidence in a granny - and it's been a while now. We were dominating teams and waltzing to large scores, whereas atm we look like we're crawling (albeit quickly) to the finish line. Gives me the same last ditched desperate vibes of our final v carton last year, we just so happen to be in a better position now.

Wow each to their own, but harsh to ditch Roberts after his last couple of months.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Roberts as Sub, if everyone else is fit. He really struggled in the second half, like the pace of a final hit him hard. But he has runs on the board after a great couple of months, and a terrific season overall.

One thing that is concerning to me is that lately we have just looked off in basic contested work all over the park. It looked like we were second to every ball and beaten to every spillage. We need to turn that around. Dunno what the cause is but it's sticking out like a sore thumb especially when this team has actually been pretty good in that facet.
I think today looked a bit worse than it actually was because of what GWS were allowed to get away with in the first half in particular with copious amounts of holding, especially at centre bounces, but around the ground too. Grundy in particular had no influence on the contest because he was barely being allowed to move.

Assuming that we don't see as bad umpiring later on in the finals (haha big assumption I know), I think we will improve somewhat in that respect. But it is a big worry, and we won't get away with it twice more if we get trounced so hard early in the game in that respect like we did today.

OK, the elephant in the room.
Hypothesis: our first 14 games went so well because Grundy was in AA form. Since then his form has dropped very significantly and the team's with it. Hopefully we would agree on that.
I have no idea if it's injury or fatigue but his morale seems fine.
I'm hoping the coaches can find a way to improve things.
Solution?:
An article in the Mongrel Punt suggested that we are trying to use McLean around the ground to replace some of his "big man" impact. If so it doesn't appear to be working too well. Fast ball movement catches McLean out. Probably not the answer.
I'm hoping that McLean and possibly even Amartey take a bit more load to keep Grundy fresher during games but I'm not sure that's the real issue.
I thought he was a bit better tonight but he really only edged the hitouts. McInerney is probably the worst matchup for him so hopefully it will be OK against any of the others.
It isn't like he isn't doing his absolute best!
Any thoughts?

Would prefer Port. Hawks just too fast.

Smaller SCG would help us contain them and let’s be real they beat witches hats on Friday

Smaller SCG would help us contain them and let’s be real they beat witches hats on Friday
For the love god don't mention witches hats. Saw enough Hawk fans sporting those on Friday night to last me forever.

Brisbane had a 60-0 lead halfway through the 2nd quarter and just strolled for the rest of the game. Blues kicked like the last 13 goals to save some face.

That just means they took it easy in the second half that Carlton side is terrible most overrated midfield in the comp. I keep hearing Walsh is A grade well it’s been 3 years since he’s been near that. The rest are trash and Zac Williams their only half decent small forward lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back