Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it's true. I should have known most people on here wouldn't know the rules.

This is not all about the Bulldogs. But the fact is their whole game plan is based on cheating the rules, not so much about getting away with little things here and there.

So why have the "Western Bulldogs" in the title?

Ok, if you won't take Western Bulldogs out of the title, at least put the apostrophe in the right place.

A lot of inside mids do that to get a clearance.

Its not like those devilish fiends in red white and blue are the only inside mids that scoop a ball out of a pack and don't legitimately "punch" the handpass to their teammate with force every single time. The fact that you're implying that's the case is absolute nonsense.

Grow up.

My gripe on GF day was the sliding rule that went out the door.

MUv68OR.gif

Wake up Jeff! Plugger has been crapping on about this for months now. You are not only delusional but totally unoriginal.
Wake up Jeff!
Plugger has been crapping on
Wake up Jeff!
About this for months
Wake up Jeff!
Now you are not only delusional
Wake up Jeff!
But totally unoriginal!

I personally hate it.

Players are trained to release the ball when it suits and to hold it in when it doesn't. And all clubs do it. It is a blight on the game.

The rules should be dead simple;
  1. To dispose of the ball you need to handball it (with a closed fist) or kick it.
    • If you drop it it is a free kick to the opposition
    • If you lay it on the ground it is a free kick to the opposition
    • If it spills free it is a free kick to the opposition - players should be responsible for ball security.
  2. If you hold onto the ball but had no prior opportunity to dispose it then it is a ball up
  3. If you hold onto the ball and did have prior opportunity to dispose of it then it is a free kick to the opposition.
So all an umpire has to decide is if they hold onto it was their prior? And if they disposed of it did they handball or kick it.

It is that simple.
In addition to that, the umpire has to be in the correct position to have a clear view. He is not going to make a decision based on an assumption.

An umpire isn't going to award a free kick for an illegal disposal if he is only 99% sure if it was illegal. Benefit of the doubt has to go to the player in possession of the ball.

I personally hate it.

Players are trained to release the ball when it suits and to hold it in when it doesn't. And all clubs do it. It is a blight on the game.

The rules should be dead simple;
  1. To dispose of the ball you need to handball it (with a closed fist) or kick it.
    • If you drop it it is a free kick to the opposition
    • If you lay it on the ground it is a free kick to the opposition
    • If it spills free it is a free kick to the opposition - players should be responsible for ball security.
  2. If you hold onto the ball but had no prior opportunity to dispose it then it is a ball up
  3. If you hold onto the ball and did have prior opportunity to dispose of it then it is a free kick to the opposition.
So all an umpire has to decide is if they hold onto it was their prior? And if they disposed of it did they handball or kick it.

It is that simple.

It's not that simple, unless you want everyone to sit on the outside, waiting to tackle the player ballsy/stupid enough to win the ball.

(Clarko wouldn't agree, Bev would).

Bulldogs supporters have been talking up how awesome their team is all off season and how Boyd has answered his critics but there are already signs that their team isn't as great as they think it is after a couple of pre-season losses where the umpires haven't given them their usual armchair ride and Boyd is still a potato going goalless in both games.

I suspect that's why Bulldogs supporters are so sensitive to any criticism of their premiership win as deep down they know they were very lucky to win it and could fall back into the pack if they don't receive the same sort of umpiring advantage they got last year.

It's not that simple, unless you want everyone to sit on the outside, waiting to tackle the player ballsy/stupid enough to win the ball.

Prior opportunity deals with this.

And players like Sam Mitchell in his prime would be more than happy for the entire league to stand a metre or two off him.

Prior opportunity deals with this.

And players like Sam Mitchell in his prime would be more than happy for the entire league to stand a metre or two off him.

I'm still remembering Clarko's last gracious post match presser -100 Tackles For three frees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu:We aren't going to agree on much but you're spot on this time. Strongly suspect it's a fluke though. Think Clarkson might agree with time to reflect, he's a smart dude.

It is a fact that tacking rarely gets rewarded.

It's a fact that most people who enjoy watching AFL don't watch it for the tackling.

Tackle happy lovers and watchers are catered to by rugby.

I'm not surprised that this ended up moved to the Bay; I truly am not.

I think it's difficult to say that it's built on a lie because the record books show that the Bulldogs won the 2016 Premiership.

In saying that, the OP makes the point that the rules surrounding the disposal of the ball has a lot of grey areas and this is something I cannot disagree with because there are a lot of areas that can be exploited.

The problem I have is the hyprocrisy that surrounds such a discussion.

Let's look at the reality.

The reality is that in 2016 it seemed to me that the Bulldogs were umpired differently compared to other teams and especially in the PF and GF, I was left wanting to vomit at the bias that the umpires were giving them. I honestly cannot believe that a team can be umpired in such a manner and I would love it if my team was umpired in a similar manner (this is unlikely to ever happen).

What I find incredible is that when an interstate team is treated in such a way, there is uproar and fury from here to Timbuktu however if Victorian teams are treated in such a kind way, no-one says a work and it's like a dirty secret.

Everyone says that the Bulldogs premiership win gives supporters of teams who haven't won a flag for ages (or ever in Freo's case) hope that they too can win a flag but the reality is that I actually feel disillusioned.

My team is umpired routinely like crap; we don't get away with the incorrect disposals that other teams do; we don't get the free kicks for high tackles and holding that other teams do.

The Bulldogs were the best team in September last year but what I still maintain is that the PF and GF left a very sour taste in my mouth and actually took me back to Bulldogs vs Freo games in 2014 and 2015 where Freo won both games but got reamed by the umpires in a manner that has never been seen before. The problem is no-one said a word because Freo won but the principle of the matter is that some teams are treated differently to others.

In response to the topic of the OP; the lie isn't that the Bulldogs won the premiership, the lie in my opinion is that umpires refuse to acknowledge the fact that they do umpire with certain biases.

Last edited:
laying balls off to passing teammates, placing the ball on the ground for someone else to take whatever..
neither of these actions are against the rules if the player isn't being tackled. I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

Id rather see this sort of tactic in our game over the player being wrapped in a tackle which forces a ball up.

I think it's difficult to say that it's built on a lie because the record books show that the Bulldogs won the 2016 Premiership.

In saying that, the OP makes the point that the rules surrounding the disposal of the ball has a lot of grey areas and this is something I cannot disagree with because there are a lot of areas that can be exploited.

The reality is that in 2016 it seemed to me that the Bulldogs were umpired differently compared to other teams and especially in the PF and GF, I was left wanting to vomit at the bias that the umpires were giving them. I honestly cannot believe that a team can be umpired in such a manner and I would love it if my team was umpired in a similar manner (this is unlikely to ever happen).

What I find incredible is that when an interstate team is treated in such a way, there is uproar and fury from here to Timbuktu however if Victorian teams are treated in such a kind way, no-one says a work and it's like a dirty secret.

Everyone says that the Bulldogs premiership win gives supporters of teams who haven't won a flag for ages (or ever in Freo's case) hope that they too can win a flag but the reality is that I actually feel disillusioned.

My team is umpired routinely like crap; we don't get away with the incorrect disposals that other teams do; we don't get the free kicks for high tackles and holding that other teams do.

The Bulldogs were the best team in September last year but what I still maintain is that the PF and GF left a very sour taste in my mouth and actually took me back to Bulldogs vs Freo games in 2014 and 2015 where Freo won both games but got reamed by the umpires in a manner that has never been seen before. The problem is no-one said a word because Freo won but the principle of the matter is that some teams are treated differently to others.

5/5, would fap to this again.

5/5, would fap to this again.

I assume you're relating to sour grapes somehow but that is further from the truth.

I think there needs to be a discussion surrounding the inconsistencies from game to game or team to team.

Simplifying the rules and eliminating the grey areas is one such way but the team to team differences and even player to player is a real concern in my eyes.

I assume you're relating to sour grapes somehow but that is further from the truth.

I think there needs to be a discussion surrounding the inconsistencies from game to game or team to team.

Simplifying the rules and eliminating the grey areas is one such way but the team to team differences and even player to player is a real concern in my eyes.
A Ross Lyon coached team should never be given the rub of the green again after what the Saints got away with in 2009.

A Ross Lyon coached team should never be given the rub of the green again after what the Saints got away with in 2009.

Well I digress because I believe all players and teams should be treated on their merits when it comes to each incident.

The problem is umpires are going into games with preconceived notions and biases which is unacceptable.

In response to the topic of the OP; the lie isn't that the Bulldogs won the premiership, the lie in my opinion is that umpires refuse to acknowledge the fact that they do umpire with certain biases.

I assume you're not blaming the Dogs for any of this...

Remove this Banner Ad

Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back