Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Proved your point that dogs fans aren't all little darlings? How shattering :) Not sure if you spend more time derailing threads with snide remarks or complaining about dogs fans derailing threads. Anyway I'm off, have fun :)
Take a snipe and run away? Sounds about right.

Oh it's you! You've got great form for reading our list, don't you? Such a great read of each of the dogs players.

Why don't you remind us what you thought of the dogs list two years ago?

Happily. At the start of 2015 I thought what the vast majority of people thought at the time, that the Dogs list was in trouble and not looking like having much success in the near future.

But Beveridge has proven to be an amazing coach, and he invented a very successful gameplan that suits the list he's had at his disposal like a glove.

I'm not saying that you don't have a good list relative to the competition, but it's not at the same level as past top teams of the competition imo, it's more of a middle of the road list, but that has been enhanced by you guys having probably the best tactical coach in the game.

2 years ago Bevo was an unknown, but he's proven to be a master coach in a short space of time.

Happily. At the start of 2015 I thought what the vast majority of people thought at the time, that the Dogs list was in trouble and not looking like having much success in the near future.

But Beveridge has proven to be an amazing coach, and he invented a very successful gameplan that suits the list he's had at his disposal like a glove.

I'm not saying that you don't have a good list relative to the competition, but it's not at the same level as past top teams of the competition imo, it's more of a middle of the road list, but that has been enhanced by you guys having probably the best tactical coach in the game.

2 years ago Bevo was an unknown, but he's proven to be a master coach in a short space of time.

Lol that isn't what you said. You said we have "one of the worst lists I've ever seen" that all of our young players bar Bont are "plodders", and that we were worse than Melbourne 2012! Most people were justified in their opinions. You were and are not. You've absolutely no clue.

If you'll indulge me perhaps we could look at a few direct quotes? I'll not engage in such humiliation without your permission of course.

The bloke is a fool MD, I wouldn't bother. He essentially said we had by far the worst list in the AFL in 2015 and that we were in for a long time down the bottom. Much stronger claims than anyone justifiably predicting we would do poorly that year to the extent where he called all of our promising young players terrible.

Cognitive dissonance running so strong that it persists a couple of years later. Even a premiership can't change the deeply held stupidity.

Geez you're bitter, holy hell! Let it go already! :eek:

I happily own up to the fact that I didn't think the Dogs list was great at the start of 2015, but what you seem to forget is that pretty much everybody (including most of your own) held a similar opinion about your list during that time.

FWIW, after I saw your gameplan tear the Eagles apart in the first EF of 2016, I had you as my tip to win the flag, when most saw your path to the premiership as still very improbable. So swings and roundabouts I guess!

I think while Bevo's your coach, you'll always be competitive, but at the same time I also feel like your list is limited, and your gameplan is a very taxing one that can't allow you to drop off your intensity.

A team like the Hawks had the footskills and the pure talent to have a poor day intensity wise, but still get the win purely on talent alone and going through the motions. I just don't think the Bulldogs have that same luxury, if you're not playing on the edge, your skills bring you back to the pack and you don't stand out as much.

Lol that isn't what you said. You said we have "one of the worst lists I've ever seen" that all of our young players bar Bont are "plodders", and that we were worse than Melbourne 2012! Most people were justified in their opinions. You were and are not. You've absolutely no clue.

I said that in a moment of frustration after we lost to you in Round 3 of that 2015 year, have you never been hyperbolic when you've been annoyed at losing a game you expected to win comfortably? I've already said 100 times that I was being stupid when I made those claims, but again in the heat of frustration, we all say stupid things sometimes.

If you're going to hold that against me and assume that because I made a few poorly judged statements, that every single thing I say from then on must also be crap, well that's a logical fallacy mate. Look at the points I'm making here on their own merit, rather than using confirmation bias and dismissing them because I said something silly in the past, at a time of genuine frustration.

Also, my posts after that little blow up were a fair bit more reasonable than that, but that was never acknowledged.

Have you seriously hung onto that for 2 years though? That's crazy long for something somebody said on an internet forum man.

Geez you're bitter, holy hell! Let it go already! :eek:

I happily own up to the fact that I didn't think the Dogs list was great at the start of 2015, but what you seem to forget is that pretty much everybody (including most of your own) held a similar opinion about your list during that time.

Incorrect. Shall we take a trip down memory lane? Even your fellow supporters were embarrassed by your nonsense, such was its inaccuracy (amusing in its way).

What's particularly good about it is that it is consistent with your current line of reasoning.

You said to bookmark it, that's what happens when you ask for it!

Incorrect. Shall we take a trip down memory lane? Even your fellow supporters were embarrassed by your nonsense, such was its inaccuracy (amusing in its way).

What's particularly good about it is that it is consistent with your current line of reasoning.

Rather than bringing up the past, why don't you just address the point I've made here instead?

I have a huge amount of respect for what the Bulldogs achieved in 2016, all I'm saying is, I don't think it was done with a list that has as much pure talent as previous premiership and top teams, but I feel that it was the gameplan Bevo put in place and the buy-in he's got from the entire group that is largely to thank for having this success.

Let me ask you this question - if Macca was still the coach of this current list, do you think they'd have won the flag last year?

So are you suggesting that if somebody says something that ends up being incorrect at some point in the future, that they're always incorrect about everything they say forever? :oops:

Wow. Doesn't take long for threads on the main board to go to the sh!t - only 10 hrs old!

FWIW, I think the incorrect disposal issue is something that desperately needs to be addressed. But to suggest it won the Bulldogs a flag is a nonsense. Heaps of teams do it. From what I saw, which admittedly is not heaps of non-North games, the worst team is actually the Swans - the Bulldogs GF opponent.

Last edited:
Rather than bringing up the past, why don't you just address the point I've made here instead?

I have a huge amount of respect for what the Bulldogs achieved in 2016, all I'm saying is, I don't think it was done with a list that has as much pure talent as previous premiership and top teams, but I feel that it was the gameplan Bevo put in place and the buy-in he's got from the entire group that is largely to thank for having this success.

Let me ask you this question - if Macca was still the coach of this current list, do you think they'd have won the flag last year?

I remember when people like you used to say that Terry Wallace was a genius. Then he went to a rabble club and he wasn't a genius any more. Weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said that in a moment of frustration after we lost to you in Round 3 of that 2015 year, have you never been hyperbolic when you've been annoyed at losing a game you expected to win comfortably? I've already said 100 times that I was being stupid when I made those claims, but again in the heat of frustration, we all say stupid things sometimes.

If you're going to hold that against me and assume that because I made a few poorly judged statements, that every single thing I say from then on must also be crap, well that's a logical fallacy mate. Look at the points I'm making here on their own merit, rather than using confirmation bias and dismissing them because I said something silly in the past, at a time of genuine frustration.

Also, my posts after that little blow up were a fair bit more reasonable than that, but that was never acknowledged.

Have you seriously hung onto that for 2 years though? That's crazy long for something somebody said on an internet forum man.

The other way to look at it is that you made such a monumental dick of yourself that people still remember and laugh about it 2 years later...

You're somewhat of a legend on the Dogs board. Tales of your foresight are passed down from generation to generation. You should feel honoured.

The other way to look at it is that you made such a monumental dick of yourself that people still remember and laugh about it 2 years later...

No worries, I understand that, it was a pretty epic melt all things considered.

Everybody says dumb shit on occasions, and I've owned what I said and admitted it was silly. If you guys feel the need to keep flogging the dead horse every time I post in a thread about the Dogs, that's your right I guess, but I'm not losing sleep over it! I just wanna talk about footy and have a good time, it's only the internet after all! :p

Back onto the thread topic, and I'll ask again - do you guys think Brendan McCartney and his game plan would have won the Dogs a premiership in 2016 with this same list?

While Clarkson is a master coach, I feel like that Hawks team of the past 4-5 years would have been pretty successful even under a lesser coach simply due to the amount of talent they had on the list and their ability to use the ball so well by foot, and same goes for the amazing Cats teams of the late 00's.

Does the Dogs list, in your opinion, stack up to the lists of those consistently high-placing teams?

Last edited:
Is he Dahlhaus and a pick for Vickery guy?
You better believe it. To be fair, he did offer pick 14 or so with Vickery. But also our 2nd going with Dahl. But still. Vickery. Eww.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meltdown The Western Bulldog's success is built on a lie (Trigger Warning)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back