The wooden spoon needs the attention it deserves

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not too different to 15th usually though..every year there's 15 teams who = epic fail

personally I can recall the wooden spooners dating back to about 1991 so thats shame enuff

Should the league be no salary cap, no draft etc. then each club will need to own their own stadium, or rent one out.

Why?

Right now we have the worst deal with TD in which would mean where west coast generate x amount of money for 40k at subi, we make x/4 for the same attedance. If there is no salary cap, this would be turned on its head.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What on Earth are you trying to say?

Above all that, we have rich supporters in which would mean we would be able to afford to pay our player the most. Dick Pratt (and his friends) alone would fund more than any other team combine can be able to fund.

Assuming rich friends last forever. John Elliot used to be rich.

And with promotion and relegation, the weaker teams will drop to lower level comp, allowing for an increase in support for the bigger club, and hence just on that alone, teams like Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon would only grow. And because initially we would be better of (again this is going back to stadium and rich people at the club), we would win more as we'd spend more on players and not paying ground hire... which would win us more games, more flags and hence more fans.

So if my team was relegated, I would support someone else? Carlton? Why would I do that? No one I know would. Your fantasy land assumes that a whole lot of stars are going to align perfectly for just a few clubs. Your dream sounds like 1986.

An economics study? There was a reason the VFL was broke, you tool.

So since the salary cap we've got:

Hawthorn 5 (5 flags, 0 spoons)
Essendon 3 (3 flags, 0 spoons)
West Coast 3 (3 flags, 0 spoons)
Brisbane Lions 2 (3 flags, 1 spoon)
Adelaide 2 (2 flags, 0 spoons)
Kangaroos 2 (2 flags, 0 spoons)
Geelong 1 (1 flag, 0 spoons)
Port Adelaide 1 (1 flag, 0 spoons)
Collingwood 0 (1 flag, 1 spoon)
Carlton -1 (2 flags, 3 spoons)
Fremantle -1 (0 flags, 1 spoon)
Western Bulldogs -1 (0 flags, 1 spoon)
Brisbane Bears -2 (0 flags, 2 spoons)
Fitzroy - 2 (0 flags, 2 spoons)
Melbourne -2 (0 flags, 2 spoons)
Sydney -3 (1 flag, 4 spoons)
Richmond -4 (0 flags, 4 spoons)
St Kilda -4 (0 flags, 4 spoons)

Either my maths is out or your figures were winty, Flags add up to 24 and Spoons to 25....

Obviously that list is very black and white, doesn't take into consideration making Grand Finals or missing out on finals altogether; more recently, finishing top 4 or bottom 4.

I was out mate. Gave the Swans an extra spoon. :eek:

If you include South Melbourne it becomes 4 flags 11 spoons (could be 10 spoons)

I meant I added an extra one to their tally in the period since the salary cap came in. They'd only 'won' three spoons since then, but I had said they had four.

Get rid of the salary cap and Carlton and Collingwood would be winning flag after flag, I like the idea of Carlton winning them but not Collingwood.

I don't know about that. Carlton can't even win flags when they ignore the salary cap rules.

As for the spoon. It's only worth a mention when Carlton wins it. They'll have more spoons than flags soon. :p

create a second league, with relegation.

Get rid of the Draft. and salary cap.

I think that will stop tanking and make the league more competitive from 3-16 (Adelaide and West Coast 1 and 2)

Watch audience numbers plummet = TV income slashed good bye billion dollars.

Sponsors will only be interested in sponsoring the big clubs that have the money to stay up = Only about 4 teams will win the premiership for the next 50 years.

Exciting young players will only go to clubs that can pay them the money = level of competition decreases thus viewer enjoyment decreases. No competition.

Your plan sounds good. If you want to kill the game.

Watch audience numbers plummet = TV income slashed good bye billion dollars.

Sponsors will only be interested in sponsoring the big clubs that have the money to stay up = Only about 4 teams will win the premiership for the next 50 years.

Exciting young players will only go to clubs that can pay them the money = level of competition decreases thus viewer enjoyment decreases. No competition.

Your plan sounds good. If you want to kill the game.

Completely agree. Just look at the English premier league, its the same sides who win all the time. Look at the recent history of football, so many different winners, which is good for the game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The salary cap and drafting must stay the same for an equitible competition. West Coast are filthy rich, have virtually our whole stadium full of members and 15,000 odd in a queue waiting to become members. Not to many teams, if any, could compete against the Eagles in a free market competition.

The salary cap and drafting must stay the same for an equitible competition. West Coast are filthy rich, have virtually our whole stadium full of members and 15,000 odd in a queue waiting to become members. Not to many teams, if any, could compete against the Eagles in a free market competition.

That is true but why do teams not feel the shame of the wooden spoon? After all there is no worse feat in AFL footy than finishing on the bottom.

with the premeirship club getting the gold background on the afl logo on their guernsey, perhaps the spooners should get a black background, therefore having to wear the shame on their jumper for 12 months. that'd have to provide some hurt for proud clubs down the bottom.

I was out mate. Gave the Swans an extra spoon. :eek:

Sweating the small stuff here... but didn't Fitzroy merge with Brisbane?
Not sure why there are seperate records for:
Brisbane Lions
Fitzroy
Brisbane Bears

Its 0011. I probably should go to sleep. But MGMT are on the ABC now. Anyway ...

Thinking about ways to bring attention to the spoon.

Maybe a fine system would bring the wooden spoon the attention it deserves.

Placing 16th at the end of the home and away season will see you fined say $500 000.
Placing 15th - $375 000.
Placing 13th and 14th - $250 000.

And then what about

The 1st placed team (at the end of home and away season) receiving the $500 000 as reward (y'know for finishing 1st) in an official big cheque handover ceremony (by the teams captains) for all the public to see :p
The 2nd placed team receiving $375 000 etc etc.

Ah whatever...:confused:

Yeah that is interesting that in over 20 years only one club has managed to make the great climb all the way back up, it certainly makes it look like it has some lasting psychological effect or something.

good luck carlton, richmond and melbourne then
(and thank jebus we didn't get it in 08)

Why?

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What on Earth are you trying to say?

Assuming rich friends last forever. John Elliot used to be rich.

So if my team was relegated, I would support someone else? Carlton? Why would I do that? No one I know would. Your fantasy land assumes that a whole lot of stars are going to align perfectly for just a few clubs. Your dream sounds like 1986.

An economics study? There was a reason the VFL was broke, you tool.
how doesn't make sense. If no salary cap and relegation/promotion is introduced, Carlton will not play at the venue they are forced to play in by the AFL and instead play at our very own venue where we dont need 30k to break even. Right now West Coast and Fremantle have the best deal with their stadium with subi... should salary cap / promotion/relegation be introduced, they will continue to pay the rent for subi... while we pay nothing for out ground... hence we make more... you understand now?

What people struggle to understand is, as soon as regulation and promotion/demotion is introduced, the AFL cannot inforce rules on club administrations as they do now. Clubs would have to work out their own stadium deals or if they want to own their own stadium. All the AFL would do is organise the comp and no more

lol...Dick Pratt alone would have more money than the other 15 clubs put together... and not to speak of his "friends" at in one dinner gathered $2million in an instance.

This is what proves you are an idiot. Explain why there are so many 80s hawthorn supporters??? it because the kids/teens/new afl lovers that grew up/lived through the 80s jumped on the most successful team. I'm not saying for existing supporters to jump ship, i'm saying for the new breed.

I know this is all hard for you to comprehend, so i'll give you a couple of hours...

and to the geelong person... who cares where we were in our dark days? we had the worst administration and carlton's biggest (money wise) supporters were against the administration. As soon as they got the boot, the old boys came back. Ian Collins used carlton for his own benefit as much as he can. Being the president of TD you would think he'd work out a good deal for carlton... instead he got rid of our beloved OO and signed us up to the worst imaginary deal.

create a second league, with relegation.

Get rid of the Draft. and salary cap.

I think that will stop tanking and make the league more competitive from 3-16 (Adelaide and West Coast 1 and 2)

stupid idea,

1. there is no evidence that tanking exists
2. relegation systems are what really holds back the financial stability of those leagues that have them. given their choice they would abandon them.

neither West Coast, Fremantle or Adeliade or Essendon own a football stadium that can hold a reasonable footy attendance

Should the league be no salary cap, no draft etc. then each club will need to own their own stadium, or rent one out. This is why Carlton would generate much much more money than those 4 teams.

Right now we have the worst deal with TD in which would mean where west coast generate x amount of money for 40k at subi, we make x/4 for the same attedance. If there is no salary cap, this would be turned on its head.

If there is no salary and we sit initially in a better position than most team, we can then upgrade OO even further to accomadate more people.

Plus we have one of the best sponsorship deal than most club (hawthorn and Collingwood) better than us. however if relegation/promotion is to come in, Hawthorn's major sponsor will be gone.

Above all that, we have rich supporters in which would mean we would be able to afford to pay our player the most. Dick Pratt (and his friends) alone would fund more than any other team combine can be able to fund.

And with promotion and relegation, the weaker teams will drop to lower level comp, allowing for an increase in support for the bigger club, and hence just on that alone, teams like Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon would only grow. And because initially we would be better of (again this is going back to stadium and rich people at the club), we would win more as we'd spend more on players and not paying ground hire... which would win us more games, more flags and hence more fans.

Enjoy the economic study boys and girls, the test in next week (closed book)

i think you'd be better off taking a few more classes before you look to teach others about economics.

you'd fail my class ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

The wooden spoon needs the attention it deserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back