The Worsfold coaching situation mega-thread, part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well then Priddis is miles and miles ahead of Ebert then.

Priddis may be better than Ebert in the clearances - although the gap is closing as time goes on IMO - but he is definitely more of a liability around the ground.

Neither are great though, which is why I agree ideally we would only have one of them running around.

Eagles are playing an outdated game, too tall, inflexible, and without enough forward pressure. Skill level is at times atrocious, and doesn't appear to have improved.

Seems fair enough to me. We are the land of the giants who have no skill what so ever with the football.

Not only that, it makes it sound like the article is all about Harvey, when it's meant to be a look at all 16 coaches. Just deadline journalism clutching for a semi-interesting headline imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see there are no calls for Bailey's head this week in the media.

Looking at the clubs 4th straight finals miss, 3rd under Bailey - just got trounced by the equal bottom side with nigh on 20 less scoring shots?

Have had a swag of low picks and somehow the kids aren't delivering.

Perhaps they should look to turn over the list again and start once more?

Looking at the clubs 4th straight finals miss, 3rd under Bailey - just got trounced by the equal bottom side with nigh on 20 less scoring shots?

Firstly, Melbourne might have lost this week but they are not contending for a spoon and getting flogged every second week like us and they have shown marked improvement this year.

Secondly, Adelaide are not a bottom side. They have finished in the top 4 for the last several years. They lost games earlier this year because they had literally half their squad injured. That is really stretching reality to call them a bottom side and suggest beating them in Adelaide is easy. Fremantle have won in Melbourne multiple times this season aswell as Sydney and Brisbane. How did they go against this "bottom side"?

Thirdly, Melbourne deliberately tanked for the last few years at the direction of the administration. They wanted picks and they were prepared to take wooden spoons to get them. Bailey was directly instructed to bottom the club out and get picks. The club isn't then going to turn around and sack him for it are they? Our bad results over the last few years are not the result of tanking. We were actually trying. Thats the scary thing.

Fourthly, we might have a fair bit of youth in our side now because Worsfold has recently caved to popular opinion and realises that if he wants to keep hiding behind the "youth" excuse he needs to actually have a really young team to pull it off. But if you want to look at things over a 3 year period Melbourne have been fielding much younger sides than us.

Fifthly, Melbourne are broke. They can't afford to pay out a senior coach even if they wanted to. Nor can they afford to hire an experienced coach. We are obviously not struggling for money.

Seems fair enough to me. We are the land of the giants who have no skill what so ever with the football.

Yeah, it's no different to what a lot of people have been saying here. The team is far too tall (which leads to a lack of pressure, particularly in our gigantic forward line and a general loss of run around the ground late in the game. How many times have we led during the third quarter and lost?), and Woosha's structures are way too inflexible:

John Worsfold, says one contemporary, ''just doesn't coach in the modern style''. ''All that rolling back and helping the defenders, he just refuses to do it''.
Yep. What's really frustrating that that occasionally he does show some flexibility in this area, and then inexplicably stops. So maybe it's less Woosha and more the player's showing some initiative? For example, 2006 Grand Final, Wirrpanda constantly got in front of Hall and stopped his run at the ball. Hall had a shocker. Fast forward to the game against Richmond this year, I counted Waters getting in front of Reiwoldt the way Wirrpanda did against Hall three times and three times Waters marked the ball. Far too often though Reiwoldt was allowed a clear run at the ball. Why!? :confused:

On the plus/positive thinking side: Didn't Freo set a record last year for the most times in a season to be leading at 3 quarter time before going on to lose? Look at where Freo are now. How many times have we led at three quarter time or during the third quarter but lost this year? I count the games against Brisbane, Port, Freo, Geelong, St Kilda off the top of my head. Were there any others? Maybe a better season is just around the corner... :)

Firstly, Melbourne might have lost this week but they are not contending for a spoon and getting flogged every second week like us and they have shown marked improvement this year.

Secondly, Adelaide are not a bottom side. They have finished in the top 4 for the last several years. They lost games earlier this year because they had literally half their squad injured. That is really stretching reality to call them a bottom side and suggest beating them in Adelaide is easy. Fremantle have won in Melbourne multiple times this season aswell as Sydney and Brisbane. How did they go against this "bottom side"?

Thirdly, Melbourne deliberately tanked for the last few years at the direction of the administration. They wanted picks and they were prepared to take wooden spoons to get them. Bailey was directly instructed to bottom the club out and get picks. The club isn't then going to turn around and sack him for it are they? Our bad results over the last few years are not the result of tanking. We were actually trying. Thats the scary thing.

Fourthly, we might have a fair bit of youth in our side now because Worsfold has recently caved to popular opinion and realises that if he wants to keep hiding behind the "youth" excuse he needs to actually have a really young team to pull it off. But if you want to look at things over a 3 year period Melbourne have been fielding much younger sides than us.

Fifthly, Melbourne are broke. They can't afford to pay out a senior coach even if they wanted to. Nor can they afford to hire an experienced coach. We are obviously not struggling for money.

As much as my post was a joke - i'll play

Point 1) - we aren't getting flogged every couple of weeks. We've had a poor run the past 2 weeks - prior to that we were largely being over-run in the last and with the previous 5 games showing some good signs with strong performances against St Kilda and Geelong.

Point 2) - how did Brisbane who won a final last year go against the bottom side that in Richmond? Who have won 3 out of 4 games - including 2 away from home.

Point 3) Sure Melbourne may have tanked - how's they go the two years before and this year where they have had as many 6+ goal losses as us? (4 for those playing at home)

Point 4) Worsfold has gone younger the last month, infact premiership players in the team have gone from 9 at the start of the year to 4 the last 2 weeks - and look at the results - our two worst performances of the year. Not that I'm saying I have an issue with it, just point out the facts.

Point 5) Yes & No. No in so much that they can't afford it. But Yes is so much that his contract finished this year and they chose to extend it this year - so Yes, they could have got rid of him if they wanted without financial penalty.

And - for any Demons supporters - i'm not calling for Bailey's sacking

Adelaide will be much better from here on. At least Melbourne are on the incline, we on the other have gone backwards a lot. Their kids in Trengove, Grimes, Scully, Frawley, Jetta are delivering more collectively than our kids at this stage.

I know you are a massive Worsfold fan and think the sun shines out of his deluded arseh*le, but at what point would you, personally start worrying? If not now, when????

Yeah, it's no different to what a lot of people have been saying here. The team is far too tall (which leads to a lack of pressure, particularly in our gigantic forward line and a general loss of run around the ground late in the game. How many times have we led during the third quarter and lost?), and Woosha's structures are way too inflexible:

I'm a big believer we have been too tall as well - however thinking about it further - who else do we play there that isn't tall?

Assuming Mitch Brown and Q Lynch get the lemon and sars - who replaces them?

Everyone moans if Swift, Masten etc play anywhere other than on-ball?

Neates, Broome, Weedon aren't ready yet - though Neates getting close - Strijk has come in already - so who replaces the 2 blokes up front?

JON whilst not being poor - hasn't be knocking the door down.

Ash Hams is probably one, but as much as I like the guy and wouldn't mind seeimng him persisted with - he kicked 1 goal in 6 games.

If we accept that we need 6 forwards in addition to the resting ruckman - Le Cras, Kennedy, McKinley, Strijk...

The cupboard is bare at the minute for smaller forwards - unless we play midfielders there or whipping boys like Embley and Nicoski.

I know you are a massive Worsfold fan and think the sun shines out of his deluded arseh*le, but at what point would you, personally start worrying? If not now, when????

I'm actually far from it - and if you asked me should we extend his contract - my answer is 'hell no'.

My view is fairly pragmatic - he was given a timeframe (in his contract) to start delivering results - that timeframe isn't up yet - so let him see out his contract.

Point 4) Worsfold has gone younger the last month, infact premiership players in the team have gone from 9 at the start of the year to 4 the last 2 weeks - and look at the results - our two worst performances of the year. Not that I'm saying I have an issue with it, just point out the facts.

Kind of delaying the inevitable don't you think. Can't defend him after he's made rediculas claims regarding our medium term future, he's refused to take the hit that was always going to come.

Better to be losing by 50 points and playing the kids than losing by 20-30 by playing all exerience.

Our ladder position isnt a true reflection of our ability or potential, it's an indercation of where we are at in our development cycle and the depth of our list.

Sarcasm?

We have score group of you midfielders that need to be played at all costs and refined over time. List stagnation is what got us into this mess.

Kind of delaying the inevitable don't you think. Can't defend him after he's made rediculas claims regarding our medium term future, he's refused to take the hit that was always going to come.

Better to be losing by 50 points and playing the kids than losing by 20-30 by playing all exerience.

Our ladder position isnt a true reflection of our ability or potential, it's an indercation of where we are at in our development cycle and the depth of our list.

I agree - his claims, whether the club believes them or not didn't serve any good whatsoever.

There's been plenty of times clubs have climbed from a low ebb to rise very quickly - Freo and Hawthorn in recent years have shown that. Brisbane won the spoon 2 years before their first flag.

I don't necessarily agree with the 'playing the kids' at all costs mentality. If people disagree with Woosha's comments about attempting to be in the top clubs in a few years times - why haven't they called for the heads of Glass, Cox and Kerr? Why not drop them and play all the kids.

I think play the kids that are ready to be played - and by in large we have done that.

I've stated this a few times, and i may be in fairy land - but i'm reasonably happy with the devlopment of our squad with the exception of the midfield.

In my mind the likes of Masten, Shuey, Stevens, Kerr, Swift, Ebert form the core nucleus of our midfield brigade going forward - with the likes of Pridds & Selwood being the support grunt.

However for most of the year that core group has been missing and we are unable get games into them together as a group - and haven't got to see them develop as a group. This is where i hold out hope.

Edit: Just on the point about list stagnation - as an example - Melbourne removed 7 players from their list (not incl rookies)- including re-rookieing 2 of them. They drafted one senior player.

We turned over 7 players, didn't re-rookie any of them and took 1 senior player.

I'm a big believer we have been too tall as well - however thinking about it further - who else do we play there that isn't tall?

If we accept that we need 6 forwards in addition to the resting ruckman - Le Cras, Kennedy, McKinley, Strijk...

The cupboard is bare at the minute for smaller forwards - unless we play midfielders there or whipping boys like Embley and Nicoski.

Well, I guess the club needs to question the assumption that you need 6 genuine forwards (including a resting ruckman - I've never liked that idea. I prefer only one ruckman on the ground at any one time). I think the half forward flankers should be goal kicking midfielders. We are lacking in that department but I think this looks alright based on performance to date and wishful thinking for the future:

FF: Broome McKinley Hams/Neates
HF: LeCras Kennedy Weedon/Strijk

:)

Well, I guess the club needs to question the assumption that you need 6 genuine forwards (including a resting ruckman - I've never liked that idea. I prefer only one ruckman on the ground at any one time). I think the half forward flankers should be goal kicking midfielders. We are lacking in that department but I think this looks alright based on performance to date and wishful thinking for the future:

FF: Broome McKinley Hams/Neates
HF: LeCras Kennedy Weedon/Strijk

:)

The point being with the 6 forwards - is that not all are going to be on the ground at the same time. And add to that - 3 of the blokes you mentioned haven't been fit to play - so how can we drop two talls to bring them in?

However Geelong played Chapman, Mooney, Hawkins, Johnson, Varcoe, Byrnes, Rooke in their Flag team - that's 7 - plus the occasional Ottens drfiting forward.

Now those forwards largely push up the ground - but forwards they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back