The Worsfold coaching situation mega-thread

What to do?

• Got to go. Now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got to go at end of year

• It was an away game. That was expected. Keep him.

• I'm a Fremantle supporter and I suck.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Woosha " Comes To His Senses "

we should at some stage have our A midfield back together..so that will be interesting to see what difference it makes..to the whole team balance,as well as results.
If our A-Midfield is still Priddis, Selwood and Kerr, then forget about the balance changing or anything else.

I would like to see the members of the eagles admin and board who want to back Worsfold in and are so assertive about how good he is and so diaparaging of those who doubt him be challenged to put their neck on the line and agree to follow him out the door if we continue to perform this poorly and miss the finals again next year. Lets see what they would do if their necks were riding on this bet. I bet most of them would not be prepared to do it. I think most of the people backing him just can't mentally deal with consequences of sacking him and know within themselves that Worsfold has made majorly bad judgement calls up untill now and has been more wrong than right about almost everything and that mistakes are still being made and likely to continue to be made if we don't move him on.

I would like to see the members of the eagles admin and board who want to back Worsfold in and are so assertive about how good he is and so diaparaging of those who doubt him be challenged to put their neck on the line and agree to follow him out the door if we continue to perform this poorly and miss the finals again next year. Lets see what they would do if their necks were riding on this bet. I bet most of them would not be prepared to do it. I think most of the people backing him just can't mentally deal with consequences of sacking him and know within themselves that Worsfold has made majorly bad judgement calls up untill now and has been more wrong than right about almost everything and that mistakes are still being made and likely to continue to be made if we don't move him on.

:thumbsu: This

I agree why would you drop Stevenson I cant understand what is going on in his head, for mine he has completely lost the plot :confused:

:thumbsu: Excellent post. And this is fundamentally what I think - the guy really has had a fair old crack. He's had a good run at it, and I do not see improvement really occuring.

Re: Sack Mark Thompson

Woosha was the right man for the job at the time. I think AFL football has changed and he has failed to make the adjustments in playing style and training.

He's failed to impartially access the quality of our list and make the necessary changes at the selection table.

We should give him to the end of 2011. No harm can be done by that, given our current position.

Re: Sack Mark Thompson

Woosha was the right man for the job at the time. I think AFL football has changed and he has failed to make the adjustments in playing style and training.

He's failed to impartially access the quality of our list and make the necessary changes at the selection table.

We should give him to the end of 2011. No harm can be done by that, given our current position.
Not too sure about this. A new coach with a different approach might look to trade out a few of our 25 yo's for picks, with the thought that our list is still shallow in talent going forward.

Worsfold though, will be intent on making finals and the list/selection won't really change too much.

There's no 'once in a generation midfield' coming through to carry us this time round. We're gonna need skill on every line to face the next 4-5 years compared to other teams.

Best case scenario we pinch a flag against a team like Carlton... in between the fall of the current powers and the rise of the expansion teams + Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you EH, give him until the end of 2011.

From 2002, some aspects of his coaching worried me - the consistently ordinary forwardline, team selection (remember some of the team selections for the 2005 GF? god love a duck), restricted to plan A and plan B (since Hunter's retired he's really been stuffed re tactical changes). When games were dramatically turned around 2002-2006, it was usually because Cuz, Kerr and Judd put on afterburners in 3rd/4th quarter (eg THAT one vs Geelong!) rather than tactical changes.

But he has to be given credit for the '06 premiership. A few here have said that a drover's dog could have done that with the midfield we had as if the GF win was just a matter of time from 2001 onwards. But I remember the geniuses in the print & TV media predicting WC would finish 12th - 15th in both 2002 and 2003 (with Freo finishing top 4 in 2003 :eek:), so it wasn't that much of a lay down mezaire.

Agree, and I would LOVE to sit down with Nizzy, Barnaba (whoever else is so publicly adamant Worsfold is good and will stay) and ask why they're so convinced he's the right man....Given what we've seen they couldn't be more wrong, it's very worrying that we seem to have utterly clueless/defiant men in charge.

So let's say they sack him an appoint Dean Laidley - should they walk if after a couple of years Dean Laidley hasn't delivered?

By that logic - every time a board/executive makes a decision on a coach - the success should be intrinsically linked to the survival of the board.

So the melbourne board resigns if Bailey doesn't find success, the north board resigns if Scott doesn't win success, the hawthorn board resigns if clarkson doesn't get the hawks back to the top echelon?

Just another case of a typically hysterical call.

Next we'll be sacking the recruiters any time a player we select doesn't become play a 100 games.

Worsfold needs to either be given a new 3 year contract now or replaced at years end.

If we give him next year what can he really achieve in that time? He can top up on more experienced players and coach for his job and maybe be around the final 8 next year and that will appease many people

Or he can continue with his rebuild into the future but that has only just started (again) so will take 2-4 years from now. At the end of 2011 if he is in this rebuild then we are then sort of commited to go with him from there or what was the point of him coaching in 2011??

Sign him up for 3 years right now or at years end or move him on and give someone else the opportunity.

If he coaches in 2011 without any new contract you can rest assure he will coach for his job and not the clubs future. If he finishes 8th-9th or 10th then that will probably be a pss mark and then they will give him a new contract and then he will start his rebuild.

The club has to either make the hard decision or they are going to possibly put themselves in an awkward position where the media, many members and supporters will not only have the knives out but they will be very sharp.

Worsfold needs to either be given a new 3 year contract now or replaced at years end.

If we give him next year what can he really achieve in that time? He can top up on more experienced players and coach for his job and maybe be around the final 8 next year and that will appease many people

Or he can continue with his rebuild into the future but that has only just started (again) so will take 2-4 years from now. At the end of 2011 if he is in this rebuild then we are then sort of commited to go with him from there or what was the point of him coaching in 2011??

Sign him up for 3 years right now or at years end or move him on and give someone else the opportunity.

If he coaches in 2011 without any new contract you can rest assure he will coach for his job and not the clubs future. If he finishes 8th-9th or 10th then that will probably be a pss mark and then they will give him a new contract and then he will start his rebuild.

The club has to either make the hard decision or they are going to possibly put themselves in an awkward position where the media, many members and supporters will not only have the knives out but they will be very sharp.

Woosh doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who 'coaches for his job', he is a big picture thinker not a short sighted selfish man.

I agree with you on this.

To a Mod primarily

I wasn't able to be online yesterday and when I got back on I noticed that a very interesting thread on rumours re admin/coaching situation had disappeared/got bumped. I'm interested in knowing what happened to it and why?

:thumbsu: This

I agree why would you drop Stevenson I cant understand what is going on in his head, for mine he has completely lost the plot :confused:

I went to melbourne for the game last weekend - and take it from me, Stevenson was shocking. Looked scared a couple of times and did absolutely nothing to show he deserved a game.
The one who should not be playing is Wilkes. He was totally crap. My brother (who lives in Melbourne) and has not seen a lot of Wilkes could not believe such a substandard footballer was getting a game. His errors were mind blowing - he gave Jack a few of his goals with his defensive errors - like punching the ball towards the Tigers goal in a spoiling contest. When he was doing so much damage in defence, he was moved to attack where he was just as hopeless. I know we are very short of players ( with our massive injury concerns) but please, no more Wilkes. What I wouldn't give for one Brent Staker right now!

I went to melbourne for the game last weekend - and take it from me, Stevenson was shocking. Looked scared a couple of times and did absolutely nothing to show he deserved a game.
The one who should not be playing is Wilkes. He was totally crap. My brother (who lives in Melbourne) and has not seen a lot of Wilkes could not believe such a substandard footballer was getting a game. His errors were mind blowing - he gave Jack a few of his goals with his defensive errors - like punching the ball towards the Tigers goal in a spoiling contest. When he was doing so much damage in defence, he was moved to attack where he was just as hopeless. I know we are very short of players ( with our massive injury concerns) but please, no more Wilkes. What I wouldn't give for one Brent Staker right now!

I agree he didn't have his best game, but there are others who have had worse games then him on a consistent basis and yet are not dropped. he was not our worst from what I saw. :confused:

I agree. I expect that Worsfold will get another year after this and the decision about whether he gets another contract will get boiled down to how we go in the first 11 games next season. If we win 5 or more he gets another gig, if we don't they start quietly looking for his replacement. Thats what will happen and it is ridiculous. The bloke has been there 10 years nearly. You know what you are getting. He is not going to suddenly re-invent himself or change what he is doing. We don't need another 10 games to judge and to know what we are going to get from him. The fundamentals are not going to change. Worsfold and every coach in his situation should be judged on what has hapenned and what they have done over the past 2-3 years, not what hapenned in the last 10 games. But that is what they will simplify and boil it down to. They might aswell boil it down to tossing a coin or reading a bunch of tea leaves.

So let's say they sack him an appoint Dean Laidley - should they walk if after a couple of years Dean Laidley hasn't delivered?

By that logic - every time a board/executive makes a decision on a coach - the success should be intrinsically linked to the survival of the board.

So the melbourne board resigns if Bailey doesn't find success, the north board resigns if Scott doesn't win success, the hawthorn board resigns if clarkson doesn't get the hawks back to the top echelon?

Just another case of a typically hysterical call.

Next we'll be sacking the recruiters any time a player we select doesn't become play a 100 games.

The point being made is that the people at the club protecting and pumping him up don't believe the bull**** they are feeding us either. Nisbett in particular is giving us a sales pitch. If he was forced to bet on this and put something of value to himself on the line instead of cheap words fed to the media he would be betting against Worsfold turning it around aswell.

There is no point arguing with you because you are coming at this from an emotional angle and your answer to everything is going to be "what about 2006?". You won't even consider any other evidence. But just let me clear up something you and many others seem to be confused about - John Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles footy club. John and the club and two very seperate and distinct entities. John works for the club but he isn't the club. Disagreeing with what John is doing in his role does not equal being negative, turning your back on the club or being a traitor/not being a true supporter. John is not the club, he is an employee of the club.

Conversely defending him blindly and to the death does not make you the clubs biggest supporter ever or a better or more committed supporter than people who disagree with what Worsfold is doing because Worsfold is not the club. Try and seperate the two entities in your mind and realise that agreeing with Worsfold does not equal being a true supporter and disagreeing does not make you less of a supporter because Worsfold and the club are not one and the same.

It's like somebody convincing themselves that anybody who disagrees with what Kevin Rudd is doing or has done or has not done as Prime minister means that they are anti-Australian and are turning their back in the country and being a traitor and slamming the whole country and everything and everyone in it. Kevin Rudd is not Australia just like john Worsfold is not the West Coast Eagles football club.

rc127.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back